Hilux Steering NEED HELP NOW!!

~Dj Dirty

I just put the 3" body lift on my 1991 model Hilux...

Started her up.... And the steering was screwed.....So i turned and turned and turned. And i have broken the steering knuckle.

Is there anyway i can get a new one that is a little bit longer and will compensate for the lift. Seen as it is now broken?

Plz help i am so desperate right now!!!!

I know ARB do extension steering shafts, you will be hard pressed finding a knuckle thats longer... To the best of my knowledge the most you should have lifted the car was 1.75 inches so maybe a bit more checking of all components that are affected by the lift should be considered next time. Best of luck :)

Its a universal joint , and i would suggest going to the wreckers to get one. The extension shaft i helped install on my mates HiLux came from behind the firewall through the engine bay to the steering box. Was quite easy to install, however you will certainly need a new universal joint o fit it properly :)

go on www.snakeracing.com.au stie and they have steering shaft extensions on there for under a 100 bucks i think got it on mine for a 2 inch lift u might also have to alter were the shaft enters thru the firewll a bit

u can lift a hilux up too 4 " if u want just gotta do the appropriate mods with it

but u will need a new uni joint and also check the one under the dash as well for damage

the uni under the dash has about 2" of adjustment in it so undo that bolt and slide steering shaft up to fit new extension in down at steering box then tighten it al up and test but make sure u mod the firewall section first otherwise it will jujst bre again

I have dropped the lux back down to stock blocks.

Gonna sell the 3" blocks that i bought, and when i get some cash together will put on the 4" IFS Lift from Snake racing (comes with everything that i need)..

Im going to pick up a Universal Steering Coupling from the wreckers today and throw it in... At least then ill be able to drive it HAHA!!

If anyone here knows somewhere i can get a new one of those couplings then itd be greatly appreciated.... Toyota said that id have to buy the whole shaft for like 320 buks. Screw that!!!!!!!!

Guys!! Picked up a new steering shaft/column from the wreckers, wrestled with it today to get the ignition off and get it all going. Was nearly finished putting it in just then and my torch ran out of battery!!!!!! GRRRRR!! Gotta finish in the morning then ill be going for a drive to make up for all the driving i haven't done this long weekend.

hey man u said u were savin for the 4inch ifs lift i thought ours was a solid axle lux and i didnt think they made them in ifs in 91 in the dualcab and ute form

Dont they??!?! *****!!!! What do you recommend then man??

this is the kit i got

X FLEX Pro Rock Stage 3

Click to enlarge

The new "X FLEX" Pro Rock Stage 3 kit is the ultimate in out of the box components. If your wanting the the best that can be fitted to your solid axle Hilux this is the kit for you. Never before have all our components been put into 1 kit that will give you the ultimate off road vehicle. This kit will allow the fitting of 35 x 12.5 tyres and give the best in articulation and still allow on road driveability.

2 x front X Flex springs, 2 x rear X Flex springs, X Flex rubber bush kit, Front and rear braided brake line kit, X Flex extended greasable shackles, inverted rear shock kit, front shock hoops, 4 x Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, 1 x Snake Racing rear wrap bar. 50mm dropped front X member, X over steering arms, rock rods, tie rod ends, new knuckle studs, X over pitman arm, steering shaft extension, IFS steering box fit up kit.

Note - Supply of IFS steering box and longer front tailshaft will be required to complete and install this kit. The fitting of a 50mm body lift will be required to run 35x12.5" tyres.

Note - The fitting of this kit may require other components to be installed on trucks with engine conversion or other previous conversions / modifications.

Product Code: HLXFLEXPR3

RRP inc. GST: $5,500.00

AND U COULD GET SOMETHIN LIKE THIS DEPENDIN HOW MUCH U WANNA SPEND

X Flex Econo Stage 5

Click to enlarge

The Stage 5 Econo kit is a perfect way to get you lifted 50mm and get your solid axle hilux / 4 runner flexing. Front and rear extended greasable shackles, front tailshaft spacer, adjustable torque rod and adjustable dropped drag, rubber X Flex bush kit and front and rear braided brake line kit & front and rear adjustable Rancho 9000 Shocks make this the perfect way to finish of the suspension to your stock or lifted springs.

Note - When ordering online 1 x purchase = front and rear ext shackles, adj torque rod, 25mm front tailshaft spacer with fitting hardware, dropped drag link, X flex bush kit, front and rear braided brake line kit and Front and rear Rancho 9000 Shocks

Product Code:

RRP inc. GST: $2,130.00

Go on this website mate www.snakeracing.com.au its pretty much straight forward to get were u want but make sure u click on solid axle hilux instead of ifs hilux (solid axle being the front axle being the same type as the back one and not in a wishbone setup)

but there is heaps on this site and if u ring rhino or email him he is a great help and can almost tell u what u will need for your application and u can always make your own kit

this is the kit i got

X FLEX Pro Rock Stage 3

Click to enlarge

The new "X FLEX" Pro Rock Stage 3 kit is the ultimate in out of the box components. If your wanting the the best that can be fitted to your solid axle Hilux this is the kit for you. Never before have all our components been put into 1 kit that will give you the ultimate off road vehicle. This kit will allow the fitting of 35 x 12.5 tyres and give the best in articulation and still allow on road driveability.

2 x front X Flex springs, 2 x rear X Flex springs, X Flex rubber bush kit, Front and rear braided brake line kit, X Flex extended greasable shackles, inverted rear shock kit, front shock hoops, 4 x Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, 1 x Snake Racing rear wrap bar. 50mm dropped front X member, X over steering arms, rock rods, tie rod ends, new knuckle studs, X over pitman arm, steering shaft extension, IFS steering box fit up kit.

Note - Supply of IFS steering box and longer front tailshaft will be required to complete and install this kit. The fitting of a 50mm body lift will be required to run 35x12.5" tyres.

Note - The fitting of this kit may require other components to be installed on trucks with engine conversion or other previous conversions / modifications.

Product Code: HLXFLEXPR3

RRP inc. GST: $5,500.00

AND U COULD GET SOMETHIN LIKE THIS DEPENDIN HOW MUCH U WANNA SPEND

X Flex Econo Stage 5

Click to enlarge

The Stage 5 Econo kit is a perfect way to get you lifted 50mm and get your solid axle hilux / 4 runner flexing. Front and rear extended greasable shackles, front tailshaft spacer, adjustable torque rod and adjustable dropped drag, rubber X Flex bush kit and front and rear braided brake line kit & front and rear adjustable Rancho 9000 Shocks make this the perfect way to finish of the suspension to your stock or lifted springs.

Note - When ordering online 1 x purchase = front and rear ext shackles, adj torque rod, 25mm front tailshaft spacer with fitting hardware, dropped drag link, X flex bush kit, front and rear braided brake line kit and Front and rear Rancho 9000 Shocks

Product Code:

RRP inc. GST: $2,130.00

Go on this website mate www.snakeracing.com.au its pretty much straight forward to get were u want but make sure u click on solid axle hilux instead of ifs hilux (solid axle being the front axle being the same type as the back one and not in a wishbone setup)

but there is heaps on this site and if u ring rhino or email him he is a great help and can almost tell u what u will need for your application and u can always make your own kit

Thanks man!! Do you know of anyone that does installations?? Just dont wanna do it myself after what happened last time LMAO!!!

u might just have to hunt around to find someone that'll do it places like tjm and arb etc only like fitting there kits and dont go to anything to extreme either ya best bet is prob a small suspension place maybe but depending were u live snakeracing do the installs and places like superior engineering (www.superiorengineerig.com.au) there the hardcore guys

i love lookin at those sites especially snakes site i think i got about 6 or so windscreen stickers now between the 2 luxs but i dont think thats a bad thing rite lol

p.s. if i was in qld mate id give ya hand but then again if we could afford the fone bill id be able to tell ya everything over the fone lol

Edited by v8toy

u might just have to hunt around to find someone that'll do it places like tjm and arb etc only like fitting there kits and dont go to anything to extreme either ya best bet is prob a small suspension place maybe but depending were u live snakeracing do the installs and places like superior engineering (www.superiorengineerig.com.au) there the hardcore guys

i love lookin at those sites especially snakes site i think i got about 6 or so windscreen stickers now between the 2 luxs but i dont think thats a bad thing rite lol

p.s. if i was in qld mate id give ya hand but then again if we could afford the fone bill id be able to tell ya everything over the fone lol

Thanks mate!!! Yer, i love checkin there sites out aswell! Yah, im in the great state of QLD!!! YEOW GO MAROONS!! Anyway..... What model Lux's you got anyway??? Nah man! The more stickers the better i reckon!!! Haha! (only got the one myself, shame!)

With regards to the phone bill, i just rang telstra and they said they would be happy to fund the 2 week long call.. :whistling: :P :P HAHA!

woohoo telstra sponsered lets milk that one properly lol

me and the missus wanna get to brissy shes in the army so we wanna get posted there then we can hit lmp and all the other awesome areas.

we also race quads so thats bigger over there.

i got a 1990 singlecab lux originally had the 22r petty in her and 5 speed but turfed all that and put a vp v6 and t700 engin/box combo plenty of power and awesome offroad but still the stinky old pushrod and castiron block so i didnt like it justy typical holden problems all the time.

its got 6'' lift with 33's i made the 2'' extended shackles and 2'' body lift but bought and installed springs and steering gear myself and tyhen the useall **** factor like 6 big spotties uhf's and stereo gear etc

the others a 1993 dualcab lux when i got it it was dead stock apart from white wheels and highway tyres the guy nearly died when i took it back to him with the 6 '' outa the single cab and all the lights etc lol he asked if i was gonna treat it nice and i said yes lol (toyota v8 is treatin it nice i reckon)

this has the v8, prado 5 speed snake racing lift and same **** factor as the other with the a 3'' exhaust giving some note hehe.

pm me or anything if u need some help/advise on these beut trucks hopefully soon ill have heaps of spares for comps (oneday)

Nice! Sounds like you got a couple of beasts happenin there!!! Do you have any decent pics of em? Wanna c what they look like with 6" lifts on em... Especially the 1990 model, probs looks exactly mine, except for the lift...and spotties HAHA..

yeah first is one of my single cab all shiny and second is of my dually next to a 2'' lifted triton others are of the 1uzfe v8 and the other is the snakeracing kit the singlecab cocking a wheel

post-6551-1213700368_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1213700382_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1213700398_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1213700426_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1213700827_thumb.jpg

Edited by v8toy

yeah first is one of my single cab all shiny and second is of my dually next to a 2'' lifted triton others are of the 1uzfe v8 and the other is the snakeracing kit the singlecab cocking a wheel

Holey moley!! our dually is MASSIVE! Love the Single cab though!! Looks lik mine, but a lot meaner HAHA!

the dual cab against the triton fot has exactly the same lift as the singlecab well it actually came out of it lol and will be bigger when the snakeracing kit goes in but i must admit it did feel bigger than the singlecab and looked ten times better especially when the stereo was cranken tunes