Help buying a used Camry

jvz

I've been searching high and low for a camry wagon and I think I found a good one but I've got a few concerns which i don't know enough about to make a decision...

It's a 1994 CSi 2.2l 158,000 km for $5500 (private sale)

It runs well, shifts smoothly, handles like new, except:

- mild but bobbly vibrations at about 50kms seemingly prior to shifting, the owner says he had the engine mounts replaced at 120,000 kms, and it's been there since then. It causes the side view mirror to vibrate to a point where you can't see clearly in it.

- their is some minor squeeking in the brakes when you slow but only just before you stop... the owner pointed it out, I didn't even notice, but he spent a bit of time trying to explain it... I asked him why it was happening and he said he doesn't know anything about it, which I thought stange because he said he had recently replaced the brakes and fixed the rotors himself.

- you can see oil seep (looks minor, but I don't know when the engine was last cleaned)where the head gasket would be. He said the car had overheated once but that it was fixed and the engine was tested.

I'm worried I'll have to buy a new engine if I make the wrong decision!

help!

thanks

I've been searching high and low for a camry wagon and I think I found a good one but I've got a few concerns which i don't know enough about to make a decision...

It's a 1994 CSi 2.2l 158,000 km for $5500 (private sale)

It runs well, shifts smoothly, handles like new, except:

- mild but bobbly vibrations at about 50kms seemingly prior to shifting, the owner says he had the engine mounts replaced at 120,000 kms, and it's been there since then. It causes the side view mirror to vibrate to a point where you can't see clearly in it.

- their is some minor squeeking in the brakes when you slow but only just before you stop... the owner pointed it out, I didn't even notice, but he spent a bit of time trying to explain it... I asked him why it was happening and he said he doesn't know anything about it, which I thought stange because he said he had recently replaced the brakes and fixed the rotors himself.

- you can see oil seep (looks minor, but I don't know when the engine was last cleaned)where the head gasket would be. He said the car had overheated once but that it was fixed and the engine was tested.

I'm worried I'll have to buy a new engine if I make the wrong decision!

help!

thanks

for 5,500 it sounds quite pricey for a camry....i could sell u my 95 2.2L camry with only 108ks on the clock for 5gs (its in tip top condition)if i was u i would get the price down by alot!! i mean close to 1g or more....i would also test drive more camrys around (most importantly ones in good nic) but camrys r damn reliable things....they r built to last...bt this one seems to be a lil suss....i probably wouldnt risk it....first big no no is oil leaks!! one question i would be asking is how did the engine overheat in the first place....if its an auto(im guessin it is) and he has taken good care of it...changed parts and oil/liquids how come the engine overheated....my parents own tht 95 camry and we change oil/fluids and parts according to the manual, and i have never ever seen the temp guage go past half way (that being said we drive like grannys me included :P ) i would keep looking ur bound to find a good one....btw where abts do u live?

one great way to test how old is the camry is by putting the car on stand still, in brakes and on the D gear. this is so u can see, feel and hear how much it vibrates. it if vibrates heaps then u know that something is wrong, or that its just a really old camry.

the problem with most camrys i have found pre 2000 is due to this problem, and oil leaks, worn spark plugs due to constant short drives, and steering vibration when u rev hard up the hill @ more than 2.5rpms.

just me 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My 1995 Vienta (manual) was written off due to another driver running a red light. I'm now looking at a 1998 Vienta VXI with 170 000k's.

My concerns are:

-What's the lifespan of the auto gearboxes in this model?

-My 1995 Vienta ran like a dream and very rarely had any issues (the waterpump died so i replaced that and the timing belt). Has the 1998 version met with many faults?

if ur looking at an auto then u r probably gonna be dissapointed, compared to your manual.....if i was u i would opt to get another manual...its well worth the extra search!