It is time Albury --> Perth

theDefiant1

Ullo all,

It is time to think about the route home to Perth. This is journey number 6 across the 'bor, and thought I might make my movements public in case I pass someone on the way, and have the opportunity say hello.

S & I will be heading off towards Adelaide some day between the 24th and 26th of June. Thing is, at this point in time, we don't know which way to go. We have one of 3 choices (that I can think of)

1) Albury -> Mildura (stop for night) -> Adelaide

2) Albury -> Bendigo (stop for night) -> Adelaide

3) Albury -> Adelaide

Any suggestions?

We'll spend 2-3 nights in Adelaide. I'm also looking at going on a Warbird Adventure Flight (http://www.warbirdflights.net/index.htm) - anyone done this before?

Any info on touristy things to do in Adelaide would be appreciated.

After Adelaide, we'll pretty much make a beeline for Perth - we've pretty much done everything along the way already.

We NEED to be back in Perth by Saturday 30 June.

for the most scenic route, take Albury to Swan Hill along the Vic side of the river, then cut across through Ouyen to Tailem Bend.

This time of year it's extremely green through the fields there.

Though having said that Bendigo - St Arnaud - Horsham is pretty nice too.... hmmm

I suggest Drive along the river to Echuca then down to Bendigo (stay the night) then Bendigo - St Arnaud - Horsham - Murray Bridge - Adelaide

While in Adelaide, be sure to head up into the hills, a nice day trip is to go the Harndorf, go to the Mount Lofty Summit Look out visit the towns in the hills like Gumeracha, Lobethal and Oakbank. Those roads are awesome and the Stivo will love it. :D

Also another good day trip is to head south to the McLaren Vale and Willunga (also the southern Beaches are nice, but not really the season for them) and do some wine tasting. There are a few chartered tours that go from Adelaide itself if you want to avoid drink driving (I've driven myself, samples the wares of 4-5 wineries, though only a selection of a select few at each and spat most of it, and blew under 0.02)

Oh forgot to add... on the trip from Adelaide to Perth, make sure you cover the Eyre Peninsula ;) make the fist stop for the night Port Lincoln, then head up to Ceduna and across the Nulla-'bore' from there. Be sure to stop at the 'head of the bight' too because it's whale season right now ;) the view from there is also very spectacular along the cliffs.

If you want the scenic route, Bendigo will be dull. EVERYTHING with be a uniform colour of blown due to the drought. That whole area has no water and it's just plain boring

So I have just been told by someone who has just been there - his words were "Go if you want to look at buildings..."

Ummmm, no. Not really.

A few changes to the plans: we have decided to forego Adelaide, and will be heading straight across, albeit at a gentler pace than we have done in the past (We drove from Albury to Perth in little over 2 days).

The route is now:

Albury --> Renmark --> Pt Augusta --> Ceduna --> Norseman --> Coolgardie (pass) --> Perth (this does not indicate stops)

We will stop along the way when we need or want to. So th question changes to "what can be done or seen along the way?"

One thing I did notice was Alligator Gorge in SA. Looks like a nice stop and stretch). The Bight we have done before, and will most probably do again if it's open. If there aren't any whales Dylan, I will strip down, hop in the drink and quickly do an impersonation of one. Sarah said she would do the Nullabor Nymph streak across the road, but i'm not hopeful. Something about it being too cold.

If there's anything else you guys know of, please share it - this will most probably be the last journey for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Perth now after a very uneventful drive (fuel consumption average = 8.5L/100km, lugging a few 100kg in the back).

Overtook a road train as it went over road debris and lost a bit of paint on the passenger side - will need professional fixing :(

Just letting y'all know that my access to the net is pretty poor (dail-up sometimes works), and broadband does not seem to be an option ATM. Thank you to those who have PM'd me with info - all answers at this point in time are 'no' as I have to patch the paintwork. I do check emails, so if you need me for anything, PM me and I will be notified.

Chat to you then!