Stalling

stephano

I've just experienced my first problem with our four week old 200 GXL TD. Twice within five minutes on the weekend driving at between 20-50ks the engine cut out in traffic without warning. On pulling to the side of the road the car immediately started.

Took the car to the dealer who had it for over a day and found 'nothing wrong with it'. I don't know if it was fuel or electrics (I suspect the latter as there was no indication of fuel starvation) but it would not be good to have this happen again at speed on the freeway with a truck at the rear.

Anyone else had this?

Steve

I've just experienced my first problem with our four week old 200 GXL TD. Twice within five minutes on the weekend driving at between 20-50ks the engine cut out in traffic without warning. On pulling to the side of the road the car immediately started.

Took the car to the dealer who had it for over a day and found 'nothing wrong with it'. I don't know if it was fuel or electrics (I suspect the latter as there was no indication of fuel starvation) but it would not be good to have this happen again at speed on the freeway with a truck at the rear.

Anyone else had this?

Steve

Hi Steve

I have not had the problem myself but did hear the reason for the delay in releasing the Turbo Diesels back in November was they took some to Cairns for a press release promotion and a few suffered a similar problem. As a result they held them ( the T/Diesels ) back and on investigation they found there was a fuel or fuel filter problem so maybe this is your problem.

Regards Tony

Anyone else had this?

Steve

Hi Steve

I have not had the problem myself but did hear the reason for the delay in releasing the Turbo Diesels back in November was they took some to Cairns for a press release promotion and a few suffered a similar problem. As a result they held them ( the T/Diesels ) back and on investigation they found there was a fuel or fuel filter problem so maybe this is your problem.

Regards Tony

Thanks Tony

After thinking about this for a while, I reckon it could be some form of electrical interference (inside the car or outside) with the electronic start/stop button and/or the electronic 'key'. It hasn't done it since.

I don't think it was fuel simply because there was no sign of fuel starvation and it started instantly when it was put in park and the start button pushed.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, bought new 200 TD - done 693 km (had car just on one week) stationary at lights, put my foot on the accelerator to take off - no response. pressed the accelerator again and the vehicle took off but with limited power. managed to get my car to the car park where I let it idle for a few minutes and the engine kept cutting out. Immediatley called dealer who claimed that they have not heard of this happening before. i insisted that they look at the car immediately and figure it out. turns out they want my car for one week as they want toyota australia technicians to look over it and run 14 hours of tests - just what I need on a new car! Initial thought from service guy is that they have heard of some problems with the diesel pumps. Have I bought a lemon?

Steve, any outcome with your car - I will update you when I get my car back.

Hi, bought new 200 TD - done 693 km (had car just on one week) stationary at lights, put my foot on the accelerator to take off - no response. pressed the accelerator again and the vehicle took off but with limited power. managed to get my car to the car park where I let it idle for a few minutes and the engine kept cutting out. Immediatley called dealer who claimed that they have not heard of this happening before. i insisted that they look at the car immediately and figure it out. turns out they want my car for one week as they want toyota australia technicians to look over it and run 14 hours of tests - just what I need on a new car! Initial thought from service guy is that they have heard of some problems with the diesel pumps. Have I bought a lemon?

Have you tried the other Toyota forum --- lcool.org --- click on tecnical section.

You will find there is more discussion on it than this forum ; there is a topic on 200's stalling. Hope the problem is solved quickly for you as it must be very disappointing for you ; maybe you have some bad fuel ?

Regards Tony

After the dealer had my car for two days they said they could not find anything wrong with it. Have done around 1700ks since with no repeat. I don't think it was fuel in my case but some form of electrical interference with the 'key'/push start.

Steve

• 5 months later...