Tyre Rotation? which way?

Blackkluger

Anyone know what the best rotation method is using all 5 x 19" wheels on the AWD model?

I searched this up and it says for AWD, do the cross method, which is front left to rear right, front right to rear left, but for 5 wheel rotation it says to always use the spare on the rear right but if you do this on a cross rotation, you never use the spare on the front right or rear left wheel????

Anyone got suggestions, as im about to rotate these things in the next week when i hit 5000k's.

Due to cost, i want these 19" to last as long as possible....

Good thinking BK - I'm about to hit 5,000km myself. Some people keep the spare untouched, and just rotate the 4 on the car, then when it comes to buying new tyres you only need to buy three (but you are then locked to staying with the Dueller's, and end up with a worn-out spare <_< )

Just to confuse the issue I found this description and diagram...

On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive cars with full-size matching spare, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure G)

tire_rotation_fg.jpg

Silly question and I haven't had the need to check, but the spare is a full-sized alloy, and not a full-sized steel rim?

Cheers

Edited by holmesie

The spare is full size allow, thats the thing, i really want to have the choice of getting a different brand tyre(hopefully) that wont require me to redraw on my loan LOL

I was think if i didnt touch the spare, i can buy 1 new matching and 2 new (other brand) tyre, they say it is legal as long as both front are matching and both rear are too...

My front outside of the tyres seem to be wearing abit.

I'll certainly be going with a slightly wider tyre is possible next time around, so I think your idea of rotating the spare in the sequence is a very good one. I will probably follow the diagram above as every tyre ends up in every position on the car at least once B)

Cheers

LOL. If i got 5 years out of a tyre, i'd be laughing. Im lucky to get 12 months, on my barina, even with non-switchable traction control, i've gone through the front set from new in 11 months...

I just want to do this excersive not to make it last but to maximise the tyres i have.

Rotated mine on the weekend as per the diagram (G) above, took me an hour and two beers while watching the Manly/Rabbitohs match on the shed TV B)

Kluger (sorry WIFE) has travelled 5300km since we picked it up at the end of June, so I guess I'll be doing it again towards the end of Septemeber :rolleyes:

LOL. If i got 5 years out of a tyre, i'd be laughing. Im lucky to get 12 months, on my barina, even with non-switchable traction control, i've gone through the front set from new in 11 months...

I just want to do this excersive not to make it last but to maximise the tyres i have.

I was saying that you shouldn't keep tyres for much more than 5 years, even if they havent been used.

• 3 months later...

Just had our 20,000 service done at our local dealer. Three things I asked for them to pay attention too. I even wrote them a note listing these points.

1. Sign/stamp the logbook for the 10,000 service which they missed last service.

2. Adjust the park brake which hasn't worked since new

3. Rotate the tyres AS PER THE OWNER'S MANUAL diagram including the spare. Last service they didn't touch the spare, it was still new when I did my own rotation at 15,000.

Well, they adjusted the park brake. I haven't tested it on an incline yet, but it seems better.

They didn't sign off on the logbook again.

The tyres were rotated, but as if you had asked a child to do the rotation, Spare to RL, RL to FL, FL to FR, FR to RR, RR to Spare.

However, they were nice enough to fix this after a phonecall. I drew them some diagrams to help. Would of been nice to get it done right first time.