96 corolla seca csx broken???

im a young noob so i may lack some detail.

i have just found out that my cars timing belt makes a squeeking sound (but looks fine) and my exaughst manifold is cracked which is i had noticed when somone pointed it out to me. (think was caused by me driving for 2 weeks without any engine coolant)

I KNOW LAUGHT :huh:

I know the exaughst manifold would cause some of this to be a problem . i dont know but it sounds like as though its really coming from the exaughst, when accelorating.

also the rear of my car keeps jumping up and down even when i am driving like 20kl/h. would that be any of the following?

a)suspension

b)tires arent straight (they look alright)

c) brackpads arent working correctly

any idea what i should check or do to fix this problem...

i know i have asked a few to may questions lol any input would be muchly appreciated

i have just found out that my cars timing belt makes a squeeking sound (but looks fine) and my exaughst manifold is cracked which is i had noticed when somone pointed it out to me. (think was caused by me driving for 2 weeks without any engine coolant)

Are you sure it's the timing belt thats squeaking and not just one of the accessories belts (WP, alternator, PS, AC etc). Squeaking/squealing from a toothed belt is NOT a good sound (any kind of sound from a toothed belt isn't good really, because of the implications of it jumping teeth)

Are you sure it's the timing belt thats squeaking and not just one of the accessories belts (WP, alternator, PS, AC etc). Squeaking/squealing from a toothed belt is NOT a good sound (any kind of sound from a toothed belt isn't good really, because of the implications of it jumping teeth)

For your reference ..

WP = Water Pump

PS = Power Steering

AC = Air Conditioning

not having coolant in your car for 2 weeks is a death sentence for pretty much any engine.

I'd suggest you take it to a mechanic and asking him to check it out for you. Or..... If you know of any mechanical minded friends... start there.

Chances you've blown a head gasket, or cracked/warped the head of the engine are high too.

as far as the rear jumping up and down... you're going to have to be a little more descriptive.... is it a vibration?

any problems that are occurring in your Rolling Stock (Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension) need to be taken car of thouroughly... last thing you want is either your brakes failing, or a wheel bearing seizing. Faults in These areas are dangerous.

hey dudes....just dropped my car into the mechanics

apparently the cars manifold is very very badly damaged, the intercoolers leaking and a few little issues.

WHICH WILL ALL BE FIXED :D

its now getting a sports extractor put in to replace the damaged manifold.

been told the one im getting will make it run nicer...cant wait to take it for a test run on the road :yahoo:

the intercoolers leaking and a few little issues.

Intercooler? Where?

Pretty sure thats a radiator.

the coolant is leaking from the radiator. its going to be fixed up today. so yeah....nothing to worry about

im just excited about the extractor :lol:

Intercooler? Where?

the coolant is leaking from the radiator. its going to be fixed up today. so yeah....nothing to worry about

Dont get too excited... the stock 86kw (In 1995) your engine has, might increase slightly.

Save your pennies for a 20V engine swap. Then you can REALLY be excited!

Intercooler? Where?

Dont get too excited... the stock 86kw (In 1995) your engine has, might increase slightly.

Save your pennies for a 20V engine swap. Then you can REALLY be excited!

A good exhaust + intake can really help the 7A, mine went from 61 to 71kw at the wheels (an earlier dyno had given 68 stock, but that was on Shootout mode on an absolute stinker of a day, so can't really be counted) with extractors and full exhaust. The main place you lose power is in the stock cast iron manifold and the engine pipe, which flattens to an oval as it goes over the cross-member.

BAD NEWS EVERYONE

im apparently cant get extractors for my car. Apparently for my model they made about 6 types of engines. my mechanic got all the extractors that were surpose to fit the car. All of which couldn't be solded onto the engine....later to find out that there isnt one available for my car.

The mechanic however had a contacts with Toyota and managed to find me a brand spankin new manifold instead which was their last one. (very rare)

The option he gave me was spend $700 to get someone make me an extractor for my car (with installation)

OR

get the brand new manifold for $500. (with installation)

IVE DECIDED TO JUST STICK TO THE MANIFOLD BEING THE CASE I DONT SEE THE IT WORTH SPENDING EXTRA CASH ON. PLUS I NEED MY CAR ASAP AS I WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK. IM REALLY ****** OFF THAT ITS ALL COSTING ME MORE THAN I WAS EXPECTING. i WAS EXPECTING TO SPEND $300. I'LL DEAL WITH IT. <_< i guess if i ever want to change it to an extractor i can later on.

as for all the problemS that my car has been having...its all fixed now so thats a plus ;)

BEING A NOOB AND ALL....what would be the best things to change to get more performace out of the car (without making it a turbo or getting a whole new engine)

the cars fully genuine and stock.

Any ideas on what to do would be fantastic

Edited by armstrong

BAD NEWS EVERYONE

im apparently cant get extractors for my car. Apparently for my model they made about 6 types of engines. my mechanic got all the extractors that were surpose to fit the car. All of which couldn't be solded onto the engine....later to find out that there isnt one available for my car.

The mechanic however had a contacts with Toyota and managed to find me a brand spankin new manifold instead which was their last one. (very rare)

The option he gave me was spend $700 to get someone make me an extractor for my car (with installation)

OR

get the brand new manifold for $500. (with installation)

Well, someone's been feeding you a load of crap. 6 different engines? The AE10x series in Australia came out with TWO, count them, TWO engines. 4AFE, and 7AFE. Even if you take into account auto and manual versions, thats only 4 (and there's no difference in most of the engine with the transmission option). But essentially, there are just two, and they're very similar.

Being a CSX, you should have the 7AFE 1.8L. Extractors ARE out there, probably around the $300 mark for a decent-ish set.

And solded to the engine? WTF? Exhaust manifolds BOLT to the engine, and both the 4AFE and 7AFE share the same bolt pattern on the head - the only real difference is that the 7A manifold is slightly taller to take into account the taller deck height. Actually go to the place and get the mechanic to SHOW you how they don't fit. And take photos to show us, we should be able to tell fairly quickly exactly what engine you have etc etc

And $500 for a standard manifold is an absolute rip, they are worthless pieces of ****.

its been done..i got a new manifold on the car. (genuine one from toyota)

apparently i got the wrong message. the extractor will fit at the top where the 4 holes are for the engine. But the bottom part where it goes out to the exghaust is located a bit far to the right. So i cant be connected. The mechanic said he tried to get a mate to get some proper extractors for my car (6 to be exact) in but they didn't fit either.

Apparently they make the extractors for the car model before and after my model. He then investigated to get one for me to get custom made. but the bloke wanted $700 for the extractor to be made. so my mechanic got the manifold for me brand spankin new from toyota.

THE CAR I GOT IS A 1996 AE102X COROLLA SECA CSX HATCH. The engine is a 7AFE 1.8L automatic

like i said its been done. the cars been fixed...its hard to find the time to modify the car. Without a car to drive i simply cant get to work.

Ill stick to the manifold for a while, and if i want to change it later on then i will. but at this time i cant afford to modifying the car as i rely on it so much to get me to work.PLUS when i get my new job at the end of the year ill think about either buying a new car or modifying the corolla.

its best to play it safe a for a few months:) :)

oh yeah the new genuine manifold cost me only $370 cos he knew i wasn't happy with all the drama, cos it caused me a bit of difficulty with getting to and from work the next day without a car. plus he got me excited about getting an extractor instead and said how much better it would be on the car.

Apparently they make the extractors for the car model before and after my model. He then investigated to get one for me to get custom made. but the bloke wanted $700 for the extractor to be made. so my mechanic got the manifold for me brand spankin new from toyota.

THE CAR I GOT IS A 1996 AE102X COROLLA SECA CSX HATCH. The engine is a 7AFE 1.8L automatic

If it's the engine pipe that doesn't line up, all you do is spend $50 and get a new pipe to the cat made up. Easy-as for any exhaust shop to do, makes me think the mechanic was taking you for a bit of a ride. If one guy quoted you $700, thats a rip off if ever I've seen one, and you should have shopped around.

Extractors for the AE112 (the model after yours) should be exactly the same as the AE102, they share almost identical front ends/engine bays. And I've got extractors on my 1997 7AFE (it's manual though), same series as you (but sedan) and there was no issue with things lining up.

Something's not right here.