Toyota Camry TS01

Sport1vo

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Camry rocks the suburbs

11mar05

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,12500742%255E21822,00.html

A supercharged Camry concept car shows a glimpse of Toyota's future performance plans.

While this particular version won't go on sale Toyota has strongly hinted there will be a high-performance variant in the next generation Camry, due late 2006. Also on the cards are high-performance models of both the Corolla and the Hilux 4x2.

The V6 Camry TS-01 concept produces 185kW (28 per cent more than the for-sale Sportivo version) of power and 320Nm of torque, an increase of 12 per cent.

While the technology was developed in Japan TS-01 was styled in-house by Toyota Style Australia led by Paul Beranger. Beranger's team were also responsible for last year's Sportivo Coupe Concept.

Toyota says the goal of TS-01 was to develop a sports-enthusiast variant of Camry that complied with Australian certification requirements. The TS-01 uses a Toyota Racing Developments supercharger developing 0.5-bar of boost. The car also features a heavy-duty sports clutch adapted from rally racing Corollas.

Gear ratios remain the same as used by the Camry V6 Sportivo five speed manual. The suspension has also been upgraded and the ride height has been lowered. 

The TS-01 sits on 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sports tyres mounted on specially cast 14 spoke wheels. The concept car features wheel flares, side skirts, a new rear bumper and a longer rear spoiler with a Formula One inspired centre-mounted stop lamp.

You'll find there's an article on this in the latest MOTOR mag. I'm assuming if they can fit a TRD S/C on Camry V6 & Toyota Australia approves, then warranty shouldn't be an issue if I fit one on a 1ZZ-FE Corolla in the near future. Of course I'd look at upgrading the clutch & brakes from TRD & suspension from Sportivo., & get some grippier tyres just to make sure.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

^

whats wrong with it :P

anyway, its a very nice car :D

i dont think it was easy to put a TRD Supercharger onto a RHD Camry, since we have the brake booster and brake reservoir and a few other things in the way, compared to the LHD people :rolleyes:

so they had to relocate these components to get it to fit, so ive heard.

nah, you can put the TRD on the RHD, but you just gotta re shape the brake booster abit.

coz CAPA does it and i've emailed them about it, 4wks and counting still NO REPLY FROM THEM <_< i wonder why LOL :lol:

im not impressed coz the TRD S/C for 97-01 Camry produces the same power. so I thought they would put a much powerful TRD S/C on the 2006 Camry. lets say 200kw + :lol:

but hey anything over 142kw is good enough for me :P

Edited by leasaunce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In revealing plans for a supercharged V6, Toyota also unveiled a move to product distinction, whereby the 2006 model Camry will only come with a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine, the unnamed Avalon replacement will have a 3.5-litre V6. One model of the Avalon replacement gets the supercharger.

no V6 in the new Camry :(

When the bigger 3.5-litre V6 engine gets the supercharger in the (also bigger) Avalon replacement in October next year, these times could fall to a very respectable 6.5 seconds

sweet :D the 3.5 S/C V6 sounds good B)

i know what i want for my next car :lol:

Edited by Terry

In revealing plans for a supercharged V6, Toyota also unveiled a move to product distinction, whereby the 2006 model Camry will only come with a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine, the unnamed Avalon replacement will have a 3.5-litre V6. One model of the Avalon replacement gets the supercharger.

no V6 in the new Camry :(

When the bigger 3.5-litre V6 engine gets the supercharger in the (also bigger) Avalon replacement in October next year, these times could fall to a very respectable 6.5 seconds

sweet :D the 3.5 S/C V6 sounds good B)

i know what i want for my next car :lol:

See you in the Avalon forum :P