!HELP! - 2zzge Exhaust Manifold Gasket.

Hi Guys.. Looking for somone who knoes what these variations of headers look like....

I have my 2zzge Ported headers that look like this...

P1020611.JPG

and my Brand new Corolla Sportivo Gasket... looks like this

P1020620.JPG

So far i have learned that it seems as though i have the Celica Headers from a 00-03 Celica 2zzge... they have a slightly different gasket... without the 4 holes in the top of the gasket.

I want to know... if On the 2zzge in the Corolla Sportivo.. do we make use of these 4 holes in the Gasket?? or am i to believe that these holes are there for air injectors on the USDM versions

heres a pic of the USDM celica headers with the Air Injectors BLOCKED. These extractors WOULD suit my gasket... although the Air Injection has been blocked off...

GTS%20Air%20Injection%20Blockoff%20Header%20Front.jpg

Anyone who's put in CES or aftermarket headers could tell me this... SB???

Edited by Blind Kid Seeks

To further this, this is a photo of a 2000 Celica 2zz exhaust manifold gasket.

P1050003.jpg

The view from the rear of the head down the offending hole

P1050005.jpg

The view up the offending hole from the exhaust valve.

P1050008.jpg

I would have taken better photos, but the battery died and that is all I have to work with for the next few hours :P

Edit: Andy found the following information clearing this up here, http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205642

sooooo In summary....

The celica headers i had found at the wreckers were from a Celica 1999 - 2003.... and are not suitable for our engines...

ANUS!

Ok guys... next question....

Do You think i can get some welds tacked onto the headers to block off these ports as per the OEM Air Injection Block Off Series that i am SURE all us Sportivo owners have.

GTS%20Air%20Injection%20Blockoff%20Header%20Back.JPG

The Toyota part number for the post 03/03 manifold is: 17141-88601, and gasket: 17173-88601

While the part number for the pre 03/03 is: 17141-88600, and gasket: 17173-88600

and for anyone thats interested... Brand new parts are roughly $32 for the gasket and $380 for the headers.

thanks Super Dave... you really are Super ;)

OKK... so came up with a solution today....

Rather than creating/welding something to the exhaust manifold... why not block off the hole with a plug??

SD.. can you please have a look at that head for me... and measure as accurately as possible the Inside diameter of the hole and also the depth.

P1050005.jpg

I'm gonna get it Tapp'd out with a few threads and get an allen key style Plug/screw/nut to block these holes off.... can anyone see any problems with doing this?

RollerPedalAdjKey.jpg

that's an interesting one...

If you're going to plug it, I'd use alloy plugs to try and at least have the plug material expand with heat at the same rate as the head etc. I'd probably also use a tapered thread plug too in order to try and make it seal, would probably need to use something like threebond 1110B on the threads, or maybe something more permanent...

I'd also be tig'ing on some tabs to the top of the manifold flange that cover the plugs to ensure they can't work their way out, that would be one hell of an exhaust leak :P

that's an interesting one...

If you're going to plug it, I'd use alloy plugs to try and at least have the plug material expand with heat at the same rate as the head etc. I'd probably also use a tapered thread plug too in order to try and make it seal, would probably need to use something like threebond 1110B on the threads, or maybe something more permanent...

I'd also be tig'ing on some tabs to the top of the manifold flange that cover the plugs to ensure they can't work their way out, that would be one hell of an exhaust leak :P

Thanks for your reply...

I wanted to go down the TIG/Plates on there from the get go... but it seemed as though as the exhaust manifold heats up,... theres a significant chance the added tabs would slightly bend thus not creating a decent seal with the gasket.

i was thinking some form of JB weld as a sealant. but that stuff takes a day to cure...

do you beleive that there is a chance the heating and cooling of the plug itself shrinking and contracting could damage the head at all?

the welding of tabs I was referring to are just to stop the plug winding out, not meant as a sealing surface..

Toyota use plugs in most of their alloy heads in one form or another, they're all alloy though. I've not seen a steel plug in an alloy head. If you want larger alloy grub screws you could try Motorsport Connections, those guys have a fairly decent range of fittings etc. http://www.mscn.com.au/

They have a lot more in stock than what is listed on the website.

Yeah, looks like its getting worse. Wont be near the head for a little bit so can't take any measurements till then. How deep did you actually want the measurement?

Biting the bullet might be the best option unfortunately.

• 13 years later...
On 11/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, lanz bhing said:

IMG_20211120_213818.thumb.jpg.00c1063cf23418fe2be321cf13b845c6.jpg

That is the air-injection/smog pump pipe, basically on the more stringent emissions packages fresh air was injected directly in to the exhaust stream to assist with complete combustion/oxidation of un-burnt hydrocarbons caused by running rich.  The smog pump wasn't fitted on Australian-delivered 2ZZs (either Celica or Sportivo), so if you get a set of headers from overseas with the feed pipe you need to remove it and block the ports.