Brakes Squeaking

Hi All,

I recently had my clutch replaced about 6 weeks ago (2 days out of warranty, nothing wrong structurally, apparently just a heavy clutch foot :-/), as well as having the front brake pads replaced (and rotors machined) and a service. About two weeks after the brakes were replaced, the front right wheel started developing a squeak - think like a squeaky cog on something or a squeaky mousewheel. The noise stops as soon as I start braking, and sometimes its non existant - actually its become more dampened, but still apparent.

Then the other week, I smelt burning brakes, and the front left wheel made a grinding sound, this lasted for all of two minutes. I inspected the pads and rotors and they both appear to be set in and have enough pad on them, so I'm totally stumped to what it is.

Anyone got any ideas? If I can't solve it, I'll have to take it back to where I had it serviced and take them for a drive, but being the pseudo-mechanic that I am, I'd rather see if I can pinpoint the problem first.

Hi All,

I recently had my clutch replaced about 6 weeks ago (2 days out of warranty, nothing wrong structurally, apparently just a heavy clutch foot :-/), as well as having the front brake pads replaced (and rotors machined) and a service. About two weeks after the brakes were replaced, the front right wheel started developing a squeak - think like a squeaky cog on something or a squeaky mousewheel. The noise stops as soon as I start braking, and sometimes its non existant - actually its become more dampened, but still apparent.

Then the other week, I smelt burning brakes, and the front left wheel made a grinding sound, this lasted for all of two minutes. I inspected the pads and rotors and they both appear to be set in and have enough pad on them, so I'm totally stumped to what it is.

Anyone got any ideas? If I can't solve it, I'll have to take it back to where I had it serviced and take them for a drive, but being the pseudo-mechanic that I am, I'd rather see if I can pinpoint the problem first.

Have your brake pressure checked. Does the pedal feel as solid as before?

did they use toyota genuine pads? cause they tend to get noisey out of nowhere i get it all the time with mine one minute theyre fine next theyd be graunching their heads off.

the squeek could be a shim rattle or a shim out of place maybe rust on the disk

Have your brake pressure checked. Does the pedal feel as solid as before?

I was just thinking this yesterday afternoon, more on that in a minute, a little history first. I had the pads replaced and discs machined under warranty as they had somehow become warped (almost complete loss of braking power). That was on the 40,000 service. Car went out of warranty around 55,000kms and then had the clutch replaced, again pads changed and discs machined.

Now as I understand it, once the discs are machined, they put on a softer brake pad to bed in the brakes, at least this is what Toyota told me. RAC (who did the clutch, service and brakes) made no mention of putting softer breaks on there.

Pushing down on the brake pedal at idle, the pedal goes to the floor, probably go a bit more if it could. I wouldn't have thought this is right given they are fairly new brake pads?

Is there a way I can test the brake pressure or is it just a matter of seeing how far you can push it down? I've checked the brake fluid and it seems to be upto the correct mark.

did they use toyota genuine pads? cause they tend to get noisey out of nowhere i get it all the time with mine one minute theyre fine next theyd be graunching their heads off.

the squeek could be a shim rattle or a shim out of place maybe rust on the disk

Not sure, I'll dig out the service receipt and check the part number. I also have to check to make sure they installed the Exedy HD clutch as I requested (they ensured they did, but it pays to check).

Edited by Richie