filtermag!

hi guys,

though it makes sense, does anyone here use them for your car?

i mean, i know theres magnetic oil filters now, autobarn are selling blitz oil filters with magnets in them, but this "filtermag" is a one off purchase, but its around $100....ffs

ive done some serious, the aussie landrover guys seem to be discussing it alot...

anyone use them and swears buy them?

cuz i want the best for my car, though just a camry, but im sure we all do - want the best for our cars that is.

cheers

Put it this way, if you have bits of ferrous metal floating through your engine then you have a problem that needs addressing. I'm not sure what your engine is made out of, I'll assume iron block, there is very little chance any of that iron will break off, and if so then I would have a guess that a rod has too ;) But there are lots of other non ferrous metals in an engine that it wont pick up.

I'd say nay.

yea after reading more last night, leaning more towards a nay.

after one of the guys on the aussie landrover site picked out a good point. we are buying $200 filtermags for the prolonging of your engine. however, if your engine lasts 300,000km as it should, wot exactly are you prolonging?

i had 3 camrys and numerous japanese cars in my direct lifetime that have reached beyond 300K, with standard oil and filters such as cooper and ryco, hey they turned out smackingly good....soo....?

chances r some dodgy powersteering pump or engine leakage will occur prior to any engine "breakdown"

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted to try it out, you can allways make one for cheap.

All you need is a normal oil filter and some neodymium magnets (these can be obtained from old computer hard disks) stick the magnets to the outside of the filer and there you have it... a filtermag.

But as superdave said, if there are bits of iron or other ferrous metals floating around in your oil you may have a more serious problem.

Nay, the job of the filter is to trap these materials anyway.

If these materials are big enough to be caught by the magnet, they'd be trapped in the filter anyway.

If these materials are getting through the filter, perhaps its time to change filters...LOL...