ETHANOL - YES OR NO/

NOEL GORDON

Hi All

MY first post: experience with ethanol, on a Series 2 Avalon.

After about 1,000k's on ethanol, starting probs exaserbated. The motor has always been a little "iffy" on hot starts, often firing, then stopping. Yes, I know about holding key rings and the remote as extensions of the key, and not at right angles.

The problem extended to cold starts (previously good), hot starts requiring long cranking time, before a "fluffy" start.

Starting greatly improved, after progressively diluting with unleaded. Now, it's close to normal.

I broached the subject with my local dealer's service wallahs, who, of course, toed the company line, saying that the Nagoya Ranch ok'd the use of ethanol, but they certainly did not say that Toyota recommended ethanol. When ethanol was mentioned, the customer standing next to me let out a snort - and seemed to mutter "bloody ethanol". Others I've asked have had varying experience of the blend; it seems to vary, car-to-car.

These recent incidents may be simply co-incidental and would have happened anyway, but it's been my experience that car problems don't usually go away - they just get worse! But, as starting is virtually back to normal, ya gotta wonder!

CHEERS

NOEL GORDON

Edited by NOEL GORDON

I've used 10% ethanol fuel once before in my old Camry, and will never touch it again. When I had a full tank of it in the Camry (a complete fill from nearly empty), the car was running less smooth than it did on regular unleaded and on a few occasions I had difficulty starting it, especially when cold. I had a remote starter on that car and it had so much difficulty in starting it with the ethanol fuel, because it needed a little bit of throttle. I would hate for my Aurion to be fed that stuff.

i used E10 on my aurion and its fine.. it actually says on the petrol cover thing E10 ok or somthing like that..

i think it was just as good as 91 ron.. put 98 ron its much better..

The thing with old cars is the engine is not/was not made for E10. Ethanol burns hotter than normal fuel and the engine does not run as good when it gets to a certin point heat wise.. for city driving E10 is ok.. for long road trips where the engine will be used for more than a hour at a time.. mabey not so..

just fill up 1/2 a tank.. see how you go.. if the car dont like it then go somehwere and fill up with 98 ron.. the mix should bring it someone between 95-97 ron and your car will run better. then dont use E10 again..

oo and dont use E10 for any proformance cars.. !!!

i used E10 on my aurion and its fine.. it actually says on the petrol cover thing E10 ok or somthing like that..

i think it was just as good as 91 ron.. put 98 ron its much better..

The thing with old cars is the engine is not/was not made for E10. Ethanol burns hotter than normal fuel and the engine does not run as good when it gets to a certin point heat wise.. for city driving E10 is ok.. for long road trips where the engine will be used for more than a hour at a time.. mabey not so..

just fill up 1/2 a tank.. see how you go.. if the car dont like it then go somehwere and fill up with 98 ron.. the mix should bring it someone between 95-97 ron and your car will run better. then dont use E10 again..

oo and dont use E10 for any proformance cars.. !!!

FWIW The E10 I used was rated at 95ron. But, like most other users report, consumption goes up on E10, which only just offsets the 2cent reduction in cost.

Cheers

NOEL GORDON

I have to dissagree.

I have run E10 (95 Octane) in my onld camary and Auion for years. I cant see much difference at all, it may the the crappy petrol stations you go to, not sure. 95 Octane Premium (real fuel) does give a little better consumption, but for 8 cents cheaper a litre, I'll keep running the E10.

I know may will never agree. I would prefer to run Premium all the time too.

Edited by Adrian

.. O95 Octane Premium (real fuel) does give a little better consumption, but for 8 cents cheaper a litre, I'll keep running the E10. I know may will never agree. I would prefer to run Premium all the time too.

You are saying running O95 or Premium would get better but how much better? From my calculations we only need around 28kms more for every tank then we are better off. Can we get more than 28k per tank (each fill: 60 litres)?. I've got a table in another thread which shows no, we can not get more than 28kms per tank with Premium (in my case Shell V_Power) otherwise I will laugh all the way to the bank. I'm using V_Power for my Presara now, with other reason, not for saving.

BH