Ok... So The ECU and Gear Selector Cables are In..

Sorry, i know we have covered this topic previously but i have a few questions to ask and in reality this topic is going to have something else in it too.

I'll start off OFF TOPIC! IF you had a Black Sportivo at Stewart Toyota today - number plate AQO-***? I suggest you check the lower part of your drivers side door... as when the driver brought the car out to me today (the wrong car!) he swung the door open and cleaned up a step (*PHEW* for me and bad luck for you :'( ). The car has aftermarket goldish? mags i think (when i saw him driving towards me i thought i'd scored some new rims ;) ). So justr thought i'd pass that message on!

ON TOPIC -

Those of you who have had the ECU and cables done... the second you hopped in the car did you hear a completely different note from you car? I ask this because mine is a HELL of a lot different and on acceleration it almost sounds like something blowing air pretty hard under the left hand side (i don't have CAI and i didn't hear it before).

I haven't had much of a chance to experiment yet as i have just come STRIGHT home... but i will say the little tiny bit i did... the engine itself sounds much quieter. The car DEFINITELY feels more responsive IMO. One thing i did hear is the high pitch squeal. I got that in first and second pretty much straight away after picking the car up. I wish i knew what that was.

On the cables... well the good news is... no rattles as yet. They took forever to install the cables so i guess thats why i want to make sure this noise is normal and make sure they haven't bumped something along the way. I wouldn't say the noise sounds EXTREMELY abnormal... but its just something that wasn't there before. It could just be the new air filter lid? but i haven't heard anyone else mention it... so bah!

Anyways... i'm gonna take it for a run later on tonight and see if i can actually hit lift a little more and see what changing gear is like now with the new cables and the new, 'heavier' gear knob.

Cheers for any info on this...

if ur talking about the passenger side where the air noise is comin from thats the side the air intake is on, during the recall they wouldve put a new top cover and a bell mouth in ur air box so thats possibly where the noise is comin from.

cheers Briony :P

if ur talking about the passenger side where the air noise is comin from thats the side the air intake is on, during the recall they wouldve put a new top cover and a bell mouth in ur air box so thats possibly where the noise is comin from.

cheers Briony :P

Sweet... cheers... i just took it for another run and as i said in the original post.. it would probably be the intake/filter lid. Didn't know anything about the bell mouth being part of the recall? (though, once again i don't know a lot about the recall or car mechanics in general :P).

sorry to hijack your topic but i got myself a recall box lid for my 1zz and it works great. so if you have the 1zz and like to keep using the factory intake try to get yourself a recall box from a stivo.

Ok... having had time to test it out properly... the good news is still no cable rattles.... the bad news is... the 2nd -> 3rd shift is WORSE! Its almost impossible to land 2nd -> 3rd on heavy acceleration (though i did do it when i needed it last night when a 4wd took off and thought he could outrun me to the lane merge).

So yeah... i'm not sure what it is.... every other gear is smooth as when changing... but 2nd -> 3rd ... even when landing it, still feels notchy. To me it feels like 3rd seems a lot further over to the right than everything else (if that makes sense). Because if you give the knob a quick little shake when it its and refuses to go in to 3rd... it will slide to the right slightly and into gear... but the thing is, i'm not changing any differently to how i would change from say... 4th -> 5th etc etc and i have no problem when downchanging 4th -> 3rd.

Bah anyways... i know plenty of you have these problems... but most that i have read have had 1st -> 2nd problems. Mine is sweet as in that department. I have a service coming up next month so i'll probably hold out til then and get them to check it out. Its a problem i'm sure can be replicated because it happens almost everytime!

I also find 2nd to 3rd the hardest gear to shift quickly and i crunched 3rd twice big time when i was running hard on the track. From what i know the early Celicas had very close 2nd and 3rd gates and it caused people to mishift often when trying for 4th but got 2nd resulting in 11,000rpm showing on the tacho. Same with the Acura TypeS in US. But i think they left the gates untouched, its probably just the tighter cables as its new and i also felt that when i 1st got it changed. 1st to 2nd is still the worse problem by far and has got noting to do with the cables. Its more the clutch.

Zee

Ok... having had time to test it out properly... the good news is still no cable rattles.... the bad news is... the 2nd -> 3rd shift is WORSE! Its almost impossible to land 2nd -> 3rd on heavy acceleration (though i did do it when i needed it last night when a 4wd took off and thought he could outrun me to the lane merge).

So yeah... i'm not sure what it is.... every other gear is smooth as when changing... but 2nd -> 3rd ... even when landing it, still feels notchy. To me it feels like 3rd seems a lot further over to the right than everything else (if that makes sense). Because if you give the knob a quick little shake when it its and refuses to go in to 3rd... it will slide to the right slightly and into gear... but the thing is, i'm not changing any differently to how i would change from say... 4th -> 5th etc etc and i have no problem when downchanging 4th -> 3rd.

Bah anyways... i know plenty of you have these problems... but most that i have read have had 1st -> 2nd problems. Mine is sweet as in that department. I have a service coming up next month so i'll probably hold out til then and get them to check it out. Its a problem i'm sure can be replicated because it happens almost everytime!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I also find 2nd to 3rd the hardest gear to shift quickly and i crunched 3rd twice big time when i was running hard on the track.  From what i know the early Celicas had very close 2nd and 3rd gates and it caused people to mishift often when trying for 4th but got 2nd resulting in 11,000rpm showing on the tacho.  Same with the Acura TypeS in US.  But i think they left the gates untouched, its probably just the tighter cables as its new and i also felt that when i 1st got it changed.  1st to 2nd is still the worse problem by far and has got noting to do with the cables.  Its more the clutch.

Zee 

Yeah i know... its just funny that 1st to second on mine i have never really had a problem. Perhaps i will as the clutch starts to wear. I really don't give it too much stick (the clutch) so who knows. But yeah... i can only hope that the 2nd -> 3rd will improve or i can learn a way around the problem or even better... it will be fixed. I only have 7000km on mine in the 6 months i've had it because i have a work car which i use most of the week... so wear could either screw shifting up more or solve my problem i guess