About Engine Rebuild

Hi there, anyone have experience in engine rebuild?

Does it worth to do so or just swoop another engine 4AFE is better?

My corolla is sick for a while, the engine is lack of power and accelerate like an ant.

Tried to change spark plugs, air filter, oil, petrol, oil additive...and more.....but......

I will try to do a compression test on her today, hopefully it can tell me what happen.

Here is the result I have got 1: 170, 2:160, 3: 165, 4:170

And I also realized there maybe a oil leak inside, say.....when I took out the spark plugs for cylinder 1 and 3, there weren't any oil/ fluid attached to it (Brown in colour) while sparks plugs from cylinder 2 and 4, there were.

Now I am reading the manual, and try to identify the problems....

Any brothers got any ideas, welcome to post here...

Cheers :)

it could be your spark plug seals on the rocker cover that are leaking into 2/3, but that wont leak into your cylinders, if that compression is measured in PSI then it should be fine, does the engine seem to rough? it could be something else other than your engine.

P.S. ants run pretty fast if they weren't so small :D

it could be your spark plug seals on the rocker cover that are leaking into 2/3, but that wont leak into your cylinders, if that compression is measured in PSI then it should be fine, does the engine seem to rough? it could be something else other than your engine.

I think the cylinders should be fine 2, according to my manual, their compression rates are all within the range.

What I concerned is since cylinder 2 and 3 were measured at lower compression rates than others, it could be the head gasket between them is blown.

BTW, my car drinks lots of petrol by comparing with other corollas (Same model no modifications) 1 tank 45L only can run 330km and it can't drive fast with low acceleration power (almost can't drive up hills or driving 45-55km/h) and no top speed (100km/h is maximum)

And one more important thing is when I press the gas pedal, there is a funny noise "tatatatatatatatatatata...." coming from the engine no matter the engine is warm or cold and no matter I am driving fast or slow.

There should be something wrong, but I just don't know where. I tried to ask the mechanics and they all said it is ok....but in fact it is not "Okay". That's why I am trying hard to find out myself.

P.S. yea...you're rite. Turtle should be more suitable...lol

your timing is way out if your getting the tap your distributor has been shifted which should never happen on an EFI engine. Especially as the 4a-fe's dissy contains your tach and injector signal sensors as well.

oil in the cylinders means either a valve or seal in the head is worn and leaking or the rings are stuffed and the bottom end is up for a rebuild.

Difference between the 4A-GE and the FE is only a few KW's and the FE produces more torque lower down the rev range so unless you drive like me in the 4-8k rpm the FE is the better choice and will save on fuel as revs need fuel to happen. Less rev's less fuel.

what year are you talking about?

switching to a 7A is fairly straight forward if you have a post 95 model. if it's pre you'll have a fight on your hands. And you have to injure the engine bay and firewall just to fit a zz so forget that. The crossmember isn't big enough to handle the girth. Not to mention all the custom gear you would have to get fabricated just to strengthen the frontend enough to take the brute.

Sounds like your trying to go the cheap route as it is so I'd recommend the 4A-FE or 7A if you know what you're doing.

If I need to swap an engine, the only engine I will consider would be 4AFE since there will be less trouble by just fitting the new one replacing the old one. :P

Actually, my car is running alright but just not efficient and lack of power. Just want to find some ways to improve and correct the problems.

Cheers :)

I think the cylinders should be fine 2, according to my manual, their compression rates are all within the range.

What I concerned is since cylinder 2 and 3 were measured at lower compression rates than others, it could be the head gasket between them is blown.

BTW, my car drinks lots of petrol by comparing with other corollas (Same model no modifications) 1 tank 45L only can run 330km and it can't drive fast with low acceleration power (almost can't drive up hills or driving 45-55km/h) and no top speed (100km/h is maximum)

And one more important thing is when I press the gas pedal, there is a funny noise "tatatatatatatatatatata...." coming from the engine no matter the engine is warm or cold and no matter I am driving fast or slow.

There should be something wrong, but I just don't know where. I tried to ask the mechanics and they all said it is ok....but in fact it is not "Okay". That's why I am trying hard to find out myself.

P.S. yea...you're rite. Turtle should be more suitable...lol

sounds like the head gasket is on the way out - any emulsified gunk on the inside of oil fill cap. test the coolant.

cylinders 2&3 compression may be lower than the other 2 but it shouldn't cause lack of power as its only a slight difference, probably the piston rings are a little bit more worn causing a slight leak, and i mean SLIGHT. shoulnt affect the motor since compression is still that high. the "tatatatatatatatatatata...." sound is where your worried about... depends on what "tatatatatatatatatatata...." it is coz it could be a... "tatatatatatatatatatata...." lifters, or a "tatatatatatatatatatata...." main bearings spinning or a "tatatatatatatatatatata...." piston slap or a "tatatatatatatatatatata....". one occasion a car had wrong spark plugs and the piston was hitting the tip of the spark plug, run like sh*t and went "tatatatatatatatatatata...." . another car had timing belt installed on wrong timing marks, and the valves were nicking the top of the piston and went "tatatatatatatatatatata...." LOL, or it might not even be your motor but your transmission/clutch whichever you have... but then they don't go "tatatatatatatatatatata...." :lol: hope i was helpful and good luck

Today, I realized my car hasn't got any problem when I drive around 100 km/h at M2....but that is pretty scary as so many semi-trailers passed through me and my car is light =.="

Anyway, thanks for any recommendations, u guys a champion.

p.s. Have to fit on a bumper and keep tracing for the problems, Cheers :)

Today, I realized my car hasn't got any problem when I drive around 100 km/h at M2....but that is pretty scary as so many semi-trailers passed through me and my car is light =.="

Anyway, thanks for any recommendations, u guys a champion.

p.s. Have to fit on a bumper and keep tracing for the problems, Cheers :)

Rebuild the engine, some forged piston and its ready for a turbo!!!!

Aiyeh ka ramba baby!

BOOST !!!!!!!!!!!! ..........