Where to from here? (Modification Advice)

parkerst

I've got the following vehicle, but I still want more performance out of it (WITHOUT forced intake); thus, where to from here?

1. Which upgrades will give me the best performance increase

2. What sort of upgrades should I be looking at?

3. Is there preferred celica/toyota performance mechanics that I can trust? Specifically one that i can have look at the thing and tell me what i Do and don't have (i'm clueless mechanically)

4. Are there any upgrades that i've not listed that i should be considering/looking at.

At the moment, my budget is just under $3,000

Base:

1990 st184 SX Celica ala http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/reap.../CarProfile.jpg

Have's:

Hardened camshaft

Bored to 2.4L, completely rebuilt engine, with all your usual fixes (ie new rings bearings etc)

Flat top pistons; 90mm..i THINK.

Extractors

Hi-Flo Cat

2.5in cannon

Black-Wired Immobilizer

Oil pressure and water temp tacho's

New Selector cables

Exedy Clutchkit

Custom dash lighting etc - nothing interesting

Gates Racing timing belt

Bosal header pipe

Carburetor

1.5In king-spring lower kit

Want's:

I want to put a 15' x 4' filter straight through the bonet (preferably under a scoop) and whack that on top of the intake manifold (if possible), if not, a Weapon R short ram intake..or atleast a bloody cone or pod cai -_-

Exelutch Flywheel

Performance ECU

Carbon fiber hood

Timing upgrades

Crankshaft pulley

High-Voltage ignition system

Full pulley upgrade kit

TVIS

Helix throttle body spacer

Edited by parkerst

My Mechanical Experience goes about as far as building and welding a supercharger cross turbocharger (ie running the turbine off a pulley from a 0.5x gear connected to the drive shaft, then adding rpm to the turbine through exhaust pressure) for laughs on a 1cyl 50cc gokart, using a shoddy axial turbine engine which siezed up and exploded because I didn't have enough oil pressure on the bearings to handle the rpm i made it produce, and I had no rpm regulator

(it sounded f**king cool though, almost like a ramjet)

Edited by parkerst

I think the first item on your "wants" list should be the ECU. Since you've bored out the engine to 2.4Ltr, the extra 200cc would be put to better use if it was tuned for it. where you go from there depends if you want a "torquey" or "Peaky" engine. You've got the 5S-Fe engine right? I know you said you wanted to keep it n/a but check this out:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/dsm2wrx/Project_Turbo_5sfe.htm

This guys turbo'd his 5S-fe powred MR2

I'd love to turbo it but i can't get away with that (p plates in NSW). I have successfully applied for minor modification approval/exemption, which means i can perform engine modifications, but not forced induction.

Edited by parkerst

Guest dong-soo
Have's:

Carburetor

Want's:

TVIS

you have a carb on the engine ??????

you want tvis ????????

lol at tvis... on bigport 4age engines people usually remove it when doing the engine up.

i think smallport 4age proves there is no need for TVIS at all.

best option is.... big camshafts (and valve mods to suit oviously) and an ecu to run the new camshafts. run a really thin headgasket.

Have's:

Carburetor

Want's:

TVIS

you have a carb on the engine ??????

you want tvis ????????

lol at tvis... on bigport 4age engines people usually remove it when doing the engine up.

i think smallport 4age proves there is no need for TVIS at all.

best option is.... big camshafts (and valve mods to suit oviously) and an ecu to run the new camshafts. run a really thin headgasket.

Now i'm confused. I thought the 5th gen ST184 celicas ran either a 5S-FE or a 3S-GE engine. the 4a-ge was in the corolla of the same era right?

ok, so for under $3000

a ) thin headgasket (keep in mind, its bored out to 2.4l) and valve mods (you mean egr and pcv valves?)

B ) big camshaft

c ) new ecu

d ) dyno tune

Any suggestions on brands and mechanics for these mods?

Edited by parkerst

Guest dong-soo

cams with big duration and lift will help improve torque and power (from the extra lift and duration)

extra compression will help improve the car all throught the rev range. note for big cams you want extra compression.

and an ecu is needed to get the engine to run properly and also tune to take advantage of the extra capcity and bigger camshafts.

you mentioned you have a carb on the engine ???? what engine are you running ???? sorry if i didnt see, i havnt read yet >__<"

I'd be guessing if i told you, but I'm pretty sure I don't have a carbi, I think I was thinking headers :/

Sorry, i'm learning this **** real fast lol

in that case you may want to do a little more research.

here's a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine

You have the 5S-FE engine. You said it's bored out to 2.4ltr. who did the work? where you the owner when this was done?

You could also join this forum:

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/

they are celica specific and collectively have alot more knowledge on all things celica than this forum. the only downside is the members are mostly based in Canada. just have a quick scour of the threads and you'll most likely find out what you need to know.

I wasn't the owner during the completion of most of this work however, the ex-owner is a good mate of mine, a mechanic, (and has been since early high school :/ ) that I see every now and then and there is a lot of genuine trust between us; he wouldn't sell me a lemon, just as I wouldn't sell him a piece of junk computer, but at the same time, i need to learn this crap myself as he is moving overseas in about a month.

Thanks for the link too.