Car "sputters" loss of power when driving

Whip Cracker

Hey guys,

Was on a cruise yesterday with SupaTouring and A yesterday and came across a weird problem...

When in 4th gear (overdrive on my Auto) on a 3VZFE engine, and put the foot on the throttle, I get this sputtering noise, sporadic... drops the acceleration when it does it too... it can sputter when driving on a flat road, or going up a hill. It can do this "sputtering" noise 5 times a second no problem. It gives you the feeling that it could be bad fuel not burning correctly or something.

I've used 98 octane V Power in this for quite some time... the only thing that myself and a couple of others think it could be is either fuel filter, dirty injectors or maybe even the timing being out... maybe even bad fuel. I'm not 100% sure but the mechanic reckons to change the fuel filter in the engine bay first and see if that helps... then to go looking down the lines of getting the injectors cleaned.

Anyone got any ideas? It didn't happen when idling in P, but I noticed this morning when pulling outta the driveway and sitting the car waiting for the garage door to close, the car sputtered a little bit... has been happening for the last day or so, slightly noticed it Wednesday/Thursday after I filled up.

Thanks lads

Hey people,

Symptoms have changed now... after leaving work this arvo, it now is CONSTANT!! Hahahaha... sounds seriously like a boxer engine from a WRX with the full exhaust and the likes... very throaty.

My uncle (offroad buggy racer) reckons it's a spark plug not firing... very lumpy sitting in D when at the lights... just a royal pain in the ****.

I'm expecting the fuel economy to go out the window until I get the plugs replaced... prob gonna change the plugs to some NGK Iridiums if I can... give it a bit more spark anyway :)

Any other suggestions to the problem would be awesome too... not lookin forward to replacing the rear bank!!

Hey people,

Symptoms have changed now... after leaving work this arvo, it now is CONSTANT!! Hahahaha... sounds seriously like a boxer engine from a WRX with the full exhaust and the likes... very throaty.

My uncle (offroad buggy racer) reckons it's a spark plug not firing... very lumpy sitting in D when at the lights... just a royal pain in the ****.

I'm expecting the fuel economy to go out the window until I get the plugs replaced... prob gonna change the plugs to some NGK Iridiums if I can... give it a bit more spark anyway :)

Any other suggestions to the problem would be awesome too... not lookin forward to replacing the rear bank!!

Definitely plugs or leads, although I'd put my money on plugs :)

EDIT: Don't waste your money on Iridiums. I was getting them while I could get them for cheap, but considering you can get a whole set of NGK standard plugs for less than the cost of two Iridiums, it's really not worth it.

Edited by the_random_hero

Thanks lads,

Money's not really a problem, obviously Iridiums are expensive, but if they're gonna spark better than Platinums and last longer, then why not? My uncle notices the difference... mind you, he was racing an offroad buggy with an SR20 GTiR hahahhahaa

I'm just gonna double-check that the leads in the dizzy are seated correctly and also onto the plugs... they probably need replacing anyway.

Thanks guys

Yeah true... will need to have a looksie at that...

I didn't notice much oil when I checked the dizzy a sec ago... more down on the block? Who knows... I'll get the uncle to have a look in a couple of hours.

EDIT: Don't waste your money on Iridiums. I was getting them while I could get them for cheap, but considering you can get a whole set of NGK standard plugs for less than the cost of two Iridiums, it's really not worth it.

Iridiums are much more worthwhile for FWD V6 engines where spark-plug changes on the rear bank are a hassle....

Iridiums are much more worthwhile for FWD V6 engines where spark-plug changes on the rear bank are a hassle....

Ahh, I hadn't considered that but it's a very valid point. Also the reason why Magna's come out with 3 good plugs and 3 ****ty ones :P Whenever I service my car, I do absolutely everything in one go so I know it will last me till the next service, but then again I have a nice and easy 4 banger so I can have a complete service done with very minor tools and only a car jack in a single morning.

UPDATE:

At the end of the day, it was a Spark Plug.

The front bank on the right... pull the lead out whilst the car's running... didn't change anything. Pull out the other two, and can hear an obvious change in the engine.

Replaced the front bank with the NGK Iridium IX plugs, gonna get the rear bank replaced by the mechanic next week when I also replace the front-bottom engine mount... stuff changing them!

Thanks for everyone's input!