Looking for Pod and Roof bars for Kluger II ?

PC XT

Hello Guys and Happy New Year for 2009

After suggestions, experience and advice because I'm In the hunt for a large roof pod and cross bars as the new Kluger wont be big enough for all our gear on a two week trip and I'm not taking the trailer to Tassie! :rolleyes:

From what Ive seen the Thule brand seem to be the go but cost around $800.00RRP for the ATLANTIS 780 which is the size we would require, add roof rails, I have feet that should fit from my Subaru's bars that I have never used and still your looking at around 1k which seems very steep for something that will probably only be used once a year! :)

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Guys and Happy New Year for 2009

After suggestions, experience and advice because I'm In the hunt for a large roof pod and cross bars as the new Kluger wont be big enough for all our gear on a two week trip and I'm not taking the trailer to Tassie! :rolleyes:

From what Ive seen the Thule brand seem to be the go but cost around $800.00RRP for the ATLANTIS 780 which is the size we would require, add roof rails, I have feet that should fit from my Subaru's bars that I have never used and still your looking at around 1k which seems very steep for something that will probably only be used once a year! :)

I've got the ATLANTIS 780, and thoroughly recommend it. It does seem expensive for a plastic box. Seems like the price is pretty much fixed wherever you go. No one seems willing to discount.

I like the Thule because it's really easy to get on and off with the locking mechanism. You just put the box on and hand tighten the clamps. Only takes a few seconds. The Thule racks can also be key matched, so you only need one key for the racks and the pod. I really enjoy using it.

Previously I had a rhino, and it wasn't really as sturdy. One side of the dual side opening broke, and I couldn't get it fixed, because the supplier no longer keeps parts. Really noticed the difference in quality. Took me quite a while to get it on & off the roof. Wasn't too bad, but it was annoying at times, when I just wanted to take it off for a while. I ended up leaving it on for weeks after I came home, till I got round to taking it off.

I use my roof box to go to the snow a couple of times a year, and usually camping or other trips away with the family. Really handy. I wish I'd bought a Thule first time round.

Good luck

ps. if you're interested in my old rhinobox, (it only opens from one side now) send me a message. I'm in Sydney