Useing a Hydrogen Fuel Cell?

Hi all,

I have been looking on the net, as well as watching an acticle on tv this week reguarding using a hydrogen cell to lower fuel cost, from what i have read it seens to be able to drop your fuel cost by half. Has anyone out there done it????? I have an old cruiser (61 Sereis 12ht) which i will be taking around australia next year. As I live in Noth Western QLD diesel seems to be going up 10c every fortnight. If I could drop my fuel bill I am willing to give it a crack. Does anyone know anyone else who has done this? Or has an opinion on it??? Cheers I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Hi all,

I have been looking on the net, as well as watching an acticle on tv this week reguarding using a hydrogen cell to lower fuel cost, from what i have read it seens to be able to drop your fuel cost by half. Has anyone out there done it????? I have an old cruiser (61 Sereis 12ht) which i will be taking around australia next year. As I live in Noth Western QLD diesel seems to be going up 10c every fortnight. If I could drop my fuel bill I am willing to give it a crack. Does anyone know anyone else who has done this? Or has an opinion on it??? Cheers I look forward to hearing your feedback.

was this the one on channel 10 a few days ago? those two guys seemed kinda dodgy haha :whistling:

Edited by puma.

Hydrogen fuel cell technology is still being developed, the biggest challenge is actually getting the Hydrogen Tank in a size that works in a car yet can still keep the temp of the hydrogen at the -260 something degrees it needs to be maintained at.

BMW is leading the way in developing this, They've had 7 series models running on the stuff for years because it was the only model big enough to accomodate the jumbo tank required, but just months ago they had a breakthrough in developing more compact tanks that still have the necessary insulation to keep the hydrogen at the right temp.

Problem is though, there is no infrastructure in place to refill hydrogen cars yet.

Hydrogen fuel cell technology is still being developed, the biggest challenge is actually getting the Hydrogen Tank in a size that works in a car yet can still keep the temp of the hydrogen at the -260 something degrees it needs to be maintained at.

BMW is leading the way in developing this, They've had 7 series models running on the stuff for years because it was the only model big enough to accomodate the jumbo tank required, but just months ago they had a breakthrough in developing more compact tanks that still have the necessary insulation to keep the hydrogen at the right temp.

Problem is though, there is no infrastructure in place to refill hydrogen cars yet.

It was on Channel 7, today / tonight, and yes they seemed dodgy... I was more looking at it from a savings point of view. The canisters look easily enought to fit in the engine bay. As the hydrogen gas is plumbed into the intake it is meant to use less fuel. I was more worreid about damage to the enigne and the hydrogen exploding under the bonnett.

The hydrogen is a by product of running an electric current through water. My Dad in his ever expanding pursuit to do all things that others say cannot be done is researching it atm. I know that sometime in the next 6 months my Hilux will have it as will his Accord and few other cars in the family.

Honda are quite advanced in hydrogen fuel cells as well. They just released the FCX Clarity on a lease basis in the US I believe