1976 Toyota Crown owner's manual?

shabbylee

Hi all,

I just bought a 1976 Toyota Crown CS and while it's in average condition bodywise, it still drives quite well.

What I'd like to ask is whether anyone can let me know a little bit more about those cars in general.

For example, there appears to be a knob missing next to the knob that adjusts the speedo and dash lights. Is it important? Above those knobs are two horizontal red lights that I have no idea about. Does the push button switch next to the AC operate the rear window demister? Does anyone have an owner's manual I can get a photocopy of?

I've read on other blogs about a switch in the glovebox, a boot release switch and fuel injection. I can't find any of those. Were they for the Super Saloon?

The RWC it got was a little dodgy. For example, the horn and hazard lights don't work. I'm going to take it in for a service and to fix a few things like the horn, hazard lights, AC (missing a belt and probably more) and if I can afford it, I'll put in a new stereo. The AM radio in it doesn't work and I put in a cassette (Cleo Laine 1977 that I got from the op shop) but it sounded like a Judas Priest album being played backwards.

Bit worried that I ended up with a not so good version of the Crown, especially seeing a couple on eBay at the moment.

Can anyone help?

Alf

• 2 weeks later...

i bought my 76 toyota crown super saloon last september and have been tinkering with it ever since.

i've been trying to download/copy as much info about them off the net as i can but it can be hard to weed out some useful info from all the other crap that comes up in the search results.

i do have a repair manual for it that i picked up off've Oztion and can copy (for personal backup purposes only of course :) ) if u really need them but it'll take time as i got my wedding sat week.

lemme know what knobs ur looking for if u find/not find them but for some of those u mentioned the two horizontal red bars are indicator lights, the top to show the headlights are on and the lower one to show u've depressed the brake pedal (i'm happy to be corrected if wrong).

my horn also doesn't work too so i think it may be one of those common issues with them, but the bullet proof motor generally makes up for it! And when i got the car there wasn't a belt on the a/c, try checking it with ur hand first then maybe try with a belt from supercheap for about $17....it'll prolly need a gas exchange depending on when it was last serviced.

my main bit of advice would be to start with very specific google searches for crown info and go from there.

anything else just holler.

i bought my 76 toyota crown super saloon last september and have been tinkering with it ever since.

i've been trying to download/copy as much info about them off the net as i can but it can be hard to weed out some useful info from all the other crap that comes up in the search results.

i do have a repair manual for it that i picked up off've Oztion and can copy (for personal backup purposes only of course :) ) if u really need them but it'll take time as i got my wedding sat week.

lemme know what knobs ur looking for if u find/not find them but for some of those u mentioned the two horizontal red bars are indicator lights, the top to show the headlights are on and the lower one to show u've depressed the brake pedal (i'm happy to be corrected if wrong).

my horn also doesn't work too so i think it may be one of those common issues with them, but the bullet proof motor generally makes up for it! And when i got the car there wasn't a belt on the a/c, try checking it with ur hand first then maybe try with a belt from supercheap for about $17....it'll prolly need a gas exchange depending on when it was last serviced.

my main bit of advice would be to start with very specific google searches for crown info and go from there.

anything else just holler.

Hey there,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, especially since you have your wedding to pay attention to!

So will you have your Crown ready in time for wedding duties?

If that offer is still on to get photocopies of the controls section of your manual, I'd sure like to take you up on it. I've been pretty specific with my searches but have come up empty handed.

I tried my lights and my brakes but those two red horizontal things on the dash just don't light up. I won't do anything about the AC till spring. No money and the rego is about to fall due. The horn works now. The contacts just needed a clean.

Since my first post, I discovered that there was a bit of rust in the boot on the other side of where the licence plate and lights sit. Luckily a local panelbeater said that it should still be safe enough since the bumpers are bolted straight onto the rails.

Bugger.

I filled the tank again today and worked out that I'm getting 19L/100km. I might as well be driving a stretch limo with a spa pool on the back. I'd be getting similar mileage!

Double bugger.

It crossed my mind to sell the car in the next fortnight so that the RWC would still be current and get something less guzzly.

But then I'd be back where I started, only poorer. At least I managed to get a CD player put in so I have sounds now.

BTW, have you ever visited the Australian Classic Car site? It's http://www.ccar.com.au/

They've done three articles on the Toyota Crown. One is specifically on the 1976 model. The guy whose car they feature has sunk some ridiculous amount like $30-35k into it. Crazy.

Have a good day on Saturday. Congratulations. Hope you go somewhere warm for your honeymoon, man. Look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

Adios.

Hi again.

Got some pics of the Yakuza Cruiser. Has a pretty good interior, but as I said before, average body.

Been thinking that I wouldn't mind trading up to an older Crown, maybe a late 60s or early 70s one. Has anyone come across any lately that could suit the bill as a reliable daily driver?

Cheers.

post-12649-1240407591_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407630_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407649_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407674_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407706_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407738_thumb.jpg

post-12649-1240407771_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
If you're still looking for some fellow crown nuts go and check us out at

http://classicrown.multiply.com

This used to be a huge site on the old ninemsn groups pages...but everyone has had to move to mulitply now.

stru.

Thanks, Stru.

I'd been told about the ninemsn group but was disappointed when I found out it disbanded. I appreciate the info on where to find you now.

Cheers.

Alf

• 3 weeks later...

So hopefully Alf is still on this even though he (stupidly :) ) sold his car...

Yes the rust is still rusty but the weather hasn't been particularly good at letting me fix that up, battery replacement fixed the power issues you mentioned. I haven't experienced the petrol guzzling but I am well used to it from other cars so perhaps that is why.

I am still damn happy I bought the little beast, head gasket went last week and was quoted $900 to fix, have made enquiries just in case it is more than the gasket and can get an import engine in for not much more than $1500 (might be more worth it in the end anyway than just replacing the gasket, happy to take opinions) so even adding that to cost price I have still gotten way more than I would have buying a stupid little excel which is pretty much the only other choice I was looking at with the budget I had.

I'm glad I got the chance to own a car like this and am now looking at mechanics apprenticeships so that I can keep it without spending heaps of money on it, although I think I'd be taking about a $200 per week paycut to do an apprenticeship I think it would be worth it in job satisfaction :)

Anyway, I'm now looking for the manuals that are required, I've found many different variations on the 4M engine manual and am wondering if anyone knows is this just to do with different dates they were printed or is it going to be a lot more specific than that? Apologies to ignorance but the only mechanical knowledge I have is from experience and although plenty it does mean I fail in some of the basics like, how to find the right manual...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...