how to change sparkplugs?

ive been looking through threads about which spark plugs to use, but havent seen a thread which can show me how to change the sparkplugs? i saw a decent how to on changing oil and oil filter, but nothing on changing the sparkplugs. i realise i may be looking in the wrong places coz in all probability its been covered... but for the life of me i cant find it.

ive looked through the corolla manual which was online but couldnt find it...

please help, id like to get this all done asap.

jase

don't know what to do specifically for a corolla, but basically you need to remove the cyclinder head cover (the plastic thing) and locate where the spark plugs are.

to be safe, i always disconnect the negative battery terminal from the post. remove the electrical connecters from the ignition coils, and then remove the ignition coils themselves with the igniter. remove the spark plugs using a plug wrench (usually around 16mm, but check the size of the replacement plugs if theyre the same, which they should be if theyre the correct ones). the plug wrench is similar to an abnormally long socket wrench head.

check that the electrode gap of the new spark plugs match the specs in your manual, but if they dont, do not adjust them as theyre probably iridium tipped. make sure you buy some that are supposed to be specifically used in your engine.

install the new spark plugs and tighten to the correct torque setting (you can get a cheap torque wrench for about $30 that will do it fine). reinstall the ignition coils with the igniter, reconnent the electrical connectors for the coils, then reconnect the battery.

i may have missed a couple of things, but im sure other people can give you some more pointers

good luck :)

Edited by lateralus

install the new spark plugs and tighten to the correct torque setting (you can get a cheap torque wrench for about $30 that will do it fine). reinstall the ignition coils with the igniter, reconnent the electrical connectors for the coils, then reconnect the battery.

Torque wrench isn't usually needed, general rule of thumb is finger-tight and then an extra quarter turn, no more. The last thing you want is to strip the spark plug thread, or break off a plug.

Torque wrench isn't usually needed, general rule of thumb is finger-tight and then an extra quarter turn, no more. The last thing you want is to strip the spark plug thread, or break off a plug.

It should write this on the actual spark plug little rectangular box. If the plug has a gasket, it should be half turn with the wrench. If it has no gasket, should be a full turn.

so simple.. remover engine cover, take out coil packs, take out old spark plugs throw in bin, put new spark plugs in set gap if they havent been pre set but good idea to check anyways, coil packs back in an away you go!

Ditto to Angelo...

Don't worry about disconnecting the battery, using a torque wrench or anything like that...

toyota don't give specifications for nothing, you know...

so far today ive managed to change my oil, oil filter and coolant today which was good.. but i dont have a shaft (for lack of a better word) long enough to reach the sparkplug. the wrench i bought today for changing the sparkplugs couldnt reach.

since the sparkplug is pretty far down, would there be any chance of it getting stuck on the way out? theres very little wiggle room in there.

changing sparkplugs in theory looks pretty simple but for me id really need someone showing me how its done.. hard to explain things by reading info alone... i need visuals.

btw i even bought a corolla repair manual from supercheap today. the tools they had in the pic looked shorter than the shaft i bought and it was still too short. other than that, the book was a good buy! 40 bucks though.. but i can flick through the book better than i can read the online manual that was posted up on here a while back.

if you buy your self a decent set of tools it will come with everything.. there is a special spark plug socket with a rubber washer thing (dont know the name of it) that holds onto the spark plug so when its loose you can pull the lot out! yes you will need an extension to reach them.. you can also put some anti seize on the threads so they come out easy the next time!

Like ppl said above, remove your coils, etc. locate each plug. You can buy a plug socket to use with your socket set to remove the plugs which is bonus. You will most likely need an extension bar to reach further down into the head. Would probably advise cleaning around each plug first to avoid dirt dropping into your cylinders. Then Torque them up as advised above :) gl.