Prado Satnav - disc damage

CPL

Hi

I purchased a Prado Grande last year in March 2007. It was a demo model. Very nice. Around November the guidance disc started to play up saying it was either dirty or damaged and needed checking. I tired to clean it a few times but it progressively got worse until it would barely work.

Took it back to Hinterland Toyota (Burleigh) on 20 Dec where they, after a bit of messing about replaced the disc. Great I thought.

Last month (March) the "new" dis began to play up as well. Once again only minor interruptions at first but this also got gradually worse and worse until once again it won't function.

I have only taken the disc out twice, once to clean it (after it started to malfunction) and the second to play in another vehicle, which also showed the same malfunction.

Toyota say it is scratched badly and that I need to replace it. I am ****** off with this approach. I cannot for the life of me understand why it is scratched (lots of tiny little marks on the disc) as it never comes out of the unit (why would it) . The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the actual unit and it is progressively scratching the disc which could explain why it gets progressively worse.

1 damaged disk is bad enough but 2 ?

Anyone out there had similar issues or could you throw any light on it?

Regards

Colin

Never seen problem with disc like this, may be it is because the disc does not sit properly in the machine so it is scratching onto something?

What version do you have? I am not sure if I copy the disc it will work 4 you?

Here's a tip for scratched disc of any type that I use to get rid of scratches.

Put a really small dab of regular toothpaste on a wet cloth. Then rub gently (really stress on the gently part) on the surface. It should act like cut polish on a car panel so do it slowly and the deep scratches should come out. Rinse the disc out with water and then dry it. Check if the scratches are slowly disappearing. If not, repeat. Just do it bit by bit because you don't want to overdo it.

Dry the disc and pop it into a PC drive. If it works, burn a copy right away so you at least have a backup should something stuff up, then try it in the car.

Edited by SmellyTofu