2AZ Mods?

Lupetto

Turbo is 10x better than supercharger when it comes to making power. I'm making 276WHP, 299wtorque at just 9.5PSI. No supercharger for the TC can even touch those numbers. My friend was running 299WHP, 344Wtorque in his camry.

Turbo is a lot more complicated than most people think on the 2AZ...

One of the most important things about the turbokit is the wastegate. You do not skimp out on that.

Even if you do get your hands on a good system, rest assured, its going to cost you a gang of money. First of all, you need to do custom work on your engine block. This means that you're going to have to actually shave your engine block to get the TC turbo manifold to fit. This is enough to make any professional cringe lol. And make sure your turbo manifold is of good quality also, one of my friend's manifold just cracked. Cheapo.

After this, even though the kit fits a scion perfectly, it doesn't fit the camry. So you're going to have to do custom work for your IC piping. This is either moderately hard to very hard. You're going to have to fabricate your own intake, whether its SRI or CAI. Maf sensors etc etc.

You'll also need an aftermarket ECU. This ECU can range from 1,000 dollars to 2,000 dollars USD. I have the AEM piggyback system. If you do get this ECU, you'll have to do the resistor mod on it. This is by far the most popular ECU for the 2AZ, but resistor mod must be done to get your car runnning smoothly.

Then you're going to have to go to your exhaust shop to fabricate your downpipe and all your turbo piping. Along with your exhaust piping, the shop will charge you anywhere from 500-700 USD dollars for a full mandrel bent system.

The price of that turbokit definitely does not reflect how much itll cost in real life. Turbokit + piping + ECU + dyno and tune. Dynotune alone is around 500-600 USD dollars lol. You must get it tuned to have your car run properly and even safely.

And all your gauges and other accessories... Extra $$

In my Gen6 and my friend's, we actually had to delete our windshield wiper fluid. Theres no space for the IC piping! We also have to shave the front bumper support to make space for the intercooler lol.

Brand named wastegate and a good quality turbo. Go with a MANUAL boost controller, not electric! I guarantee you, 100% of my friends electric boost controllers have spiked before.

Spiking: Say you set your boost to 5psi. Out of the blue, your wastegate wil spike to 30PSI for a split second under load. This means for a split second, you'll go 30psi.... Not good for your car. Many cars have blown their turbos/motors this way. Go with a manual boost controller, just your standard wategate with a psi spring.

After you get a quality kit, just remember its a lot of custom work... But if do decide to go through with it, you're gonna love your car more than you love your own mother lol.

Edited by PrincessPeach

Turbo is 10x better than supercharger when it comes to making power. I'm making 276WHP, 299wtorque at just 9.5PSI. No supercharger for the TC can even touch those numbers. My friend was running 299WHP, 344Wtorque in his camry.

Turbo is a lot more complicated than most people think on the 2AZ...

One of the most important things about the turbokit is the wastegate. You do not skimp out on that.

Even if you do get your hands on a good system, rest assured, its going to cost you a gang of money. First of all, you need to do custom work on your engine block. This means that you're going to have to actually shave your engine block to get the TC turbo manifold to fit. This is enough to make any professional cringe lol. And make sure your turbo manifold is of good quality also, one of my friend's manifold just cracked. Cheapo.

After this, even though the kit fits a scion perfectly, it doesn't fit the camry. So you're going to have to do custom work for your IC piping. This is either moderately hard to very hard. You're going to have to fabricate your own intake, whether its SRI or CAI. Maf sensors etc etc.

You'll also need an aftermarket ECU. This ECU can range from 1,000 dollars to 2,000 dollars USD. I have the AEM piggyback system. If you do get this ECU, you'll have to do the resistor mod on it. This is by far the most popular ECU for the 2AZ, but resistor mod must be done to get your car runnning smoothly.

Then you're going to have to go to your exhaust shop to fabricate your downpipe and all your turbo piping. Along with your exhaust piping, the shop will charge you anywhere from 500-700 USD dollars for a full mandrel bent system.

The price of that turbokit definitely does not reflect how much itll cost in real life. Turbokit + piping + ECU + dyno and tune. Dynotune alone is around 500-600 USD dollars lol. You must get it tuned to have your car run properly and even safely.

And all your gauges and other accessories... Extra $$

In my Gen6 and my friend's, we actually had to delete our windshield wiper fluid. Theres no space for the IC piping! We also have to shave the front bumper support to make space for the intercooler lol.

Brand named wastegate and a good quality turbo. Go with a MANUAL boost controller, not electric! I guarantee you, 100% of my friends electric boost controllers have spiked before.

Spiking: Say you set your boost to 5psi. Out of the blue, your wastegate wil spike to 30PSI for a split second under load. This means for a split second, you'll go 30psi.... Not good for your car. Many cars have blown their turbos/motors this way. Go with a manual boost controller, just your standard wategate with a psi spring.

After you get a quality kit, just remember its a lot of custom work... But if do decide to go through with it, you're gonna love your car more than you love your own mother lol.

Do you have a wright on how you did the work on yours? would love to read it.

Do you have a est cost? im looking to invest 10k into it for full job done... but ide like a est if its overboard.

thanks for your comment btw :)

• 12 years later...