lil help for new corolla owner...

hey people, i've recently bought myself an ae101 corolla with the 1.6 litre engine (my second toyota...recently sold a mr2 gt turb) and i have a few maintenance type Q's i'm hoping you can answer:

1) Its due for a 100K service shortly and i'm taking it to CMI on West Terrace, do these guys have a decent reputation? Or should i use a private mechanic?

2) The front brake pads and rear drums need to be replaced, i want to replace them with something just a little better than standard. Will CMI only use standard toyota parts or will i be able to get them to use different pads? What pads would you recommend? I find that the stopping power isnt as good as i'd like atm.

3) After the 100K service i'll do oil changes myself, what oil should i use? Any decent semi-synth or a mineral? about a 15-40?

Thats all i've got for the moment but being new to corollas i'm sure i'll have a few more questions in the not to distant future.

Thanks in advance!

hey people, i've recently bought myself an ae101 corolla with the 1.6 litre engine (my second toyota...recently sold a mr2 gt turb) and i have a few maintenance type Q's i'm hoping you can answer:

1) Its due for a 100K service shortly and i'm taking it to CMI on West Terrace, do these guys have a decent reputation?  Or should i use a private mechanic?

2) The front brake pads and rear drums need to be replaced, i want to replace them with something just a little better than standard.  Will CMI only use standard toyota parts or will i be able to get them to use different pads?  What pads would you recommend?  I find that the stopping power isnt as good as i'd like atm.

3) After the 100K service i'll do oil changes myself, what oil should i use?  Any decent semi-synth or a mineral?  about a 15-40?

Thats all i've got for the moment but being new to corollas i'm sure i'll have a few more questions in the not to distant future.

Thanks in advance!

1- Wots a CMI? Are they a Toyota dealer or not? If yes, they will use genuine toyota parts, if not, who knows what they will use.

2- Who knows, specifiy what you want and ask them to produce the empty boxes when installed.

3- Anything half decent, Castrol Magnetex will do.

Other - Isn;t the 100k service, do you have to change the timing belt as well? Check your service manual dude before you do anything.

4afe is injected. The belt should be replaced at the 100K service.

Use whatever grade oil is specified in the owners manual unless the car is burning oil (unlikely)

The 100K service is usually a major service, so your wallet will be significantly lighter afterwoods. Usually includes timing belt, coolant and box oil change, plugs, all filters etc. a lot more labour than the usual plain old oil swap and grease door hinges.