TRD CAI Install problems

Hi all,

I got my CAI yesterday and installed it with one of my friends. The problem is that after fitting the new filter, not all the brackets worked and some plugs/hoses are left hanging. This does'nt seem right. I've driven the car and so far it seems more aggressive and the sound is to die for. I didnt notice any "check engine" lights either. The filter really proved a challenge to fit though. We had to remove the fog lamp to fit it properly. We found a way to fit it back though.

Anyhow, here are a few pics showing the problem areas.

Fig. 1 - this bracket along with the other small piece that comes with it does not help. As you can see the VSV?? is just hanging.

Fig. 2 - this sensor no longer has a place to go.

Fig. 3 - The sensor was plugged here, but now this device seems like it has no place on the new setup either. In this pic it is still attached to the old air box.

Fig. 4 - This isnt really a problem, I just want to know if I capped the right section.

Fig. 5 - the bracket for here does'nt fit properly so we didnt use it.

Fig. 6 - I have no idea where this other end should go. :blink:

Fig. 7 - The sloppy end product. :(

Yes I had the manual but some things just didnt add up. I dont know if this is because I ordered the Matrix CAI. The part number is the same as the one from TRD sales for the Runx so I doubt that is the reason. Please Guys, I need help sorting this out. I'm travelling with some friends to dyno the car tomorrow so I have to sort this out ASAP.

Thanks.post-367-1100275806_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275848_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275925_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275961_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275994_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100276027_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100276062_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I got my CAI yesterday and installed it with one of my friends. The problem is that after fitting the new filter, not all the brackets worked and some plugs/hoses are left hanging. This does'nt seem right. I've driven the car and so far it seems more aggressive and the sound is to die for. I didnt notice any "check engine" lights either. The filter really proved a challenge to fit though. We had to remove the fog lamp to fit it properly. We found a way to fit it back though.

Anyhow, here are a few pics showing the problem areas.

Fig. 1 - this bracket along with the other small piece that comes with it does not help. As you can see the VSV?? is just hanging.

There are two parts to this bracket not one. A longish arm and a peice that has a tappered edge.  If you only have 1 VSV based on our model you have to grind this bracket to fit the VSV on and cut the lower part of the bracket as you don't need this)

Fig. 2 - this sensor no longer has a place to go.

This Sensor wire is not used with the CAI. The kit should have come with a cap to go over it

Fig. 3 - The sensor was plugged here, but now this device seems like it has no place on the new setup either. In this pic it is still attached to the old air box.

As stated no longer used.

Fig. 4 - This isnt really a problem, I just want to know if I capped the right section.

Tis in the right place

Fig. 5 - the bracket for here does'nt fit properly so we didnt use it.

Cut the top off the bracket just above the hole repaint it black and it will fit. I advise that you do this other wise over a period of time you can damage the black hose

Fig. 6 - I have no idea where this other end should go. :blink:

The only car that uses the little pipe out of the CAI is the US Matrix this should be capped with a Vacum hose stopper

Fig. 7 - The sloppy end product. :(

Yes I had the manual but some things just didnt add up. I dont know if this is because I ordered the Matrix CAI. The part number is the same as the one from TRD sales for the Runx so I doubt that is the reason. Please Guys, I need help sorting this out. I'm travelling with some friends to dyno the car tomorrow so I have to sort this out ASAP.

I would suggest that you get I K&N filter XStream top unit K&N They have a smaller one than the TRD That works well and is a much better fit

Thanks.post-367-1100275806_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275848_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275925_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275961_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100275994_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100276027_thumb.jpgpost-367-1100276062_thumb.jpg

Thanks a million!! :D I feel much better now. Thanks also for the K&N recomendation, I always wondered why after listing that you have the TRD CAI installed, you guys always mentioned a second filter. Now it makes sense. :) I must admit that I'm not sure how or where this "Air Flow Top" fits. I'm not familiar with these "Air Flow Tops" at all. Tell me something, how critical is this second filter? Does it cut power? I might not be able to get for another month so I'm a bit concerned. :(

Remove the TRD Filter as is a pain to remove and put back on. Use the K&N to replace it.

I really dont understand what you are suggesting. Oh by the way, I dynoed 162whp up from 154whp and 117 torque up from 113. Are these good numbers? The car feels like a beast. The Acceleration and sound is awesome. The dyno guys said that my power should be higher since they cannot properly simulate the wind force I get while driving. I'm happy. B)

Remove the TRD Filter as is a pain to remove and put back on. Use the K&N to replace it.

I really dont understand what you are suggesting. Oh by the way, I dynoed 162whp up from 154whp and 117 torque up from 113. Are these good numbers? The car feels like a beast. The Acceleration and sound is awesome. The dyno guys said that my power should be higher since they cannot properly simulate the wind force I get while driving. I'm happy. B)

Hi mate, I think Peekay was trying to advise you to get a K&N pod filter instead of using the TRD pod that came with it as it is a pain when you need to remove it for cleaning etc. Good to hear you are happy with the CAI :)

Zee

Ok now I understand. ;) So is my power output decent or is it low? It seems my pressure plate is going. Ever since the long trip yesterday, I find that I hear a funny gritting sound whenever I move off from a stand still. I used to hear it on hill starts sometime but now its very obvious. I must admit that I've never had so much fun driving. The Evo and RVR Hyper Sports Gear R that I owned never gave me so much pleasure. I cant wait to complete my upgrades. Is the K&N filter XStream top unit the part that appears at the top of the web page? If so, how does it work?

The funny sound well with out hearing it is impossible to say. But with the CAI you do hear the VSV valve clicking which is quite normal. Re the Filter how does it work....like any filter but breathes better than the TRD unit.

I dynoed 162whp up from 154whp and 117 torque up from 113. Are these good numbers?

WOW!

162whp is very nice indeed. For anyone here in AUS who is wondering thats 120.8fwkW

A very nice figure, considering that CAI is your only mod???

JDM in contrast to get similar figure over here on our Sportivos we need to do CAI + Headers or CAI + Piggyback Chip (unichip, emanage etc).....and thats post recall also.

I am very impressed :D

Its good to hear that my Runx is performing properly. From the moment I installed the CAI I felt the difference. I was getting torque steer in third gear and the car just felt like air was being forced through. The power increase at 6200rpm felt even scarier. I did'nt want to say much because people here are skeptical about CAIs. They say that its all in your head and that the power increase is usually 3-4hp. Thats why I dynoed the car so quickly and trust me poeple are in shock. Even the dyno guys were in disbelief, they said that it was unusual for such a minor increase to yield so much power. You should see the difference with my previous dyno chart. The sweet thing is that my power is actually higher on the road. The fan they had at the dyno center was bearly cooler than a regular room fan so I guess my real gains could be as much as 10whp!! :D

Its good to hear that my Runx is performing properly. From the moment I installed the CAI I felt the difference. I was getting torque steer in third gear and the car just felt like air was being forced through. The power increase at 6200rpm felt even scarier. I did'nt want to say much because people here are skeptical about CAIs. They say that its all in your head and that the power increase is usually 3-4hp. Thats why I dynoed the car so quickly and trust me poeple are in shock. Even the dyno guys were in disbelief, they said that it was unusual for such a minor increase to yield so much power. You should see the difference with my previous dyno chart. The sweet thing is that my power is actually higher on the road. The fan they had at the dyno center was bearly cooler than a regular room fan so I guess my real gains could be as much as 10whp!! :D

Mate I am glad to see your happy with the CAI. In all those PM's I was wondering if you actually believed me on the benifts of the mods. As far as the go fasta mods go the CAI is my 2nd favorite. The best I did still was the TOMS lightened Flywheel & TRD Clutch. But boy it costs a lot more than the CAI

Hopefully you are beginning to see now that with some of these mods how you can actually run a Type-R and be competitve if not beat it.

Enjoy your driving

Cheers

Trust me Ilivfor6, I keep that PM close to my heart. Its my secret weapon. ;) With the way my car feels now, the clutch & flywheel upgrades are next in line, then the suspension. I only really want 170-175 whp with killer handling. As soon as I get the cash together I'll PM you for advice. ;)

All of you guys have been so great. I dont know where I'd be without the info you've shared. I'm probably the most informed Runx owner on the island.

Thanks

Seeing as we are all so helpful, how about you let us stay at your place next time the Aussies are in town playing the Windies (2007)?  :D

If we can do that.... I am soooo there!!!!!

I had a mate that went to the Port of Spain test as well as the Kingston one-dayers last time, had an absolute ball in the outer drinking beer with the locals, dancing to the drums and pretty much making an a**e of himself. Sounded like a great time to me.... :D

Seeing as we are all so helpful, how about you let us stay at your place next time the Aussies are in town playing the Windies (2007)?  :D

You guys travel with your Cricket Team? Cool B)

Too bad they play in Kingston and I'm in MoBay. :(

If you do come here we would definately have to link up. I could show you the tuning scene here. The real action is in Kingston though.