Problem with Shocks on a '99 Camry Touring

Hey all,

I've have been getting some noise from the shocks on my '99 camry touring.

When the car hits a rough patch of road, i get a baffled thumping sort of noise. For example: I'd get 3 or 4 consecutive thumps in quick succession when i drive over a poorly patched-up pothole or road section.

Sounds like its coming from the shock itself. I have checked out the suspension components, bushes etc, and all seems in order without any freeplay there.

The camry has been running on slightly lowered King Springs and 17 inch rubber for a while now and was quite a bumpy ride,... so i recently replaced these with original 15 inch alloys which has reduced the noise severity and ride harshness to some degree. (still runs great though!)

I dont know what brand the existing shock is,.. but it looks as if someone has cut the top off a shock and pressed on a cover plate which the rod pokes through. Ive never seen this before.

I assume its some freeplay in the shocks themselves. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue previously and can help with some information.

Failing any possible other outcomes,.. what brand of shockies would you recommend if i dont have too much to spend.

I have heard the KYB brand are ok,. and have been quoted about $150 each here in sydney. Is that reasonable?

Also,.. i rang KYB Sydney office,.. who said theyre products arent suited to the Touring model. One of their distributors in Blacktown said they're OK for use on a Touring.

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

swampie

I agree the strut hats are stuffed. Around the $90 each from Toyota. The bearings under the strut hats are around the $40 mark each. I'm on my 3rd set now at 208,000kms.

Toyota also sell the shock as a separate piece (don't have to buy a complete strut) at a comparable price to the KYB's, which are Bilsteins standard on the Touring series.

Edited by SupaTouring