Aurion presara fuel economy

jonbays

I am starting to put a few km's on the Presara and have been keeping a log.

So far the fuel consumption on the dash disply has been from an all time best of 7.6 to a worst of 17.1 L/100Km.

From a full tank to full tank calculation over two fills the average is 9.22 L/100Km in a mix of driving freeway and city Sydney and Canberra.

Around town if in real inner city traffic with low average speeds it can be quite bad 14-16 L/100km's but with any 80 kmh plus average speed roads mixed in it improves very quickly.

Certainly the economy lives up to the claims on the window sticker.

Hardly any point buying the Camry 4 cyl version if you can be gentle on the acclerator of the Aurion and don't exclusively drive in heavy traffic.

Yeah not only in terms of fuel efficiency the Camry looks bad compared to the Aurion but the Camry Sportivo for example is $35k! I think the higher models as well are even more getting into the $40ks. Why would you bother when you can get an Aurion with prity much the same features (as the ATX is very good value for money in particular) and a much more powerful yet also efficient engine.

Edited by aussie_camry

Doesn't the trip computer have a function that tells you the average fuel consumption since you changed the battery? ......

Interesting to know this - I don't believe the trip computer but I have to keep the odometer reading (for tax reason, not log book) therefore my numbers look like these:

Comodore 3.8: 9.7 (better than the Vienta) over 4 years 100,000k

Vienta Grande V6 (a bit heavier than Camry V6): 9.8 over 4 years 100,000k

BMW 318i 2L: 8.7 same, over 4 years 100,000k

I will post number for the Presara sometimes later after running it for at least 1 month

BH

Doesn't the trip computer have a function that tells you the average fuel consumption since you changed the battery?

The Camry and the Corolla have one, so I can't see why the Aurion wouldn't.

The Aurion display is tank ave L/100km. It resets on every new full tank. it just calcs the L/100Km from the distance travelled and the fuel used. On battery disconnection it will no doubt lose count of where it was and reset as if it had a full tank I expect but haven't tried. it updates every 10 seconds but changes are very fast only when you say just fill up and drive straight onto a freeway doing 110kmh in a few seconds. if you have benn driving for 200k in the city and head onto the freeway it changes very slowly.

So the Aurion fuel consumption display is tank average not instantaneous and not lifetime average.

I still feel the full tank to full tank litres used divided by the actaul km difference between the full tanks gives the most accurate record and it is different from the display L/100Km.

• 2 weeks later...
I still feel the full tank to full tank litres used divided by the actaul km difference between the full tanks gives the most accurate record and it is different from the display L/100Km

Yeah thats the only way to get a pretty accurate reading.

FWIW, I got an indicated 10.8 l/100km for my first tank in the ZR6, city only driving. IT only took 54 litres or so, so I think I can stretch the tank even though it indicates cruise distance to empty (think this was touched on elsewhere)

I still feel the full tank to full tank litres used divided by the actaul km difference between the full tanks gives the most accurate record and it is different from the display L/100Km

Yeah thats the only way to get a pretty accurate reading.

FWIW, I got an indicated 10.8 l/100km for my first tank in the ZR6, city only driving. IT only took 54 litres or so, so I think I can stretch the tank even though it indicates cruise distance to empty (think this was touched on elsewhere)

the best i got was 9.2 on the highway. Have covered 2702kms. Only covered 12 kms on the freeway, started at 11l+/100km something and dropped to 9.2L near hoddle st. By the way does anyone know how the dual climate control works??? Whats dual stand for? What does it do when its turned off or on?

Edited by Buri_ZR6

... Whats dual stand for? What does it do when its turned off or on?

It stands for: "Dual zone climate control which provides optimum comfort for everyone by enabling both the front passenger and driver to adjust their own temperature. Now that will stop some arguments".

My 2 cents question is: Does the air move ?

BH

... Whats dual stand for? What does it do when its turned off or on?

It stands for: "Dual zone climate control which provides optimum comfort for everyone by enabling both the front passenger and driver to adjust their own temperature. Now that will stop some arguments".

My 2 cents question is: Does the air move ?

BH

We have the ZR6 which obviously has dual zone climate control. I love it because when I'm driving I have the temp around 20 deg and my wife has hers on around 24-25 deg. Obviously I have cool air blowing on me but the overall temp in the car would be somewhere in between. BTW the temp for the vents for the back seats is an average of the two front settings. So people sitting in the back have no say on temp.

1st tank on Aurion has got me a bit worried. 230km and used 37.86L = 16.5L/100km in city driving.

Bought it instead of a 4 cylinder car (camry or euro) because Toyota had deals going and crossed my fingers that the fuel consumption sticker lived up to it being no worse than a current camry.

My other car, a mazda 6, averaged 8.5L /100km over the same period with city driving and a 100km stretch on the freeway.

1st tank on Aurion has got me a bit worried. 230km and used 37.86L = 16.5L/100km in city driving.

Bought it instead of a 4 cylinder car (camry or euro) because Toyota had deals going and crossed my fingers that the fuel consumption sticker lived up to it being no worse than a current camry.

My other car, a mazda 6, averaged 8.5L /100km over the same period with city driving and a 100km stretch on the freeway.

the mazda 6 is going to be more economical than an Aurion for sure. It's about the mass in KG of the car. The 6 is smaller lighter and has a good smaller engine.

having said that the 16.5L/100km isn't good. what was the average speed?

As mentioned in one of my note, my worse experience was with a TP Magna but only around 15.5 l/100 - I sold it 6 year ago. I think you have to run more than 230km, say 4 tanks, and workout the average. 16.5 is a big number.

BH

having said that the 16.5L/100km isn't good. what was the average speed?

ATX model. No trip computer so no average speed but all city driving.

It Could get this low but it would have to be ave speeds less than 20kmh ie pushbikes are passing you in traffic jam type stuff.

Drive it like i stole it off a full tank I can see 18 on my display for a few k's until common sense prevails! On ave over a few 100k i would think you should be 12-13L/100km worst though

• 1 month later...

I will post number for the Presara sometimes later after running it for at least 1 month

BH

Yes, after 1 month - these are the numbers:

petrolfs8.gif

One tank using 95 but from my view it's totally hopeless. I put 35l on the very first tank (Toyota put 35l ?). Normal daily home-work-home and shopping weekends.

BH

Edited by BanHien

• 2 weeks later...

BH

Yes, after 1 month - these are the numbers:

petrolfs8.gif

One tank using 95 but from my view it's totally hopeless. I put 35l on the very first tank (Toyota put 35l ?). Normal daily home-work-home and shopping weekends.

BH

Just having another "test": A return trip (over 2500km from) Melbourne to Sydney with 2 days travelling around few busy streets in Sydney

Best: 7.838l/100km - Worse: 11.994l/100km (tank to tank)

BH

Edited by BanHien