Aftermarket Stereo

clivia kluger

Hi all,

I am look to fit an aftermarket stereo into my KX-R

From my initial research I beleive toyota uses a double din size to fit in, which is ok.

My question/s are

1 Do you have to buy an adapter kit for the fascia / dash so as to match it upwith the rest of the car ? and if so where do you get them from ?

2 Do the aftermarket stereo systems have the ability to use the steering wheel controls ?

I am wanting a stereo with blutooth capabilty, but am also interested in dvd/gps functions

THanks in advance

Cheers

Gary

B) Gaz, have a look through the forum. From memory, early last year one of the contributors found a JVC unit that fitted into the dash perfectly. I'm glad you didn't repeat my mistake of upgrading to the KX-S stereo for bluetooth. The stereo quality is okay not great but I mainly got it for the bluetooth - they don't like Nokia, Blackberry or ZTE (Telstra) phones. Its clear but you sound like you are at the other end of a tunnel. I finally managed to get the unit replaced and still have the same problem. Hope this helped. Pete

Hi all,

From my initial research I beleive toyota uses a double din size to fit in, which is ok.

My question/s are

1 Do you have to buy an adapter kit for the fascia / dash so as to match it upwith the rest of the car ? and if so where do you get them from ?

2 Do the aftermarket stereo systems have the ability to use the steering wheel controls ?

I am wanting a stereo with blutooth capabilty, but am also interested in dvd/gps functions

THanks in advance

Cheers

Gary

B) Gaz, have a look through the forum. From memory, early last year one of the contributors found a JVC unit that fitted into the dash perfectly. I'm glad you didn't repeat my mistake of upgrading to the KX-S stereo for bluetooth. The stereo quality is okay not great but I mainly got it for the bluetooth - they don't like Nokia, Blackberry or ZTE (Telstra) phones. Its clear but you sound like you are at the other end of a tunnel. I finally managed to get the unit replaced and still have the same problem. Hope this helped. Pete

Thanks Pete,

I will have a more thorough look.

The other one that we have got had the six stacker , but I thought that this was a bit too much and I should be able to get something good quality for a better price.

I have seen other stereo's fitted but they tell me that an aftermarket 'adaptor" may be needed .

Cheers

Gary

Looks good,

If you don't mind how much , and where is the best place to get them from.

Cheers

Gary

Kenwood DDX-8032BT $1349 Head unit with bluetooth

Kenwood KNA-G431AU $799 Navigation

from Soundmaster car audio

You also need a Pac-audio SWI-JACK for the steering wheel buttons.

They are around $140 from car audio wharehouse, but I paid more somewhere else because they were closed when I was installing the system.

The sound is so much better than the original in the KX-R and the Grande. The phone is clearer too.

Hi all,

My question/s are

THanks in advance

Cheers

Gary

I didn't have time to answer these questions properly before.

Toyota doesn't use a double din size, but double din units fit with an adapter. The Kenwood unit came with a universal adapter which needed to be cut to fit. Toyota also sells the side peices to suit, but don't ask for them for a Kluger, as there is no part listed. Ask for corolla or Hilux.

As I said above, you can use a PAC Audio steering wheel interface. There are other brands around, you just need to make sure it is suitable for Toyota and the brand of stereo.

The DDX-8032BT I fitted has Bluetooth inbuilt. The bluetooth is made by Parrot which is supposed to be one of the more reliable brands.

The GPS is a plug-in unit made by Garmin.

I also connected the rear view camera to the unit and it is much easier to see than on the original small display. I need to make a power supply for it as the power is currently coming from the information display. There are 2 problems with this:

1. The information display goes black and just diplays the caution message when in reverse.

2. It is possible to display the camera view when driving on the display, but there is no supply when not in reverse.

Does anyone know what voltage the rear view camera is supposed to run on? The measured voltage is 5.93V, but 5V would seem to be more likely than 6V.

You can connect sound and video from an Ipod if you buy the adapter.

If you don't connect an Ipod adapter, you can connect 2 USB memory devices instead of 1.

DVDs can be played and sound can either be surround or just to the rear speakers allowing something else to be played on the front speakers. I think this is only useful if you fit extra screens in the back of the car.

You can have 5.1 surround if you want to fit a centre speaker, subwoofer and amplifiers. Maybe overkill for a car.

There is also a TV tuner available, but it is analog, so will be useless in a year or two.

There are 2 buttons on the screen that can be configured to turn on an output. I will be using one to control my garage opener.

I looked around for close to 6 months and the system I ended up with was the only one that could do everything I wanted. There were cheaper options, but they were always missing one or more features that I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone checked what the speakers are in the Kluger?

All I know is the rear doors have 6.5 inch, front doors are 6x9 inch and there are speakers on the dash.

Does anyone know what the configuration of any of the speakers are?

After having a decent sounding head unit for a few weeks now, I've started to enjoy listening to music in the car again and I'm thinking about changing the speakers. A sub will be easy to add as I have a 5 seater and should be able to fit quite a large box where the 3rd row would normally be.

Also, if anyone wants to know, the supply for the rear view camera is 6V.

Mikey, you have obviously done a bit of research.

What made you settle on getting the DDX-8032BT with Bluetooth ($1400)and getting the $850- approx garmin plug in gps instead of going the other way with getting a DNX7320 with GPS ($1800) with the plug in bluetooth for $275 approx.

Just interested as I am more likely to get the integrated GPS but wanted to know if you found any other advantages to your set-up (I hate having a window mounted Sat Nav as I do currently)

Has anyone used the reversing camera from the Gen II kluger on the Gen I?

Cheers

What made you settle on getting the DDX-8032BT with Bluetooth ($1400)and getting the $850- approx garmin plug in gps instead of going the other way with getting a DNX7320 with GPS ($1800) with the plug in bluetooth for $275 approx.

Just interested as I am more likely to get the integrated GPS but wanted to know if you found any other advantages to your set-up (I hate having a window mounted Sat Nav as I do currently)

Cheers

There were a number of reasons I chose the DDX8032BT over the DNX7320.

The advantages of the DNX7320:

1. Cheaper.

2. Easier to install - Bluetooth could go anywhere when using DNX7320. Navigation had to be installed in a position so that you could access the SD card if necesary when using the DDX8032BT.

3. Matt black finish matches the Kluger interior better; the DDX8032BT has a gloss black finish.

The advantages of the DDX8032BT:

1. Navigation is a separate component; I heard that there have been problems with service on the Garmin navigation component as Kenwood and Garmin say it is the other companies problem. If there is a problem with the Garmin navigation, I still have the head unit while it is being serviced. There should also be more room inside for cooling.

2. The DDX8032BT has 2 USB ports; 1 for IPOD sound and video (with the adaptor) and 1 for USB memory or 2 for USB memory. The DNX7320 has only 1 USB port which can be used for IPOD sound and video (with the adaptor)or USB memory. So, if you use an IPOD, you can't use the USB port.

3. In the US, the DDX8032BT is sold as part of the Excelon range, which is supposed to be their higher end systems. In the US, these systems also have a 2 year warranty, so they may have more faith in their reliability or it's just a marketing ploy.

4. The DDX8032BT sound is able to be customised to suit the car and the speakers. It is possible to set the type of speakers, the crossover frequencies to each set of speakers, the distance of each speaker to the listening position and the level of each speaker. There is also a 13 band equaliser for each set of speakers. You can also select your listening position, front right, front left, front both and front and rear so that it sounds good for everyone in the car.

5. The DDX8032BT has 5.1 surround. I thought that this would be a bit of overkill, but it sounds so good now that I am thinking of installing a subwoofer and a centre speaker.

I had a window mounted sat-nav which was fine until I got the Kluger. When mounted on the window of the Kluger it was either too far away or too high.

Why would you want to use the camera from the Gen II Kluger on the Gen I Kluger?

If you don't want the external switch control and you dont mind a slightly smaller screen, the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, $1690, was a cheaper option than the DNX7320 and looks nicer. It also uses Parrot Bluetooth, like the Kenwood units. It was my second choice after the DDX8032BT.

Cheers

1. Cheaper.

2. Easier to install - Bluetooth could go anywhere when using DNX7320. Navigation had to be installed in a position so that you could access the SD card if necesary when using the DDX8032BT.

3. Matt black finish matches the Kluger interior better; the DDX8032BT has a gloss black finish.

1. Navigation is a separate component; I heard that there have been problems with service on the Garmin navigation component as Kenwood and Garmin say it is the other companies problem. If there is a problem with the Garmin navigation, I still have the head unit while it is being serviced. There should also be more room inside for cooling.

2. The DDX8032BT has 2 USB ports; 1 for IPOD sound and video (with the adaptor) and 1 for USB memory or 2 for USB memory. The DNX7320 has only 1 USB port which can be used for IPOD sound and video (with the adaptor)or USB memory. So, if you use an IPOD, you can't use the USB port.

3. In the US, the DDX8032BT is sold as part of the Excelon range, which is supposed to be their higher end systems. In the US, these systems also have a 2 year warranty, so they may have more faith in their reliability or it's just a marketing ploy.

4. The DDX8032BT sound is able to be customised to suit the car and the speakers. It is possible to set the type of speakers, the crossover frequencies to each set of speakers, the distance of each speaker to the listening position and the level of each speaker. There is also a 13 band equaliser for each set of speakers. You can also select your listening position, front right, front left, front both and front and rear so that it sounds good for everyone in the car.

5. The DDX8032BT has 5.1 surround. I thought that this would be a bit of overkill, but it sounds so good now that I am thinking of installing a subwoofer and a centre speaker.

I had a window mounted sat-nav which was fine until I got the Kluger. When mounted on the window of the Kluger it was either too far away or too high.

Why would you want to use the camera from the Gen II Kluger on the Gen I Kluger?

If you don't want the external switch control and you dont mind a slightly smaller screen, the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, $1690, was a cheaper option than the DNX7320 and looks nicer. It also uses Parrot Bluetooth, like the Kenwood units. It was my second choice after the DDX8032BT.

Thanks - that was one hell of a comprehensive reply.

I had a look at the Pioneer - aparently there is quite a significant problem with it booting up - in that it can take about 1min before you can play music or do anything, which leads me to my next question.

What sort of boot up time does the kenwood have? and how long before a reversing image comes up?

One of the reasons I am looking for this type of unit is to also install a reversing camera, but I don't see the point if one has to wait 30sec - 1min for the screen to come up so you can back out of the driveway (missus gets a bit impatient)

Thanks again Mikey

Cheers

1. Cheaper.

Thanks - that was one hell of a comprehensive reply.

I had a look at the Pioneer - aparently there is quite a significant problem with it booting up - in that it can take about 1min before you can play music or do anything, which leads me to my next question.

What sort of boot up time does the kenwood have? and how long before a reversing image comes up?

One of the reasons I am looking for this type of unit is to also install a reversing camera, but I don't see the point if one has to wait 30sec - 1min for the screen to come up so you can back out of the driveway (missus gets a bit impatient)

Thanks again Mikey

I had also read about the long boot-up time of the Pioneer. When I asked the question at a car audio shop where they had one hooked up, they couldn't figure out how to shut it off to show me. Right.

Different things take different times to turn on with the Kenwood.

Radio - couple of seconds

Rear view camera - about 1 second less than the original multifunction display, but still longer than the Grande

CD - don't know, or care

USB - about 45s

Navigation - about 20s

Edited by Mikeyboy

I had a look at the speakers in the Kluger today and I am sure that a huge improvement in the sound could be made by replacing them.

The rear speakers are 6 inch full range.

The front speakers are 6x9 inch full range.

The dash speakers are 2 inch mid range.

I was expecting a little better.

All of the speakers will need adaptors made as they are not a standard type of mount.

Has anyone changed their speakers yet?

I have changed all the speakers and Northfield (Brisbane) custom made a Sub box to be implemented in the rear of the car. It looks like it came out of the factory. I'm using Focal Speakers all round with a 6" Focal Sub and 2 Alpine Amps. Also integrated my head unit with an IPod interface and my rear dvd player is linked to the entire car's speakers which is sweet as.. Only thing is I am not able to watch the show that is playing .. :spiteful:

I have changed all the speakers and Northfield (Brisbane) custom made a Sub box to be implemented in the rear of the car. It looks like it came out of the factory. I'm using Focal Speakers all round with a 6" Focal Sub and 2 Alpine Amps. Also integrated my head unit with an IPod interface and my rear dvd player is linked to the entire car's speakers which is sweet as.. Only thing is I am not able to watch the show that is playing .. :spiteful:

A few questions.

Where did they put the sub box without cutting off access to part of the car? In my KX-R 5 seater, there are plenty of options because or the space where the third row should go, but in my Grande, any position seems inconvenient. Can you post a picture? I also couldn't find a Focal 6" sub. Was it a different size?

I couldn't find any Focal 6x9 with a separate mid/tweeter. What did you use in the front doors? I am thinking of Clarion because I can get a split speaker in 6x9 and 6.5. I can also get the same in MB Quart or Rockford Fosgate but I didn't want to spend that much.

Is there pre-outs for the amplifiers on the Grande head unit? I havent looked at the back of it.

There is obviously a aux in on the Grande unit, as you have connected the DVD to the head unit. Others on this forum have been trying to do that for some time. Maybe you can share some information. My head unit plays DVDs with proper surround, but I can only see it if I accidentaly connect the park brake input to ground. :whistling:

A few questions.

Where did they put the sub box without cutting off access to part of the car? In my KX-R 5 seater, there are plenty of options because or the space where the third row should go, but in my Grande, any position seems inconvenient. Can you post a picture? I also couldn't find a Focal 6" sub. Was it a different size?

I couldn't find any Focal 6x9 with a separate mid/tweeter. What did you use in the front doors? I am thinking of Clarion because I can get a split speaker in 6x9 and 6.5. I can also get the same in MB Quart or Rockford Fosgate but I didn't want to spend that much.

Is there pre-outs for the amplifiers on the Grande head unit? I havent looked at the back of it.

There is obviously a aux in on the Grande unit, as you have connected the DVD to the head unit. Others on this forum have been trying to do that for some time. Maybe you can share some information. My head unit plays DVDs with proper surround, but I can only see it if I accidentaly connect the park brake input to ground. :whistling:

Sorry i tink i havent replied anyting in my last posting. My bad.. They actually used Focal 6.5 component speaker (the K2Ps) for the front and 6X9 (CVX range) for the rears.. I have to post the pics on it another time cos i haven't actually showcased it.. What they did was they shaped the box to fit the 3 row seat's recline.. so it sort of support the shape of the seats.. i will get round it and take a pic of it as soon as possible.. sorry for the mistake on the last reply.. :blush:

Sorry guys.. Let me start over.. Northfield put in a Pre-Amp for the head unit.. Front speakers are Focals 6.5" K2P Component speakers.. Rear speakers are Focals 6.5" Coaxial speakers.. A 8" Focal Sub.. All powered by 2 X Alpine PDX amps.. Pretty pricey but its quality work.. I will post the pic of the sub soon once I have the chance.. TBA.. :whistling:

I've found the bluetooth in the KX-S is quite reasonable. I've had no complaints of people not being able to hear me on the phone (I have a Samsung phone). Seems to work as advertised. However, one thing it's missing is bluetooth HIFI. I can't connect my GPS or other media device through bluetooth. Bluetooth on the KX-S is only for phone calls AFAIK :(. It's not all that bad for a Toyota car stereo but I certainly wouldn't want to have paid extra for it if I'd bought a KX-R since there're much better alternatives.

I'm just waiting for wireless internet technology and digital radio to emerge in car entertainment systems before getting a head unit in a year or 2.

Edited by Colonel