I'm unhappy with insurers / smash repairer

Hi all

Some of you may remember my thread on my accident, and the damage that was done to the front left section of my car.

(Check the link in my sig for a refresher)

Well, there has been some communication between the insurer and I about the repairs taken out, and a few points that I raised were that

• A strip from the rear left quarter panel of the car had not been replaced;
  • The rim that was damaged was replaced with a Vienta rim, but a VXI and not a Grande rim.

The insurer got back to me and assured me that the smash repairer would be in contact with me when the part came in. This was now over 2 weeks ago.

When queried about the mis-matching rim, their response was "unfortunately there was nothing we could do about that because the rims were discontinued. So [the smash repairers] sent me a photo of your spare rim that was on the car and we matched it as close as we could."

I'm sorry if I was misinformed, but when you take insurance out on a car that you're going to have on finance, doesn't that cover EVERYTHING that you bought the car with?

I don't think I should have to drive my car around with 3 different types of rims, as some might have seen the 2 rims on the left hand side of the car are COMPLETELY different styles. AND to add insult to injury, the tyre that is on the replacement rim is unevenly warn!

So, I thought I'd put this question to the friendly folk of TOCA to see what their responses and feelings are on this situation, before I contact The Department of Fair Trading / Motor Vehical Repair Industry Authority regarding what I can do to rectify this situation.

I thank you for any wisdom.

- Brad

Edited by alarum

oh and not to mention it took almost 3 months to fix in the first place :o

brad who you with again? just to warn ppl out there what lack of service they provided you with.

My insurer is Fortron who are based out of Western Australia

And the smash repairer was George's Smash Repairs in Gladesville, NSW...

__STAY AWAY from both of these if at all possible__ :)

So, maybe I should ring the MVRIA and explain my case?

after gettin racv, IF they do giv u rwc, then for me, i will take my paint-ball gun up, pick some "armo", go practice some fun COUNTER_STRIKe!!!

I have never believe in insurance, never rely on these bullshxt

Haha...

Thanks guys, I'm in NSW and RWC's don't exist (:

I've joined with AAMI now. Joined up on the weekend.

$151 a month for comprehensive on market value of $11,800! My car has only depreciated a whole $100 since buying it...

That is pretty odd that they just gave you a new unmatching wheel. Usually I would have thought they would try and cash-settle you (i.e., pay you out for the reasonable cost of the wheel) so that you could perhaps put that towards a new set of wheels, or maybe picking one up second-hand somewhere.

You should contact your insurer and find out their complaint procedures, and take that as far as it will go, or until you get satisfaction from them. If that doesn't help, then go to the Insurance Ombudsman Service, they don't look too kindly on insurers who stuff their customers around.

You're probably wise to find a new insurer, but definitely follow this up, you have a right to get what you paid for.

Just a tip ... don't expect them to replace all the wheels just because one has gone, just like an insurer won't replace all the carpet in a house just because one room's carpet is damaged.

Contact Department Of Fair Trading...

The rim that was damaged must be replaced with the same rim... If not able to buy new, should be sourced second hand, fixed up, repainted and fitted with the same tyre that was on the car, if that tyre was damaged, should be replaced with a brand new tyre of the same brand, size and type that was previously fitted...

In regards to the protector mould, that should also be sourced brand new and fitted...

• 1 month later...

Definately take it up with Fortron, you shouldn't have to deal directly with the smash repairer. And the smash repairer will be much more wary of ****** off a whole insurance company than just some guy.

Actually I am with NRMA. NRMA suggested that should be other driver's fault, as he cutting to my lane. Delvin St to Victroia Rd. Anyway, my driver side door (totally damaged) right hand side passenger and some damage above the rear wheel panel. Checked around here, West Ryde Smash Reparis & Col’s Body shop... Not sure where else is good.

I'm glad I've warned someone of George's.

Just to add, after replacing my suspension recently, we found the strut they put on the left hand side had NO life in it, whatsoever.

And, I'm stiiiillll waiting for the rear-passenger side mould.