Coolant on 98 camry 2.2

zahmad

What's the right coolant to use in the 98 camry 2.2L? Currently its at very low levels with a blue coloured coolant in there...from previous posts, i here it should be either green or blue....what to do? And also...engine seems to be noisier than before...feels like it vibrates a lot more....

Cheers...

Edited by zahmad

I have NEVER heard of a car using anything resembling blue coolant. OEM Toyota's use Red or Pink coolant. Green and Orange are aftermarket. None of them should EVER be mixed. I'd personally flush the cooling system, and refill with Toyota Red or Pink coolant, and use Distilled water when topping off.

Well that's what's in there....anyone know if toyota dealers are able to flush, and how much it will cost?

it costs about $100 or so for a dealer to drain it, flush it out properly, plus the cost of whatever coolant they use to top it back up, which is usually about an extra $50. it would be wise to get a 1 litre bottle of undiluted TLLC for the occassionaly top up. i wouldn't recommend using anything other than toyota long life coolant (the red stuff) in a camry. the camry's don't take too well to other sorts of coolants.

because of how often you need to do it (like every 75,000km or so), i think it is worth getting it properly flushed out by a dealer. all the old coolant will need to be flushed out of the heater core as well as the engine block. as ASG14 said, mixing coolants is never a good idea, as it can corrode passages, stuff gaskets, etc.

Edited by lateralus

Flushing the cooling system yourself is no hard task, all you need is a hose. Just stick it in the top radiator hose, disconnect the bottom radiator hose (depending on the system and it's location you might need to remove the thermostat too, so you get full circulation), open the heater tap as well, and just flush until the water coming out turns clear.

When you do this, always use concentrated coolant to fill it back up, so you can account for the water still in the block and heater core. Pre-mix coolant is really only useful for topping up.

Flushing the cooling system yourself is no hard task, all you need is a hose. Just stick it in the top radiator hose, disconnect the bottom radiator hose (depending on the system and it's location you might need to remove the thermostat too, so you get full circulation), open the heater tap as well, and just flush until the water coming out turns clear.

When you do this, always use concentrated coolant to fill it back up, so you can account for the water still in the block and heater core. Pre-mix coolant is really only useful for topping up.

there's also drain plugs on the radiator and engine block for exactly that. no need to remove hoses.

however, just using plain tap water is one thing that can contribute to corrosion in your engine.

there's also drain plugs on the radiator and engine block for exactly that. no need to remove hoses.

however, just using plain tap water is one thing that can contribute to corrosion in your engine.

If you have crappy tap water (ie really hard or really soft, both affect performance either through corrosion or calcification), maybe.

If you leave coolant in the engine long enough without flushing it so that tap water becomes a corrosion factor though, you're an idiot. Flush your coolant every fourth oil change or so (20-40,000km), it's not that expensive ($20 for coolant, tap water is essentially free) and it'll be fine. Coolants these days has corrosion inhibitors in it anyway.

And half the time the drain plugs on the engine block are either really hard to get to, or pour onto something vital, or both in the case of a 4AGE. Up next to the oil filter, which means UNDER the distributor, UNDER the exhaust manifold, and directly ABOVE the air-con compressor. So you rip your hand open just trying to reach the bloody thing, and then when you finally get it open it dumps 5L of lovely coolant straight onto the air-con compressor, which in my books isn't a good thing. 4A/7AFEs are only slightly better, they have more room since the distributor is at the end of the head, but the air-con compressor is still in the same spot.....

I made a huge post on this once upon a time... mighta been another Camry thread.

As mentioned, open the tap on the radiator, let it drain out... I use a hose to flush it out. I close the tap on the radiator, fill it back up and let it run out, and repeat... mainly to get rid of the stuff in the engine block. Once I'm happy with the clear water coming outta the bottom of the radiator, I get a 4L bottle of Distilled water and rinse it through (better than nothing?).

I use either Nulon's premade Red coolant stuff, or Toyota's Long Life Coolant (Red). No doubt, Toyota's is better, and I will be using Toyota next time.

Booked in for Thursday, was quoted $90.....so tell them to top up with some original Toyota stuff?....

...one more thing, How would I know if the timing belt has been changed, nothing specifically written on the maintenance booklet as no service history for 15000km or so....:(

Booked in for Thursday, was quoted $90.....so tell them to top up with some original Toyota stuff?....

...one more thing, How would I know if the timing belt has been changed, nothing specifically written on the maintenance booklet as no service history for 15000km or so.... :(

If the belt has been changed by a dealer or decent mechanic they usually put a sticker on the timing cover saying when the belt was changed (date and kms) and when the next belt change is due. Normally they get changed every 100,000km or so, so unless you're around a x00,000 mark (ie 100, 200, 300 etc) the timing belt won't be an issue.

It is a big job though, fair bit of labour and often best to change water pump and crank seals at the same time too.

If the belt has been changed by a dealer or decent mechanic they usually put a sticker on the timing cover saying when the belt was changed (date and kms) and when the next belt change is due.

Sorry to be such a noob, but where is the timing cover in this model camry?

If the belt has been changed by a dealer or decent mechanic they usually put a sticker on the timing cover saying when the belt was changed (date and kms) and when the next belt change is due.

Sorry to be such a noob, but where is the timing cover in this model camry?

The timing cover is the plastic cover that goes over the cam gears and timing belt, it's on the end of the head and block at the opposite end of the engine to the gearbox......so, if my memory of the 5SFE serves me correctly, it should be on the left hand side (if you're standing in front of the car and looking under the bonnet) of the engine.

Don't have photoshop and can't be bothered with mad Paint skills (at work you see), but in that photo above the timing gear cover is the black plastic shield/cover thing on the end of the head, directly above (photo-wise) the windscreen washer bottle. That's usually where timing belt replacement stickers are placed. If not, then just look everywhere on the head for a sticker.

Hey, im a parts saleman at Ian Weigh Toyota, definately use RED coolant, which is 50 50 mix, half coolant, half water.

They started to change the coolants in 03 models, not sure on the month, i think its something like 8/03.

But just basically repeating wat everyone else has said.

Ok, I got it now, so its is basically the black cover on the timing belt, yes?

yep, thats it. just a plastic sheild sort of thing, and the sticker in most cases is put on the side of it. Which will have the last time it was changed.

Ok, I got it now, so its is basically the black cover on the timing belt, yes?

yep, thats it. just a plastic sheild sort of thing, and the sticker in most cases is put on the side of it. Which will have the last time it was changed.

No stickler, guessing not changed?