85 Corona Stereo Install

bribri

I have recently aquired a 85 Corona 2.4 litre version. it still has the original philips tape deck in it which i would like to swap for something a little more "current" as you would understand. the problem is i can't figure out how to remove the surround from the centre console area. i removed the crews from behind the ash tray but when i tried to pull it off it felt like it was going to break. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Well hey I got the same corona by the sounds of it.

To take it out the screws for the ash tray have nothing to do with the taking the tape deck out.

The Plastic casing that goes around that center bit including the tape ashtray and the heater controls etc. Pull it off that should unclip off.

Then you will see screws that are next to the tape deck unit unscrew them and wola! Should be all that to be done. Pull the unit out.

Well anyways im positive that is. I did the same after my 2din DVD unit was installed and thats how it was set up.

Let me know how it goes.

yeah, i tried to pull the plastic off but it actually looked like the plastic and the tape deck were sorta one piece. i know its hard to imagine with out a pic but i got no camera at the moment, but if you imagine the knobs of the tape deck on each side, the black plastic behind them looks to be one piece with the plastic surround. then it is seperated just next to where the tape actually slides in. kinda like you have to remove the volume and tuning knobs before pulling it off.

• 4 weeks later...

hahahaha

hey boys and girls!

I remember my corona endevour.

I'm pretty sure the interior is similar as I had the 2.0L S 83 model but it was the same shape corona

Yes the surround is really realy scary...

It will be abit hard to explain but from memory:

The plastic surround for the deck is tucked behind the top dash section (where the vents are)

So you would need to pull the bottom out first and kind of pull the whole thing down and out.

And yes, the plastic is connected to the surround (in reference to the plastic behind the tape deck)

In this case try to remove the knobs first, so it might be easier to rip out.

Might be a little hard as well if you have the A/C button at the top, but removing it will be pretty much the same way as mentioned.

Once you have removed this, you will probably need to cut the plastic which was for the tape deck, so you can then house your new deck.

These Toyotas can handle alittle bit of excessive force, as I had done so myself.

Note also that there is a them rubber sticky strips going around the whole thing, so it might be a little sticky and hard to get out.

So again, excessive force is recommended.

But make sure you plan out cutting the plastic backing for the tape deck knobs as the pocket and the plastic backing are all one piece with the surround.

BTW this is from memory and it was 3-4 years ago when I had my beloved Bright yellow Corona.

Hope this helps and good luck!

If not, i'm pretty sure there are still plenty of coronas in wrecking yards to get a replacement if it all goes wrong.

But yeah the only screw from memory, as mentioned, is the one where the ash tray is.

Once you have removed it it will be easy to put back in and take out as it is just all clips around the frame.