buying a new corolla sportivo

Hey guys,

I'm definately going to be buying a sportivo very soon. I'm going to have one mechanically inspected soon which is a 2003 model one with 50000kms on it. Purchasing for $18000. What do you think i should look out for with these cars?

Is this a good price as well?

Yeah other ones wouldn't go that low. The lowest i could get out of others with similar kilometres was $19000. These are all standard ones as well. Is quite hard to find a modded one. There was a nice white one in Cabramatta that was modded up with CAI, lowered, short shifter kit but it apparently sold. But it was selling for $22000.

There was about 3 or 4 modded Sportivo's on car sales for the last 4 weeks or so varying in price from 21 to 24k. I know because my car was one of them.

If you are buying a pre facelift sportivo check to see if it has a silver and black sticker in the driver's door jamb. they are the recall stickers for things that Toyota recalled the vehicles to be fixed/replaced. Check the rest of this site for all the details etc etc.

Hey magic yeah Camden is quite close. When i get the sportivo which should be soon since i am awaiting mechanical inspection, already got deposit on it and agreed on $18000 if revs and mechanical check is good i will have to check out your rolla. Especially since you have done some car sound installations. I took my sub and amp out of my old rolla which will be ready to go straight into the new one so some ideas on how to mount it to the rolla without having it move around in the boot would be great.

sweet for sure man :D

um u are talking about amp locations...um there is a link in my sig below to my install..it required alot of work the best place and im thinking about changing mine is the back of the seat but i wuld make a new frame so its not directly on the seat just looks like it.... it u get my drift.

if u are going full stealth mode check out "CjRasmu" in member rides, or if u are going for show looks i would do something like "MR and MSROLA" ride... i love it and would so do it myself but i need the boot room lol.

anyway yer there are alot of thing u can do

:D

Have no idea where you are looking, all the 05 sportivos i see are over $23000. Most have low kilometres as well unless this one for $20000 has high kilometres. Remeber i'm only looking at the ones in NSW not in other states or countries.

Yes $20000 would be a good buy for one but i didn't come across any. I know dealerships that want to sell them for the price they were brand new. That is ridiculous cars are suppost to depreciate and not keep their value. They will soon learn that they ain't going to sell the car at that price and learn that their dealership is storage for this car until they drop their price. They must think their added 3 year warranty they give you is the reason why they try and flog it off for 4-5k higher than private sale vehicles.

Some bad news about the sportivo i checked out. State roads did a good check on the car everything was good with the car except for 2 things. Number 1 the car had money owing on it which is a small issue to solve. But the biggest issue was the engine numbers on the block did not match the numbers on the cars rego papers or the log books.

Strange i thought. The only thing i'm thinking is maybe someone has swapped around the engines with a higher kilometer engine and put the low kilometer one in another car?????? Could be a number of things. What do you guys think?

change in engine numbers isnt a problem.

just means it has a different engine to when it first was made

for example, Northy's car will have a different engine number cos he blew his original one up :P

i wouldnt worry too much, just dont buy the car til the money is no longer owing

i wouldnt worry too much, just dont buy the car til the money is no longer owing

wrong... what you do it make a cheque payable directly to the financier for the remainder of the loan, and the rest to person. It's not that big a deal buying a car with money owing, just as long as you buy it for more then what is being owed.

But the engine does seem sus, usually changes in engine number get registered though the RTA.

just as long as you buy it for more then what is being owed.

eh thats what a meant Mr Dyl.... you never know whats owed, and if the person wont tell u, fat chance the bank will.

But the engine does seem sus, usually changes in engine number get registered though the RTA.

if they are done by a proper workshop..

eh thats what a meant Mr Dyl.... you never know whats owed, and if the person wont tell u, fat chance the bank will.

that's why you ask to see the most recent statement.

that's why you ask to see the most recent statement.

yup... having most recently brought my stivo, with money owing on it...

I asked the owner how much they had owing, and what company the finance is on...

Then you purchase the revs certificate, and as soon as you do that, it tells you how much they owe, and which company also.

so if that don't match up, i'll be abit weiry bout that.

but in the end, if you get a bank cheque wrritten to there finance company, the owner cannot get the money, and if they don't pay the cheque to the company, they'll still be owing...

Have the person contact the finance company and find out what the payout figure is.

Then make the cheque according the figure provided.

If you can accompany them to the bank and watch them pay it off.

Yeah the money owing is a small issue but the engine number is a concern for me. Revs check came up with the engine number in the log books and on the rego papers. It had no record of the different engine in the car. So basically the RTA has no idea where the initial engine is they think it is in this car but it is obviously somewhere else???? So yeah there is a mis match going on. The thing that concerns me is why didn't the seller tell me this initially if they knew. Ill have to wait a bit as the seller is overseas at the moment and is hard to contact. The car is at his parents so they were there during the check up but had no idea why there was a different engine in the car. They are in the process of trying to get in contact with their son to find out why the mis match and also are going to call Sutherland toyota which is where the car was purchased brand new.

Well i also remembered that this year will be the first year the car will have to be properly checked as the last 3 registrations required no check up so i think the owner is trying to offload the car before it gets up to rego and it will be unregisterable for the new owner.

Edited by stuart bauer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I got a tough decision to make at the moment. Found myself a nice blue 2005 sportivo for under $20000 with close to 12months rego. Only issue is 86000kms on the clock and the car will need 2 new tyres as they are bald. The funny thing is the bald tyres are on the same side of the car. Unless the tyres have been rotated what could this mean?