Kluger Roof Rails Saga

Scott_C

Since our base model Kluger doesnt have roof rails, I thought Id ask around and see if its possible to get them..

First I was told that the roof isnt strong enough on the KXR to take roof rails. Considering that ALL models of Highlander have roof rails, and that as far as I know, Australia is currently the only country in the world to have RHD Klugers, I find it very hard to believe that Toyota makes ONE roof for ONE model of their Kluger/Highlander worldwide - to a different spec.

I mentioned this to my dealer (after the spare parts guy told us the above) and he agreed with me, it seems very unlikely.

We both took a look at the roof of a KXR in the yard, and the black strip is there, it even has some pull away tabs in four places that look like where the rails mount.

Since my local dealer couldnt find a price on roof rails in their system, I then rang Sydney city Toyota as they're a large dealership, and might carry more stock.

Here's the reply i got;

Hi Scott ,

For a KXS Kluger roof rails are applicable - $915 per side.

For a KXR Kluger factory roof rails aren't applicable from Toyota as a genuine part unfortunately.

Thanks for your enquiry.

Holy crap!!! :blink:

Considering that ALL models of Highlander have roof rails, and that as far as I know, Australia is currently the only country in the world to have RHD Klugers, I find it very hard to believe that Toyota makes ONE roof for ONE model of their Kluger/Highlander worldwide - to a different spec.

Highlander in New Zealand is Right hand drive???

I am sure you can put the rail in, but at what cost?

I am not sure what is underneath the rail. I think there are bolts through them meaning to drill holes???? What do you have in the roof attachment area?

I guess the question is....

What happens if you break one? Surely Toyota can get replacements?

Thats right they can. There are spare parts for the whole vehicle. Its just that the rails are obscenely expensive for what they are. (in my opinion)

I did find an American Toyota parts site; $300 USD per rail. Thats the best Ive found so far. But there's no guarantee to the quality of the part as its OEM.

Edited by Scott_C