A Century of Motoring in America

DHC09

It's the retards that buy large SUV's for status here.......

Car companies need to realise lightweight = great :D

Don't need; ABS, electric windows, power steering, heated seats, sunroof or electric seats. Imagine how cheap the cars would be too!

It's the retards that buy large SUV's for status here.......

Car companies need to realise lightweight = great :D

Don't need; ABS, electric windows, power steering, heated seats, sunroof or electric seats. Imagine how cheap the cars would be too!

It's not the companies that need to realise that. The Japanese have been pumping out minimalist cars for years (eg. the humble corolla).

Unfortunately, your average (jerry springer spec) consumer would rather: put the heating on 4 than wear an extra shirt; hit a button rather than wind a handle to open the window; something huge just in case they need to carry their kids/crash into someone elses kids; 22 inches of chrome to show how much money they just wasted.

With the notable exception of ASG14, I wager that there are over 100 million such consumers in the USA alone - hence why Ford, GM, and Chrysler lasted as long as they did.

Edited by Leroy

^ I live in a RICH area, and a massive percentage of the SUV's here (Large one's, not small liek the Rav4) are driven by people who will never take them off road, and only have 1 or 2 kids. I nearly got run off the road 2 times in 1 month a couple years back by a woman on her cell phone driving a Hummer that could not stay in a lane. Say, out of the 20 people I have known over the last couple years, only 2 had a legit NEED to have an SUV. My Uncle that towed a boat, and my friend (Sadly died a month ago) that had a Chevy Suburban and towed a 2 car enclosed trailer many times through the year. Most of the time all I see is a driver and maybe 1 kid in an SUV.

Sadly, many use the excuse "it's safer" then a car. You guys in Aus would laugh if you knew what percentage of accidents in snow were SUV's that flip over or skid off the road because they are so heavy.......It's pitiful.

• 2 weeks later...
i want fuel efficient super cars dammit!

New 911 isn't fuel efficient enough for you?

Tesla roadster?

Lotus Elise/Exige (fuel consumption of a Corolla, power-to-weight of a Porsche)?

rofl at prius fuel efficiency compared to ford model t

46mpg plays 21mpg

Well it is sorta laughable... because the model T's 21mpg is equivalent to roughly 11 L per 100km. Which is the current norm for falcons and commodores. <_<

The prius, on the other hand, works out at about 5 L per 100km.

Sure the prius (and those 'other' cars) has air-con, electric seats, sunroof, etc - but considering all the other automotive advancements in the last century, we haven't come that far with fuel effeciency.

Edited by Leroy

rofl at prius fuel efficiency compared to ford model t

46mpg plays 21mpg

Well it is sorta laughable... because the model T's 21mpg is equivalent to roughly 11 L per 100km. Which is the current norm for falcons and commodores. <_<

The prius, on the other hand, works out at about 5 L per 100km.

Sure the prius (and those 'other' cars) has air-con, electric seats, sunroof, etc - but considering all the other automotive advancements in the last century, we haven't come that far with fuel effeciency.

But consider that the 500kg Model T puttered around with a top speed of 60-odd km/h from a 2.9L 4 cylinder engine putting out 15kw. We get more than 3 times the power out of an engine a third of the capacity in a car twice the weight, or 10-15 times the power out of the same capacity in a car 3 times the weight, and travelling at more than twice the speed.

Absolutely, fuel consumption hasn't changed much. Fuel efficiency has, however, majorly.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Yea I was going to say 21mpg is about 10-11L/100km. So my car has the same economy as a Ford Model T lol

^ I live in a RICH area, and a massive percentage of the SUV's here (Large one's, not small liek the Rav4) are driven by people who will never take them off road, and only have 1 or 2 kids. I nearly got run off the road 2 times in 1 month a couple years back by a woman on her cell phone driving a Hummer that could not stay in a lane. Say, out of the 20 people I have known over the last couple years, only 2 had a legit NEED to have an SUV. My Uncle that towed a boat, and my friend (Sadly died a month ago) that had a Chevy Suburban and towed a 2 car enclosed trailer many times through the year. Most of the time all I see is a driver and maybe 1 kid in an SUV.

Sadly, many use the excuse "it's safer" then a car. You guys in Aus would laugh if you knew what percentage of accidents in snow were SUV's that flip over or skid off the road because they are so heavy.......It's pitiful.

I agree with you, but its not only the people in the US that think that. Many people here think so too, I had to convince a friend not to buy a big old car and choose the smaller newer car, cause she thought the big car was far safer than the small car. This style of thinking is very evident with many people who dont know a lot about cars, because they dont understand how far technology has come in just 20 years. Thats why these people go out and buy an SUV, because they dont understand that the little corolla in the showroom is just as safe.

^ If not SAFER due to the new age safety equipment is what people don;t understand sadly...... At least you got through to her.

As for the Model T, at least it's fun!

1st pic is me, 2nd, click the pic, and it will play a video (friend driving, his car).

Picture5151.jpg

th_Picture5167.jpg

Edited by ASG14