air filter or air intake?

MR 988

hey guys, i am planning to change my old air filter to K&N air filter in order to improve performance. But ppl said it would not much different. is that ture? so should i change to pod air intake?any suggestions please?

hey guys, i am planning to change my old air filter to K&N air filter in order to improve performance. But ppl said it would not much different. is that ture? so should i change to pod air intake?any suggestions please?

with a drop-in panel filter, you will get a louder induction sound, and a slightly deeper engine note as there's not as much restriction. however, at most you will only gain a couple of kw, which probably wont be very noticeable. but it is a small yet effective mod that doesnt have a massive price tag, so it is a decent bang for your buck idea. however if you get this, because the filter is oiled from time to time you will have to clean your MAF sensor to rid it of excess oil otherwise your car will get harder to start and idle rougher.

if you go for a pod, you're either looking at an sri or cai. both of these do the job when installed properly, but are relatively expensive, even if you do make one yourself. even then, you will only get an even louder induction and again slightly deeper engine note, but you will lose low-end torque, which if you have the 2az-fe i wouldnt recommend (as it would feel like it couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding from a standing start)

with either one, you will only gain a few kw, maybe 2-5 depending on how well your engine is tuned. so its upto you to way up the cost vs effectiveness. i'd personally go for the drop-in panel filter.

another idea is what i have done with mine. i cant remember the 2az-fe. but the 1mz-fe has the intake snorkler positioned behind the left-hand headlight, with the intake pipe continuing down behind the bumper to the lower intake resonator (plastic box that helps to create intake vacuum). i've removed the resonator on mine, and put some reinforced silicone piping from where it was mounted, to just next to the front opening on the bumper. this way, i can keep the stock intake with a k&n filter and help to channel cold air into the engine. i just dont think the standard setup gets a great deal of air

Edited by lateralus

Hey lateralus, would that info apply to ZRE Corolla as well? Also is there much difference between the K&N and the TRD panel filters?

Iam putting off CAI cos of warranty for now.

Cheers

Hey lateralus, would that info apply to ZRE Corolla as well? Also is there much difference between the K&N and the TRD panel filters?

Iam putting off CAI cos of warranty for now.

Cheers

never seen a trd panel filter, so i cant comment. but if it has a wavy surface, and thus lots of surface area, and the media isnt really thick, then they should give the same sort of performance. even if one did have a structural advantage over the other, when youre replacing only the air filter you wont notice anything