Clear Coat on Rims

mulla

Hi all,

Recently fitted some new rims to my camry and does that make the car look soooo much different!

Anyway been looking at some wheel cleaners to clean them when they're dirty and on some products they say that it can only be applied to rims with a "clear coat" finish? I've tried to google my answer but I gather it might be a bit of a noob question that it's not published :huh: . Anyone know what this is and if I can tell if I have them or do I need to contact the manufacturer?

I've got some xhp sabre machined/gunmetal rims if that helps.

Thanks in advance

i have no idea about your rims, but last week i went looking for some wheel cleaner and most of them say they only work on certain surfaces and i had no idea what mine was either. I ended up finding some Turtle Wax wheel cleaner which says it can work on any surface (about $18 from supercheap auto)

ive only used it once so far but seemed to work good.. i think it was this one http://www.autobarn.net/all-wheel-and-tire-cleaner.html

I used to wash with soap too but after a year or so brake dust will gather in hard to reach corners :( I was thinking that using specific wheel clearners would help. I might wash with soap for now and if dirt starts gathering I'll use wheel cleaners to assist :)

I don't have that problem. After washing my car I jack it up and take all 4 wheels off and wash everywhere on them. I just use the same shampoo as on the car. Plus it doubles as a good time to rotate the wheels.

Surely you're kidding :blink:

I don't have that problem. After washing my car I jack it up and take all 4 wheels off and wash everywhere on them. I just use the same shampoo as on the car. Plus it doubles as a good time to rotate the wheels.

Surely you're kidding :blink:

Nup, not kidding. I only wash my car every month or so. Water restrictions and all... Plus a car always looks better once the wheels have had a proper clean.

Even tho I haven't really answered the original topic :lol:

Edited by SuperDave

• 3 weeks later...

Haha I try to wash and polish my car on a regular basis. Im a sucker for the drive through car wash though. But the one I use, nothing touches the car, no brushes or crap like that, just the water/soap etc. Taking my wheels off each time I wash however.... probably a bit enthusiastic for me.

SuperDave's idea is a great one for those with aftermarket wheels, especially white! Just jack it up, put stands underneath it or your stock rims back on, then go to town on the whole of your wheel. They really look great when they're 100% clean everywhere. If you feel really keen you can try to attack the little brake rotor shields that tend to build up a lot of crud which in turn drips on the inner rim of your wheel when water gets in there.

As for cleaning products I've bought that TurtleWax one in the big green bottle and it seems to do the trick. Also Meguiars have the new wheel brushes which are great for softly cleaning the face or getting into the little annoying bits that collect the dust. You will find that brake dust often needs physical contact with a brush or sponge to be completely removed. Same to be said for the body of the car, high pressure water won't remove everything ;)

Thanks everyone for the continued input into this oldish thread :) I think the removing rims & cleaning is a little much for me... I guess it makes it much easier if you have one of those electric um... electric... nut remover :whistling:

Only have washed them once with soap... probably won't need the special rim product in a few months but it's always good to know in advance :)