Servicing....

zahmad

So as from the previous thread, did a full coolant flush, put some new red coolant done by phil gilbert toyota in lidcombe, nsw. On their report however, they mentioned recommendations of "r/h front shock absorber leaking" & "oil leaking front timing timing cover area and rear main seal"....

...now first things first....the recommendations repair were quoted at $4## and $1200 respectively from the dealer......

....then the 120,000km servicing was quoted at $513, already excluding the $99 from the previous engine flush....

...and then the minor servicing....oil and filter replacement....

....would do the full servicing and the repairs, but currently dont have the funds...

So firstly, are the recommendations serious? Does it urgently need to be rectified?

Secondly, willing to do a minor servicing right now... what oil and filter should be used if bought from outside dealer.....what are your recommendations?.....

.....the car had become more racious and noisy in the past months....is that servicing/above mentioned noises or something else altogether?

....Serious advice required!

Thanks to all...

P.S. Camry Csi 1998 automatic 2.2L

Didn't realize that was the actual mileage. I've seen people ask about the 120,000 service (as well as other mileages), and not even be near that mileage.

At 120,000km, if your rear main seal is leaking, and you have a leak in the timing belt area:

1: The previous owner (if your not the original owner), badly neglected the car.

2: Your car was screwed up when made.

3: The dealer is playing games.

The 5SFE engine does get rear main seal leaks, but rarely at that mileage. Same with oil leaks from the timing belt area, not at all normal at 120k.

I can however see at that mileage, that the struts may be going bad. That's not suprising. and you have to replace the struts in pairs (Front or Back). But at that mileage, I'd have all 4 replaced if 1 is bad. The others are probably not far behind.

I'd say take it to another shop (not a dealer), who has a good reputation. Do not say what the problems are that the dealer stated. I'd ask if they can check to see if there is "any oil leaks".

I can however see at that mileage, that the struts may be going bad. That's not suprising. and you have to replace the struts in pairs (Front or Back). But at that mileage, I'd have all 4 replaced if 1 is bad. The others are probably not far behind.

word. do the struts first, as theyre form a major part of the suspension which is the only thing between you and the road.

the oil leak isnt overly important at the moment, but you should fix it as soon as you can.

My rear main oil seal is leaking at 160,000kms. I go to an independent mechanic and he has seen a few Camrys do this. He gave me an explanation about why it happens - something to do with the type of seals Toyota was using at the time. I have also seen this problem mentioned in numerous used car reviews.

Do not go to Toyota. Find yourself a quality mechanic and not only will you be charged less on items such as labour but you will also find they do a better job.

I had a minor leak from my power steering pump and was quoted $800 by Toyota to recondition the pump. My mechanic quoted me $250 for reconditioning (inc. labour) and under $800 for a new pump.

Edited by JMacca53

So get the shock absorbers replaced first.....anyway, what about the minor service...

...what oil and filter do you guys recommend?.....or should I get the 120,000 km service done by the dealer...

Edited by zahmad

120000km service on your particular camry is only like air filter brakefluid n coolant as u've already done the coolant cross that off wat else is on a 120000 on a 98 camry sparkies are every 100000km i know that a timing belt every 150000km i know atf diff n trans i beleive there seprately filled on that model

Need to urgently know the engine oil to use....whats good for this model?...mechanic will put any I prefer and buy myself....and can he do the transmission oil change?

Edited by zahmad

Need to urgently know the engine oil to use....whats good for this model?...mechanic will put any I prefer and buy myself....and can he do the transmission oil change?

for a camry, i wouldn't go past castrol magnatec. i've been using it in my 2005 v6 sportivo since i got it and i haven't had any problems at all. however, because you have 120,000km on it plus an oil leak, go for something semi-synthetic with a 20w-50 viscosity. go for a more reputable brand such as mobil or castrol.

for the oil filter, you can go genuine toyota for around $16, or go for a better designed more efficient filter such as k&n for about $20 (i would do this for mine). they'll both do the job well, but the k&n a better job.

for transmisson fluid, i'd highly recommend you stick with the genuine toyota fluid. that also goes for coolant, power steering, brake and clutch fluid. your car will have most likely been maintained with genuine toyota fluids for the duration of its life, so its not recommended you switch and mix products now.

hope that helps.

Went to our mechanic....seems to be a problem with the muffler....hence the noise....he ordered geniune toyota parts.....fized it up, costing only $30....

The oil leaks are real, and he says they will take days....better get them done through toyota....minor servicing done by mechanic already!

P.S He put in some engine oil from a tank he has got at his station...i.e the mechanic is with the petrol station (a BP Independant)...any ideas what he might have put in? I didnt get a chance to look and see...:(

Edited by zahmad

• 2 weeks later...

who knows what he put in? it could be anything

if he won't tell you, or you aren't satified with the oil ishould he tell you, then you can easily change it to something you want.