Problems with '94 model Camry

dyoung

Hello, my name's Daniel. I've got a couple of problems with a '94 model Camry. The first one came about after I rear-ended another car back in September. At the time the car was not insured so after the accident I drove it home. The radiator was damaged in the accident and I think the engine may have overheated as a result.

However, we took the car to a smash repairer who repaired the damage. On the day I picked it up and drove to work there were problems with a "bumping" sensation coming from under the hood, like the engine was vibrating. This would only happen when the car was idling at the traffic lights. I took it back to the repairer and he performed a tune-up on the car and serviced it. I asked him if the problem could be related to the engine and he said that the engine was fine. After that it worked perfectly and did so for the next three weeks before the "bumping" problem returned. I did not take the car back to the repairer because I had become suspicious of him, thinking he might be trying to rip me off.

I haven't done anything to try to fix the problem, mainly because the car still runs normally, bumping aside. However, today we were going to the shops. I turned the alarm off and when I started the car, it seemed to choke and then the alarm went off, as if someone was trying to break in. I turned off the car and switched off the alarm and started the car again. The same thing happened so I stopped the car again. Only this time I could not turn off the alarm. I kept on pressing the buttons and got no response. I was unable to start the car, either. I called up Toyota for some advice and they were not really helpful, so I took the risk of cutting the wire that led to the alarm speaker under the hood. This stopped the blarring of the alarm but I still could not start the car, as if it's been immobilised.

I know it could possibly be the battery but I only had the battery in the car replaced about five months ago. The car is now sitting on my lawn, immobile and unable to be started. I'm insured with AAMI and figure the best thing to do is to call them up, but first I wanted to see if anyone here knows what the problems could be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by dyoung

Hey...

Tbh I have no idea on the electrical side of things, Id take it to an auto-electrician in terms of the alarm because they would know whats going on in relation to that... its obviously an electrical issue. As for engine problems and this bumping, well I dont know exactly what you mean by bumping but I will say this... you should NEVER let the car overheat. After an accident you need to watch the temp needle very carefully and if its rising, it would cost alot less in the long term to get it towed ($100 or so) compared to a warped head gasket ($1500 to repair). This aside, I would just take it to another mechanic and see what they think of the 'bumping', worst case scenario maybe coolant is leaking past a screwed up head gasket into the oil, starving the bearings of oil and goodbye engine (check oil colour, if its milky, that is not good)... I think this is doubtful, maybe it is something else related to the crash, maybe an engine mount is shot after the force of impact and this results in the bumping? Or maybe its electrical and is linked somehow to the alarm, perhaps the electronic fuel igniition system is effected by some eletrical fault which is evidenced by alarm but is part of the engine related issue (I remember when a friends car had bad distributor cords the car due to poor timing would bump under certain throttle positions)? Who knows.. as I said its hard to determine it online... Id take it to an auto-electrician to get the most immediate problem fixed (not being able to start car) and then if the bumping is still their, go to a mechanic.

Edited by aussie_camry

hey dan

I got a a 95 camry with a similar problem, got into an accident with it too...I get that "bump" noise too. I believe the problem is the engine mount shifted when u had the accident, just go to ur mechanic and as him to check the mounts..As for the alarm, i have had tht problem too. I think it may partly do with its age! When my alarm went off i tried using the button bt it didnt work, so i used the key to deactivate the alarm. And yes the car wouldnt start as for it was thinking some1s tryin to steal it...but i gave it like 20mins and the car would start...From then on i decided to stop using the remote alarm and jst used the key to activate and deactivate it...Mind u if ur gonna use the key, the first time u use it..leave the key on the start position for 15-20mins so u wont have any start probs in the future..when u use the remote the car goes into 2 states...once u unlock the car...and dont start the car for 5mins..u prob notice tht the alarm light starts blinking and if u try starting the engine, it wont start so u wld have to use the remote to deactivate it again. like wat aussie said i think u should go to an auto-electrician they should know fo sure!

Good luck with it mate