Leather wrap wear

Milgram

Since I bought my car, I've noticed slowly the black paint on the leather wrap is coming off, particularly on parts of the wheel I hold whilst driving. I did a Google search and it appears to be a common problem with any car with a leather wrap.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it worth using an automotive leather conditioner to soften up the wheel a little? - it has become a bit "dry" looking and slippery over time. Any ideas on what a motor trimmer would charge to re-wrap the wheel?

Any help is most appreciated, thx.

Really? I've never had this issue... Since you say that, I might re-invest with another wheel cover :) My car's parked in a garage most of the time but at work it's out in the sun..

How's the shifter going? Any issue there??

The shifter is worn in parts too, but at $220 (price Toyota quoted me for a new geniune one), I'm happy to live with it.

I might invest in a wheel cover, there are some that are plain black at the local Auto shop which would suit fine. I rarely leave the car in the sun (and if I do, the wheel gets covered). I'm thinking the previous owner might have treated the wheel and gear knob with something and hence it was spared from much wear.

There's always a possibility that the previous owner's "treated" the wheel and shifter.

I could imagine sun damage on the wheel... but the shifter? Not likely. Mine both look like brand new...

I ended up getting a wheel cover that moulded perfectly to my one... but you need to get used to the stitching seams, even with the leather seams on the wheel.