Insurance with CAI

i just done a few mods on my car eg: Lowerred, wheels and CAI. i was wondering do u guys advise ur insurance company about the mods especially the CAI. Do u think I should tell them? I know lowerring and wheels shouldn;t be a problem but I'm just worried about the CAI. They may not insure me.

Also doesn;t anyone know which company will insure if u have CAI?

Thanks

Some companies might decline cover, but the majority would consider it as simply a modification to the intake, just like changing a single carby to multiple carbies, or changing a carby to an EFI system.

Some companies have points, depending on the extent of the modification. For example, at the company I worked for, you would probably be looking at 15 points (5 for the wheels, 5 for the lowering and 5 for the CAI), but double that if you're under 25 years old, i.e. 30 points. The maximum that a normal over-the-phone consultant will deal with is 26 points, anything over that they need special permission, plus you're likely to have added excess in the case of a claim.

Oh, and things like previous traffic infringments also attract points, again depending on their severity and how long ago they occurred. An interesting point is that turbos and superchargers are rated at 26 points ... I think there is a message there for all of us, don't you? :D

As I say, that's just the company that I know well, although with the government requirements placed on insurance companies these days, it wouldn't surprise me if they all work in a similar manner.

But as rollagrl said, the best way to find out is to ring around a few places and see. Just remember that they all have their own pricing structures and other features that might be included or optional, such as a hire car after an accident, so ask as many questions as you can and read ALL documentation cover-to-cover and query anything you don't understand. :huh:

Many people come unstuck when they go to lodge a claim and realise what they are and aren't covered for ... by then its too late. :o

Edited by Buddha

wheels and springs are a problem man i am with just car and they insure with any mods but won't insure the expensive one like my carbon bonnet they will only replace it if smashed with an original

if you smash or have it stolen the insurance co will do anything to not pay you if they inpsect and your wheels are anything more than +1 then no money for you and cai mods to any part without telling them no money for you.

cheers

wheels and springs are a problem man i am with just car and they insure with any mods but won't insure the expensive one like my carbon bonnet they will only replace it if smashed with an original

if you smash or have it stolen the insurance co will do anything to not pay you if they inpsect and your wheels are anything more than +1 then no money for you and cai mods to any part without telling them no money for you.

cheers

To be able to claim for a mod, you need three things to happen:

1) The mod needs to be legal,

2) You need to tell your insurer the full details of the mod, and

3) The insurer needs to agree to cover it and note the mod in writing on your policy.

As long as those criteria are met, you won't have a problem with claiming.

In the case of alloy wheels, for example, if 18" wheels are legal in your state, and your insurer is fully aware of them and has agreed in writing to cover them, then you're sweet. If you tell them your car is stock, then they will only pay for stock parts, which is logical.

In the case of the carbon bonnet, there are very few insurers anywhere that will cover body panels made of anything other than the original materials, but its important you tell them about it upfront so they can say "no" and you can make an informed decision before you pay your $$$.

As a car nut who used to work in insurance claims, trust me, there is nothing worse than hearing a fellow car nut getting angry or even crying because they find out too late that they're not covered for things that they've put their heart and soul into.

I told mine and i have all my mods insured..... Oh did i mention im with NRMA ;) ;) ;) ;)

I was very surprised when they let me insure all my mods .... oh n my premium didnt go up a cent :D :D :D :D

i just done a few mods on my car eg: Lowerred, wheels and CAI. i was wondering do u guys advise ur insurance company about the mods especially the CAI. Do u think I should tell them? I know lowerring and wheels shouldn;t be a problem but I'm just worried about the CAI. They may not insure me.

Also doesn;t anyone know which company will insure if u have CAI?

Thanks

Hey BlackRolla,

best to check with the insurers.

RAC, in W.A. for instance, will insure up to $750 in mods (e.g. speaker system) :(

the catch is, it cannot be performance enhancing.

Hey BlackRolla,

best to check with the insurers.

RAC, in W.A. for instance, will insure up to $750 in mods (e.g. speaker system) :(

the catch is, it cannot be performance enhancing.

Wow, that's not much, is it? You'd think that the auto clubs could do better than that, hey?