possible replacement engine

black turkey

hey guys, an excellent deal has come up for myself, at my dads work there is a stolen and recovered camry (1993 i think) with a 5S-FE in it. the ODO meter has 150,000 km on it, but it has recently been reconditioned (only because i see the painted bit of the engine that they paint over when its reconditioned, or am i wrong???) and cos the whole engine bay is very very clean and spoofy.

anyway since this car is a stolen and recovered it comes as is with no wheels, seats, keys, and all the usually **** ppl steal.

so anyway, the company that brought it in only wants a reserve price of 250-300 bucks, would this be worth buying and putting the motor in my celica?

my celica has 207,000km and has a forever problematic powersteering pump, and on its way out alternater. i was thinking that if i just get some mechanic to do a full swap of those things (enigne, power steering and alt.).

would this be worth it or a good idea? is there anything i should look for or know in advanced, ALSO the camry is an auto and my car is manual, so will the engine still want to go in eachother?

thanks in advanced

oh and while i have a new topic on, what would i do about getting an lsd? worth it at all? 1 wheel burnouts ***** me off.

and is it just me or do all celica owners get axle tramp when really launching it and dumping the clutch?

Edited by black turkey

This is just my personal opinion, as I have no experience in engine swaps.

Have you kept the service up on your current engine? It's got 207kk's on it, so have you done the 200kk service involving the timing belt components and misc oil seals, gaskets etc? If not, this will cost $600-$1000 depending on what work you get done. The Camry's 5sfe won't need this to be done for another 50kk's. There's a plus for it. However, if you've had your current engine for some time, then you'll have a very good idea about the service status. The Camry engine might not have had this service done at 100kk, for example, and might have other things wrong with it. You might need to replace things you've already replaced on your Celica. Another thing, are you planning on keeping your Celica for another 150,000k to 200,000k? That's about how much longer the engine SHOULD last for, at LEAST. If you're not, there's not much point in doing the swap.

Powersteeting pumps are eternally problematic on 5sfe builds, so I am doubtful that swapping your current one for another will be a long-term solution. Alternators aren't that bad to replace, they're relatively cheap and it's a DIY job.

If you do decide to do the swap, the difference in transmission will not be a problem. The transmission and housing is a separate entity to the engine that bolts straight on. I do believe there might be a couple of other minor issues, however. I remember reading that the exhaust manifold has slightly different dimensions. Someone with more experience in engine swaps can probably tell you more about these minor difficulties, however.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my thoughts, as i own a 5s celica too

I would say get the car if its that cheap and you want to keep the celica for a long period of time.

The only problem with doing an engine swap is the cost, is the cost. As celicas are FWD an engine swap is alot more time consuming to do than in a RWD car,

so if you have some friends that can do it for you, go that route.

As for the auto/manual. the engine should have no issues bolting on to a manual gearbox. the bell housing bolts are in the same spots on both motors.

As for manifolds, I would use your celica ones if you can (exhaust at the very least)

I have done the altinator on my celica, (i used one off a 7MGE, was a direct bolt on) and took me about 30mins to do.

I have no clue about getting an LSD for a FWD celica, but some GT4 parts might work here

And yes, i get mad axel tramp when i try and do skids in mine :angry:

Edited by mick.wheelz

well i got a camry motor anyway (not that particular one) and it came back today. he used all the manifolds from the camry, so yes my celica sounds exactly like a **** camry. i dont know if it has as much power yet (i drove it with my dad, so i drove slowly) but it seems exactly the same. although looking as some specs i have lost 7kw and 6nm by using this motor with the camry manifolds. tommorow ill give it a good run and see what the power situation is like. the mechanic doesnt know how many km the engine has done on this motor which makes me a lil bit worried and makes me wish i spent an extra (lot) of money and went the 3s-ge way.

im just glad to get her back.