repairable write off

piningg

want to buy a 2000 csi camry.. but when i checked the revs..theres a repairable write off remarks on it..test drive the car, its good.. exterior and interior superior.. offering 8,500 for the car..

sorry if its out of topic.. opinions mate...

Edited by piningg

Checked government website...

Repairable write-off

A vehicle that has been damaged to the extent that its salvage value plus the cost of repairing the vehicle for use on the road is more than its market value (i.e. total loss) will be recorded as a repairable write-off.

The registration of a repairable write-off will be cancelled once it is entered on the Written-off Vehicles Register.

So, i m thinking, HOW SERIOUS was the accident?? Any pillars broken? or the car is half half, joint?

I remember chatting with my friend-mechanic, they said this issues are veryyyyy dangerous and has to be very seriously look into. The car may look "perfect" outside, but "dead" inside.

Cheap, worth it if very confidence in driving? Just personal opinion of cars.

Leave it alone and find something else to buy...

Don't even risk it...

i reckon. seriously. think of how much you can do with $8.5k and MORE.

i can think of a million things :rolleyes:

It means that to repair the car would cost more than what the car is worth to the insurance company... Repair bill would've prolly been around $5000 or more...

So they write it off and send it to auction...

Someone buys it at auction, fixes it up cheaply (usually panel beater that buys it) and then puts it on the market for sale...

Now, for a $5000 or more repair bill, thats gotta have had a pretty decent hit, so it's definately something I would not purchase, not in a million years...

sorry for the typo error thing, yep its write off..

but how come it was registered in RTA?

Since 2003 its the law that any vehicle that has been in an accident and fixed by an insurance company has to be listed on REVS. All they mean by repairable write off is that the car was damaged and the insurance company couldn't justify the costs to fix it. -basically once the airbags blow they aren't keen on fixing anything.

So the accident could have been bad, or it could have been a small hit u would never know. The fact that it is registered on PEVS i would think is a good thing. It means the car was crashed after 2003 and since then the whole industry has become cleaner because u can catch then now. Previously there was no way of knowing. Its reduced the amount of cut and shuts.

For example, click in my sig and have a look at my sportivo. It was a repairable write off, but we bought it and fixed it ourselves and now i would argue that its stronger than standard. But then again i wouldn't buy one that someone else fixed because u never know how well its fixed.

Also -if any of the pillars are damaged, the car is immediately a statutory write off and can never be registered again, so don't worry about that.

sorry for the typo error thing, yep its write off..

but how come it was registered in RTA?

Since 2003 its the law that any vehicle that has been in an accident and fixed by an insurance company has to be listed on REVS. All they mean by repairable write off is that the car was damaged and the insurance company couldn't justify the costs to fix it. -basically once the airbags blow they aren't keen on fixing anything.

So the accident could have been bad, or it could have been a small hit u would never know. The fact that it is registered on PEVS i would think is a good thing. It means the car was crashed after 2003 and since then the whole industry has become cleaner because u can catch then now. Previously there was no way of knowing. Its reduced the amount of cut and shuts.

For example, click in my sig and have a look at my sportivo. It was a repairable write off, but we bought it and fixed it ourselves and now i would argue that its stronger than standard. But then again i wouldn't buy one that someone else fixed because u never know how well its fixed.

Also -if any of the pillars are damaged, the car is immediately a statutory write off and can never be registered again, so don't worry about that.

good here in australia, you have that revs thingys to check any history.. for me as long it was repaired and registered in RTA.. youre good. For sure RTA will not allow it to be registered if its total wrecked..

Seems to me that $8500 for this car is way too much money irrespective if it has been in an accident.

I am about to trade in my 2001 csi and I doubt they will be offering me anything like that as a trade and its in good condition 88klms, auto air factory CD new tyres.

A quick look on www.carsales.com.au shows there are a lot of cars for this money without taking the risk it has been repaired cheaply.

Might effect your ability to sell it down the track as well.

Me I would say plenty of alternatives out there give this one a miss.

Seems to me that $8500 for this car is way too much money irrespective if it has been in an accident.

I am about to trade in my 2001 csi and I doubt they will be offering me anything like that as a trade and its in good condition 88klms, auto air factory CD new tyres.

A quick look on www.carsales.com.au shows there are a lot of cars for this money without taking the risk it has been repaired cheaply.

Might effect your ability to sell it down the track as well.

Me I would say plenty of alternatives out there give this one a miss.

Oh i agree completely. Its a lot of money for this kind of car, and there as plenty of other options out there for that kind of money. All i meant by my post was an explanation of repairable write off's and to try and make others understand that they aren't as bad as most people make out. Its actually quite a good way to get yourself a car if u know how. For example, with my car plus all the mods, i would still be ahead price wise than someone who owns a second hand completely standard sportivo. It works for me.