Are Seals Endangered Species???

Hi All.......

my Rav 4 is seeping/dripping oil from what would seem to be the main rear seal... A fix seems to require a lot of exensive labor... removing the engine, etc... a friend who's a handy mechanic says to let it go and top it off if the oil level drops...

She's a great machine with 227k km on her so I'm really worried about damaging the engine by not getting it fixed... anyone want to chip in with some advice on how long I can let her seep without problems?

Any one know how much it costs to do the job?

thanks!

Hi All.......

my Rav 4 is seeping/dripping oil from what would seem to be the main rear seal... A fix seems to require a lot of exensive labor... removing the engine, etc... a friend who's a handy mechanic says to let it go and top it off if the oil level drops...

She's a great machine with 227k km on her so I'm really worried about damaging the engine by not getting it fixed... anyone want to chip in with some advice on how long I can let her seep without problems?

thanks!

i remember doing a few of them its no fun spose you could let it go on for a while but itll only get worse over time and leak more

but as long as you keep an eye on the oil level every week youll be fine 227k isnt bad for a rav ive seen rear mains go with ravs half those klms

last time it took me around 2 days to change one and that was an auto

obviously if its a manual the oil leak will cause problems with your clutch

Does it actually drip on the floor?

Hi All.......

thanks!

i remember doing a few of them its no fun spose you could let it go on for a while but itll only get worse over time and leak more

but as long as you keep an eye on the oil level every week youll be fine 227k isnt bad for a rav ive seen rear mains go with ravs half those klms

Cause if it does, you really should have it changed as it will fail its next rego inspection. If does not I would wait to change it then. If it leaks bad enough to notice the oil level go down, it should be changed immediatley.

Hi All.......

thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I've been just topping it off with 150mls a month, do you think this rate of oil loss is too high? I'm in WA so it doesn't visit the pits yearly so rego is not a problem...

Cause if it does, you really should have it changed as it will fail its next rego inspection. If does not I would wait to change it then. If it leaks bad enough to notice the oil level go down, it should be changed immediatley.
Hi All.......

thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I've been just topping it off with 150mls a month, do you think this rate of oil loss is too high? I'm in WA so it doesn't visit the pits yearly so rego is not a problem...

no not too bad, if does that weekly then you have a problem. Besides some of that 150mm is probably burnt in the combustin process

Hi All.......

thanks!

150 ml a month is a pretty meager amount as long as it doesnt gush out everytime you stop the motor my freinds mini leaks half a litre every two weeks and thats pretty chronic