Knock Noise

wishbone

hey

i have a xv10 95 2.2L Front Wheel drive toyota camry, which seems to make a knock noise after i accelerate. This happens normally when i accelerate slowly and release the gas pedal.. The car has done about 100,000kms. I think i might know wat it might be...but im worried it might be more than that...

Thanks Guys

hey mate thanks for getting back to me...are you sure its detontation i was told it was prob a broken engine mount, causing that noise...what causes detonation??

thanks mate

A good way to attack these problems is to start with the cheap fixes and work your way up, so filling your tank with 98 octane would be the first step to rule this out, setting you back an extra $15 or so for the full tank. But given its after you accelerate I doubt this is the problem. It could be an engine mount or transmission related... although knocking is usually associated with an engine related problem (albeit under load... such as acceleration... not after it)

Edited by aussie_camry

it only seems to happen when i accelerate and release the gas pedal...and the so called "knock" sounds seems to be coming underneath the engine :huh: and btw yeah i have tried the Premium fuel i dont think its detonation coz the cars fine accelerating up the hill...

thanks for the help so far

Check to see if the engine moves much when idling, stuffed front engine mount sounds pretty safe bet at this stage.

i dont think the engine moves that much when idle...btw the car has been in an accident, i went to a mechanic before and he said he couldnt hear it, but i sure can...

Check to see if the engine moves much when idling, stuffed front engine mount sounds pretty safe bet at this stage.

i dont think the engine moves that much when idle...btw the car has been in an accident, i went to a mechanic before and he said he couldnt hear it, but i sure can...

You'd be surprised at how much an engine can shake on startup and idle, especially if it's cold and not running smooth.

Check all your engine mounts, suspension bushes and bolts are tight, also check your exhaust brackets as the bolts and brackets always break and come loose with your model Camry...

yep ur spot on abt the exhaust brackets...i got a loose one now makes an annoying vibrating sound when i go on higher revs.....SOOO ANNOYING...im gonna ask the mechanic to check the engine mounts i dont think suspension is a prob...btw i heard broken engine mounts can be a strain on the transmission....is that true? can it screw up my transmission if not will it screw up anythin??

thnks!

Edited by wishbone

Well... you got the 4 banger... it sounds like the front mount has had it... had a similar problem also... more of a clunk noise when it changed gears (car sorta moves a tad when it changes gears).

The dogbone style mount's gone too... don't bother replacing that until you ask a mechanic on which mounts have had it.

I ended up replacing all the mounts (there's a front, rear, transmission and the top dogbone mount) I bought em all through Supercheap and Autobarn (Supercheap charges freight, Autobarn doesn't, so see how ya go). I think I ended up spendin close to 600 to buy them all and get replaced by a mechanic.

You can get the part numbers of Thu (96Camry) at Camcrew if you need any further info anyway... that's where I got my info from :)

Well... you got the 4 banger... it sounds like the front mount has had it... had a similar problem also... more of a clunk noise when it changed gears (car sorta moves a tad when it changes gears).

The dogbone style mount's gone too... don't bother replacing that until you ask a mechanic on which mounts have had it.

I ended up replacing all the mounts (there's a front, rear, transmission and the top dogbone mount) I bought em all through Supercheap and Autobarn (Supercheap charges freight, Autobarn doesn't, so see how ya go). I think I ended up spendin close to 600 to buy them all and get replaced by a mechanic.

You can get the part numbers of Thu (96Camry) at Camcrew if you need any further info anyway... that's where I got my info from :)

ta mate im sure gonna get the mechanic to chek it out coz i dunno which mounts need replacing cant tell...thanks mate yeah i signed up at camcrew gettin some good help there too..cheers

No worries mate... we're all here to help.

I reckon that if it's gonna be any of the mounts, it'll be the front, and the top... but if left for too long, the other mounts take a bit of a beating, and will end up needing replacement at the end anyway. From what I've heard, mounts normally need replacing after like, 10 years anyway.

No worries mate... we're all here to help.

I reckon that if it's gonna be any of the mounts, it'll be the front, and the top... but if left for too long, the other mounts take a bit of a beating, and will end up needing replacement at the end anyway. From what I've heard, mounts normally need replacing after like, 10 years anyway.

im due for a service newyz so im gonna get the engine mounts and exhaust checked...shld get this all done by the end of this month...cheers mate...havent had ne major issues with this car till now soo yeah its very reliable...thts wat i luv abt em....bt i also have only got like 104,000ks on the clock

Yeah that's fair enough... I replaced the whole set on my last 5SFE engine around a year ago... costed around 600 fitted?? Can't remember... bought some parts from Autobarn, some from Supercheap Auto (same company they buy from... lol) Autobarn doesn't charge freight, but might cost a few bucks more, and Supercheap are cheaper, but charge freight. However, Supercheap will only charge freight per order, so might pay to get the whole lot in the one go.

My 2c