96 Camry SXV10 Automatic Is there a light indicator besides the shifting gear below

Jermyn

I just bought an old 96 Toyota Camry SXV10? Its automatic I have two problems.

There is no indicator on the dashboard besides the tachometer.

1. There is no light indicator besides the shifting gear below.

2. A little bit of squeeking sound when I hit the brakes.

Is this normal? Most automatic cars I used has its own indicator light, its giving me a hard time to drive at night, putting it on reverse to drive.

I would appreciate some help. Thanks :help:

Is this normal? Most automatic cars I used has its own indicator light, its giving me a hard time to drive at night, putting it on reverse to drive.

when you say there is no indicator, do you mean the illumination of the letters on the shifter plate (next to the gear lever)? or on the dashboard itself (between the speedo and tacho)?

if you mean on the shifter plate, if that is not lighting up when you have your headlights on at night, then its mostlikely the bulb in there has blown, so that needs to be changed. If your referring to the lights on the dashboard which indicate what gear you are in, it is dependent on the grade of your car, ie: the Executive and CSi models didnt come with that, but I believe the CSX and Ultima ones did. If they do exist on there, but simply aren't lighting up, then the bulbs that illuminate the dashboard and those shifter lights have blown mostlikely.

with the brakes not sure what it could be, could be a number of things; need new brake pads, rotors warped, or it's just like that (some performance pads/rotors cause slight sound sometimes), or it could be all of the above :P

Edited by Terry

when you say there is no indicator, do you mean the illumination of the letters on the shifter plate (next to the gear lever)? or on the dashboard itself (between the speedo and tacho)?

if you mean on the shifter plate, if that is not lighting up when you have your headlights on at night, then its mostlikely the bulb in there has blown, so that needs to be changed. If your referring to the lights on the dashboard which indicate what gear you are in, it is dependent on the grade of your car, ie: the Executive and CSi models didnt come with that, but I believe the CSX and Ultima ones did. If they do exist on there, but simply aren't lighting up, then the bulbs that illuminate the dashboard and those shifter lights have blown mostlikely.

with the brakes not sure what it could be, could be a number of things; need new brake pads, rotors warped, or it's just like that (some performance pads/rotors cause slight sound sometimes), or it could be all of the above :P

Thanks Terry. Yes the shifter plate of my 96 Camry SXV10 CSI doesnt light up when I have my headlights on at night. I think the bulbs are blown.

Is it easy to replace those bulbs on my own? Where could I buy some replacements?

Thanks Terry. Yes the shifter plate of my 96 Camry SXV10 CSI doesnt light up when I have my headlights on at night. I think the bulbs are blown.

Is it easy to replace those bulbs on my own? Where could I buy some replacements?

its not too hard to change yourself overall. The grey plastic trim piece which goes all around your shifter plate and lever, you can pry that off using a screwdriver (start at the bottom). After that is removed, you should be able to unclip the shifter plate, move that out of the way, and you should see the bulb which illuminates those letters. I find the problem here is that if you have big fingers you cant reach it, lol, but see what you can do. It is a wedge T10 size bulb (same one used for the parking lights, numberplate bulbs and side indicators), BUT, try not to use a 5W bulb (like those exterior lights) because I tried that once and it got extremely hot and melted some of the surrounding plastic pieces. If you can get something like 3W or less, I'd go for that. Good luck with it :)

As previously stated there before mate, the bulbs in the shifter are most likely gone.

Do what I did :P Go to Autobarn and get some different coloured ones :)

And yeah - brake pads by the sound of it. Mine need doing too... lol. I'm getting mine done at 150k (1k away).