Gen 4 'standard' vs. 'Touring' suspension?

anothercamry

i've got a touring series Gen 4 camry. As far as i have researched it has some kind of upgraded suspension over standard. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what the difference is please?

It's sports suspension for the Touring.

I think the Vienta's have upgraded as well but not for sport for comfort instead

I'm not sure if the struts themselves are any different, possibly a bit stiffer and better quality however the springs are stiffer and lower ride hight a bit.

Anyway aftermarket gear is avaliable and in most cases better quality than oem suspension whether it's base model,sports or comfort so it's a bit of a moot point really.

i've got a touring series Gen 4 camry. As far as i have researched it has some kind of upgraded suspension over standard. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what the difference is please?

I think the Vienta's have upgraded as well but not for sport for comfort instead

I'm not sure if the struts themselves are any different, possibly a bit stiffer and better quality however the springs are stiffer and lower ride hight a bit.

Anyway aftermarket gear is avaliable and in most cases better quality than oem suspension whether it's base model,sports or comfort so it's a bit of a moot point really.

fair enuff. my car has king springs. as i'm second owner i do not know full history. the springs weren't pointed out to me as a 'feature' of the vehicle when i bought it. anyway I highly doubt these were stock (could be wrong), but i am scratching my head a bit as to why they were replaced since the ride height doesn't seem any different from stock ?? surely toyota oem would have been better than woeful saggy kings..?

fair enuff. my car has king springs. as i'm second owner i do not know full history. the springs weren't pointed out to me as a 'feature' of the vehicle when i bought it. anyway I highly doubt these were stock (could be wrong), but i am scratching my head a bit as to why they were replaced since the ride height doesn't seem any different from stock ?? surely toyota oem would have been better than woeful saggy kings..?

Well they were probably replaced because the originals were shot...what year is your car and how many K's has it got.

Also you can get king springs that keep normal ride height,sports low and super low so it just depends on personal preference.

I replaced my springs with King's Superlows a few years ago and was pretty dissapointed with the result as they came reccomended, However what I didn't know at the time is that my struts were completely rooted and couldn't controll the springs at all.

A year later replaced the struts and stayed with the same set of King's now she rides perfect,nice and stiff to throw around corners but still smooth as for comfort.

King's are way better than oem, Toyota springs are soggy as and all the people I know with Tourer's on other forums have aftermarket suspension some being King's others being Coilovers.

Chances are and speaking from experience you need new struts if your suspension is soggy and you already know your springs have been replaced with something better.

Touring has firmer springs (standard height) and Bilstein developed shocks/struts as where a standard gen 4 has Monroe shocks/struts. The other main difference is the Touring has a 17mm rear sway bar and the standard only a 15mm, both have a 17mm front sway bar.

What colour are the springs currently fitted to your gen 4? Yellow=Kings, Red=Pedders, Blue=Lovells and Black=most likely original.

Touring has firmer springs (standard height) and Bilstein developed shocks/struts as where a standard gen 4 has Monroe shocks/struts. The other main difference is the Touring has a 17mm rear sway bar and the standard only a 15mm, both have a 17mm front sway bar.

What colour are the springs currently fitted to your gen 4? Yellow=Kings, Red=Pedders, Blue=Lovells and Black=most likely original.

ah now that's the info i'm after. the springs in my car are yellow (kings) and i've just replaced strut inserts (with kyb) so it's very comfortable, get's over speed bumps without any concern but is still great to fling around corners. i'd love to have put bilsteins back in there. also i was actually disappointed to find kings there because they are renound for sagging. money is a problem now, so unfortunately changing them now isn't an option.

You can buy just the shock/strut for the Touring from Toyota new.

I have had kings low in my gen 4 for 7 years without any sag problems. I also used to carry a boot load of gear around everyday for about 5 years.

You can buy just the shock/strut for the Touring from Toyota new.

I have had kings low in my gen 4 for 7 years without any sag problems. I also used to carry a boot load of gear around everyday for about 5 years.

i've heard about those complete strut/spring replacements from other manufacturers. wish i'd thought about contacting toyota myself before i got the inserts as the replacements are easy to fit for any DIY-selfer.