Brake or Suspension issue ?

I've tried searching for the problem on this forum but can't seem to find anyone with the same issue. :(

This morning, thought i'd put one of the rims that i bought, onto the corolla. i raised the car and heard loud creaking noise - thought it would be the coil stretching so i didnt think twice of it. Put the rims on, fit well, and took it off to put the stock ones back on. Lowered the car, tightened the bolts and what not.

Then for no particular reason, i sit in the back of my car and theres this very loud creaking noise. Much like when you're walking up a set of old stairs. But this noise i heard would be a bit more abrasive and metallic. I thought, yeah maybe their cold or whatever, so i warm the car up and drive it around the block and pop it into my driveway again. Again i sat in the back and the creaking is still audible.

You know how sometimes when you release the brakes very very slowly, you get that creaking sound. I think it's like that for every car but mine has gone even louder than what ive been use to hearing. There never use to be any creaking when someone sat in the back seat.

The car is reasonably new. Only 8000 odd km, stock rims and tyres, and according to the toyota service report...are only 20% worn.

Has anyone with the same car had the same problem ? (ZRE152)

Thank You.

EDIT: Car was serviced 2-3 months ago with no issues reported

Edited by BlackKnight

Does the ZRE have an internal handbrake drum like the ZZE? Or does it activate the caliper/have a second caliper?

Without hearing it can't say for certain, but if it is coming from the rear it might be the handbrake shoes moving slightly. Nothing to worry about if it still holds the car on a slope, the ZZE's on occasion make a creaking noise.

just worried me that it sounded incredibly louder than usual. i dont think its anything to do with the handbrake though, when releasing the brake slowly moving forward or in reverse the sound is audible.

hopefully itll go away after a while, if not, toyota service department it is.

Sounds like the normal graunching noise from the brakes to me. Handbrake is integrated into the rear caliper in the zre152. Dealership will most likely tell you its normal and a characteristic of this model.

Edited by jaybee

as superdave said. it if's still audible with the handbrake disengaged, chances are the shoes are out of adjustment. a good little DIY.

if that doesnt fix it, the rear brakes might be binding (no idea why). go for a spin and drive normally. if after the drive the rear brakes are significantly hotter than the front brakes, then that'll be the cause. but i hightly doubt it would be this.

Edited by lateralus