CAI & HYDRO LOCK

Ive driven without my inner gaurd and the POD was saturated. Not 1 problem.

thats good to hear! then im not gonna waste money on those plastic cover.. thx!!

just hate to switch lanes to avoid puddles... <_<

get a SRI....

Ive driven without my inner gaurd and the POD was saturated. Not 1 problem.

thats good to hear! then im not gonna waste money on those plastic cover.. thx!!

just hate to switch lanes to avoid puddles... <_<

get a SRI....

And suck all that nice warm air in the engine bay, unless offcourse it is boxed off and ducted.

:blink: I just watch the video posted. Damn you guys have guts for driving through that water, it was deep......... :blink:

Edited by JAZE55

hey guys ..

i drove an ascent with a cai .. and boi oh boi .. sydney had some crazy ***** rains man .. and i survived IT !!! haha .. as long as u dont drive in puddles and stuff or drive fast into them then ur fine .. at first i was so nervous abotu driving in the rain .. but i got over it .. just drive in the middle lane if there is one .. and if not then drive on the furthest away from the gutter.. :D high chance of puddle build ups :D xD

what happens when u hydro lock ur engine ? can it b used again or not ?

Coming out of Junction Fair underground car park on the Friday of the QBIII storms/floods, I had water up to the lip of my bonnet (which is also the height of the intake snorkel, fortunately it didn't drown itself, however if I'd had a CAI down in the front guard it would have been completely immersed in water. Later on, I was with my g/f seeing if we could get to her friend's house in Swansea North, by which time was mostly flooded: going down the middle of the road, I could get about 2 streets away before the water got above sill level and I backed out. In both situations if I'd had a pod in the guard, it would have been completey surrounded by water. In this sort of situation, the car won't hydro-lock but it WILL stall, as the engine can't suck in any air through the water. Since manifold vacuum can only reach ~-100kPa gauge (ie -1bar), it's highly unlikely that the engine can "suck" in standing water, but if you plow into it the water CAN flood the inlet and thus flow into the manifold, causing BIG dramas

As to whether it can be used again or not, think of it this way: An engine essentially takes a volume of air/fuel, and compresses it to roughly one tenth of it's original volume (N/A cars). Gas is resonably compressible - water isn't. If a piston suddenly swallows a gulp of water at 3000rpm, it stops VERY VERY quickly. This is when things break, such as valves and cranks.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 1 month later...

yeah me too i wouldnt be game to drive through it..especially as the upgrade stivos the fog lights dont even seal with the bumper....im almost tempted to put a thin layer of silicone around so that no water can sneak in through the front

Went to do a simple creek (rocky) crossing which I had done a few months earlier in 306 which felt lower than a stivo however, the car stalled half way across. The water was about a cm off the sills (floor well sealed). climbed out mindow, checked engine, fan still going as you could hear it hitting water. next choice open air filter box and gently reverse out, once out close box and everything was good. There is not enough suck to get water into airbox if standard. CAI (good luck) probably wont goes as deep and same sucking power.