My Latest Dyno

Here it is, my official print out. I got 163 whp (121kw) and thats only from adding the TRD CAI. All the Honda guys were in disbelief. I feel so proud. For some strange reason I gained 5whp since the last time. I guess the location of the dyno probably helped since this time I went to a cooler part of the island.

What concerned the Guy operating the Dyno was my air/Fuel mixture. Ive posted it as well. He sait that I should have leveled off at 14 but as you can see from the chart, I leveled off at around 12. Can someone explain what this means. He said I should get the Apexi Super AFC 2 so that he could tune it just right. That way he said I'd even see greater gains. Let me know what you guys think. Oh he didn't have the equipment to meausure my torque but my previous run showed 117.

post-367-1107720358_thumb.jpgpost-367-1107720380_thumb.jpg

It means the engine's running a little too lean or rich because your ECU is tuned for the stock airbox, not the CAI. Although it does make some adjustments on its own from what it learns from what the airflow sensor tells it, the ECU still needs to be tuned if you really want to make the most of your mods, you should also get more durability from your engine if it's tuned sensibily.

The Apexi AFC2 will help to even out your Air/Fuel ratio's. By doing this you can gain more power the same as Unichip, emanage etc.

The results of Unichip tuning has generally shown a peak increase in the 5-10% range but a larger gain in the 3000-6000rpm range making the 2zz far more responsive (punchier you could say) in that rev range.

You just have to be careful not to tune it too close to the tolerances of the engine whereby you start to experience engine knock. A good tuner will take it back a little from this where as some of the more shady characters do not just so as to be able to show you a bigger increase than the other guys give.

A good tune though should increase the reliability of the car.

Thanks for the advice guys. So would you recommend buying the S-AFC 2 at this stage? :huh: How much more power can I expect. Ilivfor6, your estimate would mean an additional 15 or so hp. Am I right? This upgrade has me really interested, especially since I could afford it right away. As for the tuning, this guy seems pretty level-headed. Did I mention that he leads the 11 sec class with a turbo-charged Civic! His car is nuts, a sight to behold! People down here are still in awe of this 2ZZ engine. Most toyota people here dont even know it exists. :D

Edited by JDM RunX

If you're planning other performance mods such as exhaust, flywheel, throttle body etc etc, it's best to hold off, because the ECU needs to be re-tuned everytime you make a change which can be costly.

However, if you don't think you'll be doing anything else for a while - go for it.

Basically all you're doing is optimising the engines settings

Sport1vo - I'll try to make it Saturday, maybe see if they can fit me in for a run too.

Edited by IZZ-FE

If you're planning other performance mods such as exhaust, flywheel, throttle body etc etc, it's best to hold off, because the ECU needs to be re-tuned everytime you make a change which can be costly.

However, if you don't think you'll be doing anything else for a while - go for it.

Basically all you're doing is optimising the engines settings

Sport1vo - I'll try to make it Saturday, maybe see if they can fit me in for a run too.

Well basically I'll be saving for suspension upgrades so I wont get around to any performance upgrades until after summer. Is that a long enough time to enjoy the AFC before tuning again?

Is the Apexi S-AFC 2 considered as a 'piggy-back' system?

If in the future I decide to get a Unichip will I have to replace it?

Is it equal to the Unichip or Emanage or other such Piggy-back systems or is it inferior?

My personal preference would be to go the Unichip first (mainly because I have seen how it has worked on a few 2zzg's now while I have not seen the others).

I would think the Unichip offers more tuning points than the S-AFC 2, but that's just a guess.

My personal preference would be to go the Unichip first (mainly because I have seen how it has worked on a few 2zzg's now while I have not seen the others).

I would think the Unichip offers more tuning points than the S-AFC 2, but that's just a guess.

Can u give more info on the Unichip? You see I have it installed in my Corolla TSport (Australian Sportivo) but noway did I see gains of 5-10%.

Can u give me an approximate of the horsepower gains when the Unichip is installed to an Australian Stock Sportivo?

Giannis glad to see you finally made it here ;) and welcome all the way from GREECE HEY!!!!!!!!

I have seen figures of 5-12 kW increases ranging on a number of corollas I think that someone even posted an 18kW gain on this forum if in right?

so yes a 5-10% gain is definatley not out of the question for the sportivo/cts

Graig, glad to be here m8!

The thing is that the best power output I can get with Unichip is 4-5 whp tops in my CTS. So I cannot really understand how on earth you managed to get 5-12KW. So I am wondering...does this have to do with my tuner or my main E.C.U. is of different specs than yours?

Here it is, my official print out. I got 163 whp (121kw) and thats only from adding the TRD CAI. All the Honda guys were in disbelief. I feel so proud. For some strange reason I gained 5whp since the last time. I guess the location of the dyno probably helped since this time I went to a cooler part of the island.

What concerned the Guy operating the Dyno was my air/Fuel mixture. Ive posted it as well. He sait that I should have leveled off at 14 but as you can see from the chart, I leveled off at  around 12. Can someone explain what this means. He said I should get the Apexi Super AFC 2 so that he could tune it just right. That way he said I'd even see greater gains. Let me know what you guys think. Oh he didn't have the equipment to meausure my torque but my previous run showed 117.

post-367-1107720358_thumb.jpgpost-367-1107720380_thumb.jpg

You are running "Rich" air/fuel ratio. The lower the number the "Richer" and running "Rich" is better than running "Lean". Its just that fuel economy will probably suffer a little and power gain can be restricted slightly. The stock ECU is trying to compensate for the increase in air intake hence pumping more fuel to prevent detonation in the engine. If you are thinking of getting the max out of your engine then get an aftermarket ECU. Most turbo charged cars run very "Rich" when they start putting bolt-on mods and you can always tell when their exhaust is pumping greyish white smoke under hard acceleration.

Zee

• 1 month later...