looking for options to hookup xbox360 and pc on 1 monitor

JJCRU23R

as the title states, just wondering how others on the forum have dealt with this issue. i do have 2 inputs already on my new widescreen monitor, 1= vga, the other is DVI.

i bought a vga cable for the xbox and a vga-dvi adaptor to connect it through the dvi, but after a bit of researching, i realised there are 2 types of dvi. 1 type accepts analogue (vga) signals, the other type uses only true digital signals. i found out the hard way that the dvi input wont recieve any analogue signal.. so im left with 2 machines, 1 vga input.

sucks xbox360 hasnt come out with a dvi cable, but then again, its not really needed for HD gaming right? im assuming microsoft pretty much covered themselves in that area already without having to develop a digital cable... sucks.

so yea.. my monitor is 1440x900 and ive seen some vga switches on ebay that apparently only work at certain resolutions which do not include 1440x900?!

are those kinds of specs really on the nose or does it not matter what resolution you use?

although i only spent 3-4 bucks on the dvi adaptor, i still consider it a waste of money.. so i wanna make sure i get what i need without wasting a cent.

any constructive help would be much appreciated.

jase.

you could buy a "muti vga box thingy" its pretty much a giant splitter with its own power, one side is for output (numbers vary depending on what you get) and one side is input, with a 12v adaptor power. some models allow onboard switching and multiple viewing (this stuff is used for multiple display at harvey norman and junk, well some...). the guy at your local d ick smith power house or other electronic retailer should know what a "VGA splitter" is. unless they are pretty lame.

*Important*

May sure you get the one with its own power supply (it gives out better picture than one without) and make sure its the right one (some are vga1 to vga1 and vga2 to vga2, this thing is just to make your entertainment system look neat).

*Make sure you buy the right one for your application, which would be 2 input and 1 output* (Input for your 2 machines (i got an xbox and a ps3) and output which goes into your pc monitor.

Edited by Eargunk