Need help!

Shakil A Siraj

Hello all,

I am having problem with my 2001 Camry with roughly 133,000 KMs. The problem started like 20,000 KMs before. What happens is that sometimes the car would blow out white smoke (lets say 2/3 times in a week). Right that moment I can notice that the car is losing power, but that is for a sec or two, everything is normal after that, no more smoke. The only other thing I can notice is that the engine oil is less than before. If I top up the engine oil, the car runs fine for 3 or 4 weeks and then the same problem starts again.

The smoke usually comes out if I am taking a sharp turn while driving down a slope. Right that moment, there would be sounds coming from the engine .. something like tik,tik, tik.

Sometimes I would find that the engine oil goes below the "empty" line on the stick, still the engine light on the dashboard does not lit up.

During last servicing, I took it to Toyota service center, told them specifically to look for this problem. They couldn't find any problem with the car and told me to come back if I still find the problem. This was 2500 KMs before, and I had to top up the engine oil yesterday.

Has anyone faced this problem? Any clue?

Edited by Shakil A Siraj

Sounds to me like your piston rings are worn...

Fill up your engine oil to the full line, drive normally for 2500kms and re-check the engine oil level...

If there are no visible leaks on the engine, then your problem is internal, will most likely be valve stem seals or the piston rings...

Hello all,

I am having problem with my 2001 Camry with roughly 133,000 KMs. The problem started like 20,000 KMs before. What happens is that sometimes the car would blow out white smoke (lets say 2/3 times in a week). Right that moment I can notice that the car is losing power, but that is for a sec or two, everything is normal after that, no more smoke. The only other thing I can notice is that the engine oil is less than before. If I top up the engine oil, the car runs fine for 3 or 4 weeks and then the same problem starts again.

The smoke usually comes out if I am taking a sharp turn while driving down a slope. Right that moment, there would be sounds coming from the engine .. something like tik,tik, tik.

Sometimes I would find that the engine oil goes below the "empty" line on the stick, still the engine light on the dashboard does not lit up.

During last servicing, I took it to Toyota service center, told them specifically to look for this problem. They couldn't find any problem with the car and told me to come back if I still find the problem. This was 2500 KMs before, and I had to top up the engine oil yesterday.

Has anyone faced this problem? Any clue?

Had a problem once like that in a Mazda 626 79 model , it was the Auto transmission fluid - some seal went and entered the engine somehow . maybe that helps...

Had a problem once like that in a Mazda 626 79 model , it was the Auto transmission fluid - some seal went and entered the engine somehow . maybe that helps...

Interesting, I checked the auto trans fluid level this morning and it was lower than usual "cold max" thingy. I remember toyota did not change that fluid during last servicing. Also I am noticing that I can feel the gear change while I am driving. What did you do to fix it and how much did it cost you? Thanks.