Full consumption for 2002 Camry CSi MCV20R 3.0L v6 station wagon

knowthroughroad

Hi ,

I recently , bought a 2002 Toyota Camry CSi MCV20R 3.0L v6 station wagon and am wondering if the fuel consumption is a bit high at 14.5 L per 100k

Ive put about 55L in several times and have got between 360 and 390 kms from that before I refilled.

The driving has all been in suburban area's and to and from work ... Should i be getting better fuel economy ?

A friend at work suggested that it was a bit high and that it migh be the fuel injectors.

I have the full service history it has regulary been serviced at a toyota dealer and i had a minor service

and timing belt replaced as soon as i got it RACV gave it all thumbs up .

Thanks

N

That is EXTREMELY high! What is your driving style? Do you like floor it off the line every single time ???? Do you sit in traffic everyday for huge periods of time?

Have you checked your tyre pressure? What fuel are you running?

I'd suggest maybe resetting the ecu. - Taking the neg off the battery over night and see if that helps.

As Anthony suggested, try resetting the ECU... I disconnect the Neg terminal and pump the brakes a couple of times to try and drain any excess power... leave for a couple of hours, plug back on and off you go.

Sounds like the car needs a bit of a tune mate...

I'm not a lead foot , and dont gunn it but don't drive "like a little old lady" either

On the way to work I'm am stuck in traffic in the mornings .... it will take 25-35 min to go 10km from Caufield to Collingwood about the same in the arvos, mostly stuck around the bridge crossing the South Eastern in Burnley / Richmond way

I found this link too , and am not sure , what is being meant by driving the car hard

resetting the ECU

Do you mean go on a long freeway drive etc at 100km/hr .... or just drive it aggressively?

around town? on a race track??

I havent driven a car with an ECU before , and dont know what to expect.

Should i reset the ECU ... as you describe and then just drive to work?

Things i did notice when i got the car that sometimes it would seem to accellerate differently when i was diving the same

that it would slowdown a bit quicker or accelerate longer after i took my foot off it, but that seems to have settled down now.

The car has done 240,000 km when i got it ... it was high and i was concerned but it was at redbook price from a dealer with warranty and in great condition.

I got it serviced at by Toyota for a minor service and timing belt change as that not been done !! a week after i got it

They gave me the full service history as i asked for it and i can see that the Engine computer was checked for fault codes at 135,000km service.

what do you think..... sould they have picked up any issues with ECU or any thing else ....

i said they could have gone ahead and done a major service if needed, as it would be due for one at 247,000 KM

I hope its not the kms that have reduce the economy ... RACV gave it a full check

I'm not a lead foot , and dont gunn it but don't drive "like a little old lady" either

On the way to work I'm am stuck in traffic in the mornings .... it will take 25-35 min to go 10km from Caufield to Collingwood about the same in the arvos, mostly stuck around the bridge crossing the South Eastern in Burnley / Richmond way

I found this link too , and am not sure , what is being meant by driving the car hard

resetting the ECU

Do you mean go on a long freeway drive etc at 100km/hr .... or just drive it aggressively?

around town? on a race track??

I havent driven a car with an ECU before , and dont know what to expect.

Should i reset the ECU ... as you describe and then just drive to work?

Things i did notice when i got the car that sometimes it would seem to accellerate differently when i was diving the same

that it would slowdown a bit quicker or accelerate longer after i took my foot off it, but that seems to have settled down now.

The car has done 240,000 km when i got it ... it was high and i was concerned but it was at redbook price from a dealer with warranty and in great condition.

I got it serviced at by Toyota for a minor service and timing belt change as that not been done !! a week after i got it

They gave me the full service history as i asked for it and i can see that the Engine computer was checked for fault codes at 135,000km service.

what do you think..... sould they have picked up any issues with ECU or any thing else ....

i said they could have gone ahead and done a major service if needed, as it would be due for one at 247,000 KM

I hope its not the kms that have reduce the economy ... RACV gave it a full check

By resetting the ECU it will then learn how u drive and adapt to that. The others mentioned driving hard but this would only be if you were looking for performance, if u r just a typical daily driver then just drive the way u always do and the ECU will learn this and it is possible that the fuel consumption will drop, if it doesn't there is no harm done by resetting it anyway

you summed it up right there mate! that's a long time to spend in stop-start traffic and idling, so that explains your crappy fuel consumption figures.

if you do that sort of driving, perhaps make your tyre pressures higher than normal (say 38 psi all round) to help reduce the inertia of taking off, this will reduce consumption by a bit. it also wouldnt harm your car giving it a bottle of injector cleaner, etc. keep in mind you wont get miraculous changes, but it may be fairly noticable.

in this situation, resetting the ecu wont make much difference.

When you're spending half of the driving time, *not driving*, what could you expect? It's going to use fuel when you're sitting in idle... lol.

If you were say, normal driving... through normal streets without bad congestion etc, and you STILL had that figure, then yeh, that's not good.

If anything, you'll get a more accurate calculation on the amount of time the car is RUNNING per litre used, and honestly, that's not even accurate at all.